1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Target Species : COD 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by CCRML, Sep 29, 2016.

1. CCRML

CCRML Member

hello guys!

I have been trying to land a Cod/Codling for two years now! This will be my third year on the hunt!! I have learnt alot over the past two years and still got a lot to learn. I tend not to give up that easily.. But I think this year is the last bit of hope!! . I am pretty sure my set up and rigs are on point.. And I am just not going to the right place! I was focusing a lot on Brighton beach to find out my chances were pretty slim!

I live minutes from Gatwick airport.. So my ideal spot are southern area.. I have got a few places in mind; Selsey, Shorearm, Lancing, Hove, Seaford, Eastbourne and Pevensey bay. Can someone tell me if I have a chance with these locations??... And when roughly should I start heading out there properly? I don't want to miss the timescale..

I am even considering chesil beach (3hrs drive)

When it comes to my rigs i will be sticking with the basic pulley rig (pennel) and pulley dropper.. If i can live-bait as well.

Any feedback or advise from you guys would be very much appreciated.. Feel free to privately message me if you would like to share some good marks.. (Obviously i will keep it a secret too hahaha)

When it comes to tide.. Do i have to wait until there a massive tide to head out there? I don't really like to ask.. I am more of a get out there and get it done.. But two years seems long enough lol.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated!!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Iv heard good things about selsey but not sure what part of selsey. I'm pretty sure all of the marks u mentioned above are good marks for cod. A few coming out already. I'm no expert but if u post this in the south coast catch report section there's loads of more knowledgeable regulars there that would help and give you tons of valuable advice. Good luck with ur cod hunt this year mate I look forward to seeing how you get on

• Like Like x 2
  4. CCRML

CCRML Member

Thank you for the reply! I have post it in the recommended section and hopefully will get some answers.. i will definitely put my hunt progress on here and will keep you updated!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. codcupkid

codcupkid Member

I had a 7lb 8oz cod at pagham the last week in September , I would try there or aldwick or maybe even Bognor ,I was using squid as I was after undulat rays at the time .

6. Timbc2

Timbc2 Member

The Mersey is showing cod early this year. We've had 3 trips there and had codling last two.

A dissection of the 6 codling stomachs has revealed most have crab in them and shrimps. One had lug in it.

I'd head to a big river mouth where crabs are known to be a pain.

Take peeler crab, prawn (must taste like shrimp surely) and some lug going off what they're eating up here, although might be different down there.

Fish two rod or rigs with two hooks and see which bait works best on day.

It'd be interesting to hear what people are finding in the stomachs of cod down there and seeing if it's the same or different to up here.

Good luck with your fishing bud :)

7. Stupidluke

Stupidluke

If you live 5 minutes from Gatwick get on a plane to Norway. In less time than you can drive to Chesil you will have a better chance of landing a cod that us poor buggers stuck in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor