1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for drop net?

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by FishFingerButty, Jan 8, 2017.

1. FishFingerButty

FishFingerButty Member

Hi all
    I am looking to make a drop net. I got the net, but I cannot come up with a cheap alternative for a ring. I thought maybe a old push bike wheel rim but they are proving more expensive to get hold of than I thought.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jeffjeff

jeffjeff Member

could try a hola hoop. would need to be a decent one tho not the pound land crap lol. or get a square one welded up wouldn't cost much and it wouldn't roll along pier wall.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ISW

ISW Member

How about the flexable hoops from a pop up tent, I'm sure you could buy cheap replacement lengths

5. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Always see old bikes at the recycling centre...probably get a rim from there if you have one near you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

If you want a square net, use some plumbers copper Yorkshire fittings for the corners, amd maybe some bamboo poles or similar for the sides, you could even go the whole hog and use copper pipe for the sides as well, then all you would have to do is clean the ends of the copper pipe and fit them into the Yorkshire fittings, give them a blast with a blowlamp and you would have a rigid oblong frame for the net. A square drop net is easier to get a fish into than a round one because it doesnt seem to spin in the tide, plus, you can make it as large as you want .

Failing that as Mr Mud says, I would think that the staff at the recycling cent would be willing to let you have an old bycycle wheel, after all, you are recycling it.... the spokes come in handy as baiting needles as well with a bit of work.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Just make sure the rope is long enough lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tournamag

tournamag Member

Fishing mads one is only good for catching Seagulls in!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. tournamag

tournamag Member

Only issues with copper is that everything will go green seawater/copper=Green gunge

Best one if you know engineering firm etc is frame made from Stainless steel either rebar or box rebars easy to bend to shape can do with small box section also or weld it as to use need weight in it anyway so frame might as well be the weight rather than hanging them off it.

ideally want it to fold so easier to carry then can have a large enough net to get anything in as been said square/rectangular works better than round but a decent rectangular one set up right can use for catching things in while waiting like lobsters etc

10. David1

David1 Member

Last time I went tip looking for a gas bottle to make a foundry with the fella said no. Apparently someone took some electrical item from them got an electric shock whilst fixing and tried to sue them! He said if you try and take the security guard will call the police :eeks:. Sure you will find something buddy a million ways to do it.

11. Treeby

Treeby Member

Why not use a stainless steel shopping basket? You can carry stuff in it as well

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

Been using discarded shopping baskets for years, mostly crab pots, they do rustup over time in salt water, pair of decent jawed pliers cuts the metal no problem

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

....just found this pic off an old facebook,, can catch almost anything in them
    Screenshot_20170109-104417.png

14. Knobby

Knobby Member

As you suggest, a bike wheel is the standard thing and is what I use. As an alternative to copper pipe, how about 21.5mm solvent weld plastic overflow pipe with associated 90 degree couplers for the corners? Cheap as chips from Toolstation or Screwfix and pretty strong - I've made a frame out of it to support netting over my vegetable beds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Knobby

Knobby Member

I like that idea, might have to try it. What do you use for the entry hole?

16. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

Why not get some 316 SS tube and a set of pipe benders, bend the tube to whatever shape you think is best and use a compression union to fix the two ends together, will be almost indestructible and will last almost a lifetime :)

17. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

Just ask on of the lads drive about with the scrap pick ups you'll get one for £1

18. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

Be a lot lighter

19. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

Chicken wire, can also buy the pre made soft entrances for a couple quid and tie them on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sheppey fisher!

Sheppey fisher!

Can anyone get a message to FishFingerButty on there who is asking suggestions for drop net.
    To use an old piece of fishing (cf) net and 25mm MDPE water or gas pipe for rim and good length of blue cord as drop net, it will cost next to nothing to make and will be solid and just use half brick or pebble in it as weight. Light to carry and will lift bass of over 10lbs easy, dont make something flimsy that wont do the job.

21. Knobby

Knobby Member

Excellent, it's obvious now you mention it. Join a couple of supermarket trollies together and you could even make a proper fish trap!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor