1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Switch rods and UK beaches

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by gusmcg, Aug 7, 2013.

1. gusmcg

gusmcg Guest

Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Hi Gus

Ive dabbled with the long rod for a bit and had the odd go with a switch

Didnt really appeal, know quite a few who have played similarly and they all return to the 9 footer as the mainstay

The DH is good when no backcast possible and the switch perhaps for a few extra yards

The standard rod is so much easier to use and play fish

Kieran

4. peachie 48

peachie 48 Member

I think Kieran is spot on with that advice.
    double handers and switch rods in the main are great for game fishing on rivers when roll and spey casting is required.
    For saltwater in the sea or from rocks and walls the single hander is by far a better option.
    Maybe different however on the rivers when its nice to use one and fish the flies round with the current rather than cast and retrieve all the time.
    I do prefer a longer single hander though say 10-10ft 6 with a fighting butt when casting bigger flies and lures.

5. gusmcg

gusmcg Guest

Work a 10ft with 5" fighting butt just now but am tempted to give a switch rod a go from the beaches up here. Two hand casting a lot less effort, and could use the extra yards for a couple of marks, just can't reach the channel I know is there. I was thrown in at the deep end as a kid and started out with two hand rods before one handers.

6. M.O.Lech

M.O.Lech Member

I know a couple of guys who have spent a lot of time on switch rods for the salt to the point that they have developed a rod based on a cts blank which works rather well.

7. spruce

spruce Member

I know this an old thread but I was just browsing and thought that I would add to it. Below is a post taken from the "Salmon Fishing Forum" in 2011. I am the guy, Spruce, who Springer built the rod for.
    QUOTE=Springer;365171]I thought you may like to see pictures of a Sage 1109-8 switch rod I built for Spruce.

Between us we came up with a slightly different theme on the thread wraps than a standard build. I also extended the butt section by 2" to accommodate the extra handle length he wanted while maintaining the position of the factory Sage decals.

Before I started I did a couple of test wraps on the butt section (where the cork would be) so he could get a feeling for the thread colours and what he prefered. I also sent down a few different handle shapes I made to give him choices on length, diameter, cork type etc.

[​IMG]

The extension spigot, fitted and glued into place before the handle was built.

[​IMG]

The finished rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spec for this build was a Sage TCX 8119-4 blank from the USA, Srubble green annodised reel seat, Fuji strippers, H&H hard chrome snakes. I used thinned down Rod Dancer epoxy to cover the size A thread, the colour was Goldenrod and trimmed with red and silver metallic. A stainless steel end plug was fitted to the lower grip as the rod was expected to be stood on salty rocks as it is primarily an overhead casting surf rod.

Including rod bag and cordura covered tube this rod still came in approx 25% less than a standard Sage rod bought in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't think you can beat a switch rod for fishing in the salt. Far less effort and with the right conditions, i.e. wind behind and over my right shoulder, some good distances can be obtained.

• Like Like x 3
  8. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

That's a real sweet build, nicely done

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Shame he didn't file the guide feet a little more and could have paid more attention applying the high build, would have got a much neater finish. Also the wraps on the first stripping guide seem to stop alittle short

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  10. spruce

spruce Member

You may be right, I don't honestly know much about rod building. I do know that things were kept to a minimum so as not to impact on the action of the rod. There hasn't been a problem with it in the salt regarding corrosion etc. I also know it is lovely to cast and fish with.

11. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

Looking closely I can see the faults, Bob's right but if you are happy, then thats all that matters.

I do like the concept and colors however.

I have experimented with a DH in the salt but couldnt get on with it, I have cast a switch rod but only in a field. I havent yet been tempted away from the single handers. How do you cast the switch properly in the salt, do you spey or is it a simple overhhead?

12. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

I'm surprised the builder didn't use single foot guides through out in that case

13. spruce

spruce Member

Dunno, there are arguments for and against. I take it you build rods yourself?

14. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Only for my own use or the odd repair/rebuild for friends,

• Like Like x 2
  15. spruce

spruce Member

Overhead in the salt but also use it for salmon in the freshwater. Then I use "anchor" casts.

16. GlynB

GlynB Member

Hi, have a look at this on youtube it maybe useful.
    HD - Shoreline Surf & Estuary Casting and Presentation
    Cheers
    Glyn

17. spruce

spruce Member

I have seen those before, Glyn. Thanks for the reminder.

18. GlynB

GlynB Member

Hello spruce, yes there are few on youtube but can take some fishing out if you excuse the pun, there are a few under the heading double handed casting in the maldives quite interesting stuff. I use full double handers myself for salmon but I haven't had a switch yet my brother has two I think ..he loves em. I am toying with getting the 4pce shakespeare switch 8/9 switch as I do like using both hands.

I converted a 3pce 15ft 10/11 into a 11ft 7" 2 pce last season for upper river fishing in high water and using big tubes as the big rod was a pain under trees, this also gave me more body against a large fish should it head back down to the sea and I could lift larger tubes with the big profile 10# lines and still be compact to use.

As much as I like my single handers using 2 hands is much easier and less wrist strain when using fast stiff rods.:)
    cheers
    Glyn

19. Jimhendrick

Jimhendrick Member

Lightweight options OH casting

Echo boost beach DH OH #8
    OPST lazarline 35lbs
    Vision Kust floating or slow motion SH 325g
    Airflo poly leader hover/intermediate 5'_0"

Distance engine!

20. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor