World Sea Fishing Forums banner

stretching Duplon Grip

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  STAN M 
#1 ·
Hi can any one please tell me how stretchy are Duplon Grips would 19 mm stretch up to 22 mm the reason I ask is I have a rod butt made up of 2 different peices one glued in to the other and the grip neads to cover both peices. any help would be great. thanks

#2 ·
Hi,

i doubt it would stretch that much unless maybe if you first put the duplon in hot water for a while, but then you won't be able to glue it because it's wet.
Why don't you use 22mm internal duplon and build the 19mm rod piece up with sections of masking tape on the blank... make sure to turn all the tape sections the same direction, and allow a couple of mm between each section for the glue (2 part epoxy)

Gert

#3 ·
Do it often on big game rods where it can be difficult to get grips with the correct internal bore. 19mm will go to 22mm easy enough with a bit of thought. In an ideal world find a spare section of blank or something that is tapered to at least 22mm, 23 better. Stick the grip into very hot (not boiling) water for around 10 mins. Take out the water and slide immediately onto the taper section reaching the 22 or passing it. Leave in a cool place for a few hours then take back off.

Again stick it into the hot water and slide over the areas you want to cover using Gorrilla glue (small amount) twisting it as you go. That type of glue is activated by water on non porous surfaces such as a blank. Just be prepared for it expanding and oozing out so mask everything with electrical tape as it wont stick to that so easy, have fun. :):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.