1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Suppliers.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by Droflet86, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

Looking for decent websites for fly materials. Trying to buy some bits and bobs to try and tie some shrimp patterns up for the summer but I'm struggling any help would be much appreciated

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. steve w

steve w Member

Cliff Harvey for Hends materials and B100G hooks, also try Orvis their FlashN slinky hair is in their sale as the name says it's synthetic hair with flash incorporated.
    Funky Flytying are also very good.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  4. galoshes

galoshes Member

Splendid stuff Saltwater Fly- I have saved them to my faves- cheers
    Will

5. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips PLASTIC FANTASTIC The hard plastic and rubber guy Deputy Administrator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Please contribute guys,this will be a great resource.

6. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

Cheers saltwaterfly. Lakeland has nearly everything I need. But alot of its out of stock it's like every man and his dog are tying shrimp patterns at the moment.

Biggest thing I'm struggling to find is dyed peacock.

Also I'm thinking of using those shrimp shells but can't seem to find a size guide ie how long is a small or a medium etc

7. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

The dyed peacock was for a pattergriesen style fly I have seen davie Mcphail tie. Was thinking of using other stuff instead of those shells. Seen people use electrical shrink tube. I will pinch some wallets from work before I leave. Never even thought of those.

This is my first year hunting bass with a fly chatting to some people in the know who have given me some patterns and they mentioned it's worth having a shrimp/prawn pattern in the box. And i won't lie they look cool lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BassonFly

BassonFly Member

Here in the Jersey, I've found out , with a lot of perseverance that weighted shrimp patterns tied with long Wapsi or similarly barred legs with organza hackle tied behind the head are deadly for the bass.
    Cast her out and then dead drift. Watch out for sudden takes! image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. BassonFly

BassonFly Member

To be honest,I was using the epoxy Ultra shrimp for a while and catching bass. It's only when you start to tie your own flies, it becomes an obsession to make your patterns as realistic and at the same time,life-like as possible. The worlds your lobster mate. Pardon the pun. (Even started tying them!)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips PLASTIC FANTASTIC The hard plastic and rubber guy Deputy Administrator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Great thread this...

11. galoshes

galoshes Member

Shrimp patterns are highly addictive to tie I find. Great to hear of some success with them bassonfly. I'm better at tying them than I am catching bass on em. I would have thought yours swims upside down too but who cares if it catches. My fave easy tie is the Organza Shrimp a la Ord Clark (http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/articles/view/gift-wrapped_shrimp/) while my best fiddly tie (and there's lots of fiddly shrimp\prawn ties ) is the Perfect Leo which has as much to do with the name of my son as the realism of the pattern ;-0 (http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-tie-better/kerns-perfect-leo-shrimp).

Keep it coming- this may be cabin fever but it's a good version of it ;-)

12. BassonFly

BassonFly Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

I know, Prawn and Crab flies will be my downfall, tied loads in the holy grail quest to achieve perfection. Sad thing is Ive caught next to nothing on them inspite of the ground I fish having platoons of the natural, Wack on a clouser and it's fish on, never understood why the crustaceans don't work.

Truth is, I really like the challenge of tying them, can do the realistic but if anything it's the impressionistic that have given me meagre success.

SWF

• Like Like x 1
  14. BassonFly

BassonFly Member

I'm using craft fur clousers at the minute. The fur gives the pattern a great fishy silhouette and dead cheap for materials.
    I fish them at dawn/dusk then switch to a shrimp pattern after first light(when water clarity permits).
    I think that in clear water conditions, it gives you confidence to scale down on pattern size and use a fly more natural to surroundings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor