1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

The journey

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by louis cyper, Nov 17, 2016.

1. louis cyper

louis cyper

I sit here thinking about this years bass fishing for me and thought I'd share a few thoughts if you like .Before I do I'll start at the beginning of my own personal story one that will I'm sure be very simular to a lot of bass nuts on here.
    I first fell in love with bass over 40 years ago on a fishing trip with my father out of Poole in Dorset and since then I've tried to catch bass on most methods some with success some without .
    View attachment 637065

I had lot of years fishing from the shore using live baits or mackerel flappers but my favourite bait by far was fresh crab the action in early May/June when the crabs had pealed was superb.It was during these years I fished as much as I could often bumping into saltwater fly on the same marks and its from here our friendship grew.If fact we used to regularly share our local clubs biggest beach bass trophy when we could get one we felt was big enough to enter.If I Remmber rightly it's 6 years (me) to saltwater fly 5 years .

After a while you want to try different ways to catch bass and I started fishing in a boat more and more with saltwater fly moving onto lure fishing and then fly fishing for bass.
    I'd caught a lot of bass in my boat but never a double which I found a little frustrating considering I fished in a area famous for big bass ,for some reason my doubles have all been shore based.
    I started to look again at new methods to catch bass and as I new saltwater fly had been having successs having caught a 9.13lb and a few 7 lb I asked if he could show me the ropes.

Anyone who knows saltwater fly will tell you what a very generous man he is with imformation and time.I soaked up every bit of info I could and soon tried to build a picture of what was needed in my approach to marks .
    There's so much you need to think about with the fly ,what depth do I need to be fishing ,what will they be feeding on ,what time.There were so many different things to think about compared to bait fishing ,with bait you find an area that bass can be caught and kind of wait.Fly fishing and lure fishing takes a little bit more thought.
    Successful in my first year I wasn't with me catching one bass around 3 lb,as most of you will know you have to be very stubborn or stupid because successs at saltwater fly fishing can be hard to earn at times.
    My next few years followed a very simular pattern with only a few fish caught although by now I was getting into bust ups off shore in my boat which allways thew up a lot of fish but sadly nothing that big.
    I've been at this now for 10 years and I would say the first 5 were my learning years although I'm still learning I've a far better idea what to look for in marks.
    View attachment 637073
    My first fly caught bass

This brings me back to this year ,now as you've proberly guessed I can be quite driven as are most bass fisherman .My own challenge was to catch a decent bass on the fly from the beach this I was lucky enough to do this year as most of you will know.
    This did two things for me first it filled me with a great sence of pride knowing that I'd done what few had managed although with a lot of luck I might add,and two killed my mojo dead .
    It was very difficult to go back fishing the beach I just couldn't be bothered.

The year before I'd invested in a kayak and so had a couple of friends so this is how I'd spent the rest of my year.
    Anyone that's fished from a yak will tell you it's a great thing for getting to spots you wouldn't normally but it does mean learning new ways to present flies.
    Im the first to admit I've really struggled ,I've seen a lot of fish caught by friends doing what seems exactly the same as me .
    I've enjoyed every minute of it though even if I've been very jealous at times.
    This year I've had to learn to use lures from the yak which has not only been fun and very productive ,you know you've had a good session when your unhooking 6lbplus bass as quick as you can to get back for another drift.
    To be honest I never really thought there was much to fishing soft plastics but I'll admit it does take a bit of skill to get it right as often as my friends seem to.

Late in the year I ventured back to the beach mark I'd had the big girls from with conditions simular I had a few fish.Nothing as big as before but caught in an afternoon 2 x 2lb ,1 x 4lb a 6lb bass and a 2lb shad not bad I thought.
    What next year will bring I have know idea a good guess would be a mix of both yak fishing and shore fishing but whatever happens it will be fun .
    View attachment 637113
    Now I sat here and wrote all this because I was a bit annoyed at the way people are attacked on this forum ,now I'm no saint I'll admit but it does seem to come from the same person.Has anyone not noticed a lot of the threads seem to be posted in order to get a rise from someone in order to shoot them down.Please don't reply to this comment it's just my own thoughts and not worth another argument especially one I won't get involved in.

I've never really been that great a poster I don't do catch reports and only post on things I know a little about.I can't see the point posting a comment when someone answered the question perfectly well.That said I enjoy a lot of the elements of this forum especially the guys that take the time to answer questions with straight forward answers.
    I won't bother posting on here again but will be still be watching so I'd like to wish you all the best and tight lines.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Excellent fella, it's been quite a journey for both of us, thoroughly enjoy our exploits together.

You should have spoken about flytying as well, though. One of the most innovative I know, always thinking and experimenting. Excellent caster to boot, even the pro's instructors can't cast as far.

You know, all our fluff chucking friends hold you in the highest regard

It's said that it's only progress if the student excels the teacher.

Well you certainly proved that.

Warmest regards

Kieran

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

In contrast to Steve, Ive had a rubbish year. Went to Bewl earlier on and blanked which set the trend for the season. Only two proper SWFF trips and a couple on the kayak, diagnosed with prostate cancer in June, treatment following and I couldnt do much fishing thereafter due to the effects of the meds etc.

I do try and mix my fishing up a bit, had the ressy trip (an annual excursion in our calendar), beach a couple times with my friends, had the yak out twice fishing and a few more with my wife (a keen yakker as well) but just for some water therapy. Always do one bait trip (I always do one annually, just to see whether my eye was still good) for the autumn stuff and thats about it. Nothing on the fly whatsoever and just whiting and dogs to bait (urggh dirty stuff). Regretting not getting out on the river for the chub and dace on the fly, love this style of fishing, the water authority certainly got value out of my licence fee this year.

Ive spent what time I was able, on pimping out my kayak. I was very nervous at first about buying one, couple years back. Numerous accessories fitted, culminating in a light engine being added which transforms the versatility of the unit, not cheap but as all the guys I go out with, have done this to theirs, I wasn't going to be left behind. Amazing bit of kit, you can paddle but you have the motor as a backup, or if you just fancy a rest. Great for trolling/drifting and keeping you fixed on a mark if you dont want to use an anchor. Considered a peddling yak rather than a motor at first but what we chose is just so much more efficient and quicker. It's the ultimate fishing tool, you can fish in very shallow water, following the tide movement on our shallow estuary marks and most importantly being able to get back in quick if the weather kicks up.

I look forward to a much better season next year, cancer gone and I just need to build up the fitness.

Cant but mention my fishing buddies Louis, JohnM and (?) you know who:rofl:, supported me when I was down, chided me to get out there and who were endless in their advice and encouragement. Fella's, loved the couple yak trips when we were all out there, watching the moon rise, fishing, the banter and the companionship. Thanks.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Oldnipper

Oldnipper Member

Well well. Nothing to do with SWFF or bass for that matter, but the heading on the news cutting caught my eye.

The 47lb 12oz monkfish was caught by my ex boss on a Wessex Transfusion Centre club trip out from Poole. I have only ever seen the one, that 47.12 fish. And my goodness it was a bit lively like a living bear trap snapping at our feet etc. Dave was busy helping a nipper, Clive Nightingale, who had a tangle and let the skipper wind the monkfish most of the way in only taking over in the last few turns of his feel before it was boated.

Memories of yesteryear

Mike

• Like Like x 4
  6. galoshes

galoshes Member

Hello Louis Cyper\Steve?,

Thank you for such a thoughtful and thought provoking post. I would be sad if you were to post no longer here so hope you have second thoughts that keep you posting, even if it's just summary stuff every now and again. The more swff stuff that appears here the better in my book. Your report of your two big mammas was brilliant to read and gave me just the kick up the a** inspiration I needed this season which has resulted in me doing OK on the fly which is not bad for my landlocked status.

Interesting to hear how your mojo was lessened by your big catches- I have experienced feelings of slight anti climax or emptiness interspersed with the buzz of a big catch and find it tough to identify this in one's rush of thoughts when dealing with a big fish and the aftermath (if that makes any sense at all).

Do feel free to show us some of your fly creations. I seem to have developed a bit of a fixation with water pushing Tabory style Snake Flies crossed with Bulkhead types of dressing at the mo; even though I haven't properly water tested them I have high hopes for them next year.

cheers,

Will

• Like Like x 3
  7. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

A very enjoyable read Mr Cyper, are you the same chap that set the fly world on fire with the now legendary double Bass haul?
    Also why is there such a high number on ex-members on this part of the forum? Over the last few days I've been reading old threads and it seems to me the most helpful knowledgeable members seem to have left, such a shame

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

Hey Bob, sorry mate didn't realise it was you, thought you were being impersonated.

Must get over to see you sometime, have you got a release date btw?

ATB

PS Those flies you sent over, all crap, you must focus on thread tension, I keep telling you but you don't listen. Them eyes just dont do anything for me, leave em out next time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Alas no release date in sight, I need to convince the doctors I'm sane first and the more I tie the more their convinced I'm insane.
    As for the eyes I'm sure once I work out where and how to use them they will catch on.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor