World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Sutherland Holiday June 24th

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  AWHM 
#1 ·
Hi All , SWMBO and I have booked a weeks holiday at Skerray, Sutherland , from 24/6.
I have fished in Orkney , Skye and Oban, but this is a new area for me. I wonder if anybody on here has any basic information as to sea angling in the area. I will be primarily either beach or rock fishing, but really dont have much idea what the area is like, apart from Google earth. I have done quite a bit of internet searching with very little reward, not suprising really as it is a bit out of the way .
Any information at all re baits, lures, species, and any areas, where I can actually reach the sea without a 200 ft climb down and back would be most welcome.
I will have a full complement of gear with me, for beach, rock, spinning, and boat fishing as we are spending the next week on Orkney. I also will have some fly gear with me for Orkney, Big Fish Murtha has already given me some basic ideas, re the Orkney fly fishing.
Any help would be most welcome. I am not after specifics, as I know anglers sometimes dont want to share their prime spots, but general information would be most helpful, plus where not to bother as well as where to go would be good too, as well as bait availability etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Should get decent flounders and some turbot off the sandy beaches as well as some cracking sea trout, which you will need permits for.
Deep water rock marks, chance of pollack, codling maybe conger, spurdog etc.
Rumors of bass up that way but I've never had any.
Tackle and bait very hard to source so come well prepared or hope that you can feather some mackerel and bring a fork for digging lugworm.
Midges can be a pain on occasion so repellent and head nets a must.
Cracking part of the world mate, hope the weather is kind to you, have fun.
Cheers, Leo.

#3 ·
Sounds good to me Leo !

Do you need permits to fish for sea trout in the estuaries , or is that classed as the open sea, maybe spinning for them would be a good method, I have read that elsewhere on the West coast it is legal to catch sea trout in the open sea, at estuary mouths ?

Dave

#5 ·
Sounds good to me Leo !

Do you need permits to fish for sea trout in the estuaries , or is that classed as the open sea, maybe spinning for them would be a good method, I have read that elsewhere on the West coast it is legal to catch sea trout in the open sea, at estuary mouths ?

Dave

Assume yes for a permit, usually sold in local post office or general store for that village or "beat."

You will catch Sea Trout inadvertently when fishing for flatties with mackerel strip in the surf but if you want to retain any then permit definitely compulsory.

Spinning will work but my biggest ones have come to bait, five pound plus fish, amazing fighters even on a beach rod.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info all, TBH I am not really interested in specifically targetting Sea Trout, it was more of a general enquiry.
I do a bit of fly fishing here in Yorkshire, on a couple of reservoirs, all the gear and no idea ! But I never ever take any at all, even if I catch one big enough.
I just really didnt want to fall foul of any irate bailiffs !

Dave

#8 ·
Thanks for the info all, TBH I am not really interested in specifically targetting Sea Trout, it was more of a general enquiry.
I do a bit of fly fishing here in Yorkshire, on a couple of reservoirs, all the gear and no idea ! But I never ever take any at all, even if I catch one big enough.
I just really didnt want to fall foul of any irate bailiffs !

Dave
alright dave.........cant really help with skerray but I have been to sandwood bay which is west of skerray near cape wrath.....
it is one of the most beauiful places I have ever been.....its a 4 mile walk across the moor and round the hills to reach it but what a place.....
more flounders and sea trout than you can shake a stick at.....and there is the chance of a bass as well......and you can fish the limestone loch
before you reach the beach for trout........:thumbsup:
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kinlochbervie/sandwoodbay/

#7 ·
Not fished it myself but Strathy point always gets a good write up. Naver estuary and Kyle of Tongue good for Sea trout / schoolie Bass. Heard of Skate being caught in Loch Eriboll from the shore but don't know the mark. Cracking spot, lived just round the corner from where you're staying for a few years, enjoy!

#9 ·
Unless you're fishing the estuaries or Kyles, you'll never see any bailifs or gameys - and besides you could be fishing for Pollock or Bass - both of which are found up there... The law is that even if fishing in the sea 'proper', you're not allowed to keep sea trout unless you have a permit to do so - but you'll not be able to get such a permit easily from any where if you are fishing anywhere other than an estuary..So the general rule is if you catch them - you can just return them.
LOTS of flatfish to keep you busy up on those beaches though...

2nd thumbs up for a visit to Sandwood bay - fabulous place..but every fish I caught on the beach was a sea trout (mostly about 3/4lb) - even when trying for turbot & bass... Long walk but worth it... you might even see a mermaid :D

#10 ·
Hi,

Coming to Loch Eriboll from the west, drive all the way round till you see a couple of small lochs near the entrance to Loch Eriboll.

Walk past the lochs to the rocky coast on the left - about 40 mins over the heather. You'll see a small lighthouse on the cliff. There are good marks for Pollack etc BEFORE you get to the lighthouse. In particular, I remember a long tongue of rock that didn't look like much, but has good deep water off the front of it.

Nothing massive, but caught a lot of fish - Pollack, coalies, mackerel and a codling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.