1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

The rod build album.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Nick Phillips, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Bob Gill

Bob Gill Member

Thanks Stan.
    I find that wood can add a decorative and durable alternative to the usual and customers seem to like it. :)
    Bit of stabilised 'gunstock' walnut on wind down fore grip:
    IMG_4826crp400.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Bob, I dont know if other WSF readers have seen your Cocobola foregrips etc on BFW Torix, Ipower etc.. as displayed on BFW.
    Very nice they are as well. I was considering either buying or making some for a Bass rod rebuild, but then thought better of it, mainly because my rods take a bashing over a season, and a niceley finished off Cocobolo fusion rod grip would look as though it had gravel rash sooner than later.

I think unless you are a pristine tackle tart Zippy user any top class "fusion " finish such as you give your Torrixes or I.Powers. wouldnt last very long on a regularly used Beach or Bass rod, in any case , unless the beach rod was a slim Continental, a Fusion finish such as yours could be a bit bulky, due to a blanks dia.
    Between yourself and Stan,and Philtherod plus a couple of others, there cannot be many builders who offer such diverse finishes and options to a rod build.

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  4. STAN M

STAN M Member

Bob, if you are into the wood finishes I`ve got a load of hardwood sections here. I used to make a lot of them into fly reel seats but to be honest, whilst I still have the equipment and lathes I don`t really have the time. It is heavy stuff, not certain from memory exactly which woods but can check and take pics. If they are any good to you then cover the carriage and you are welcome to them, they will simply lie here forever gathering dust and I could use the space better for other parts.

5. Bob Gill

Bob Gill Member

Thanks for your kind comments Dave. Just had to try it on the lure rod shown earlier. I used cocobolo for this but limited it to small amounts at the potential high wear points mostly due to weight considerations. The finished rod weighed in at 160g which is not that excessive considering the fittings used. Just wanted to use cork as well.
    Agree with you on the bashing aspect of sea rods in general. My beach casters have conventional bits.
    All the best,
    Bob

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bob Gill

Bob Gill Member

That's a very kind offer Stan and thank you.
    I started turning bits for rods from my off cuts from general woodturning and custom made guitars. Used to pay a fortune for exotically figured tone woods and hated chucking the left overs away.
    Still got quite a bit and got enough to 'see me out', especially as I'm trying to wind down and enjoy fishing a bit more.
    An example of 'built from the plank up' , a carved top (maple) fixed neck (birds-eye maple), ebony board git.

ssfr44k.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. STAN M

STAN M Member

Nice work Bob, fair enough if you hear of anybody need sections let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. STAN M

STAN M Member

Heading to Canaries Friday. Pacific Bay regulation 80lb "E" glass blanks, Everol ball bearing rollers and bent butts (butts already packed) P1140724.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bob Gill

Bob Gill Member

Stunning work Stan.

10. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

IMG_20160624_142418.jpg

First attempt at a build with help from sealine19. Free spirit xs I've carp rod blank stripped back re built with minima 3s and a simple whip. Enjoyed every minute can't wait to do another

• Like Like x 4
  11. STAN M

STAN M Member

That aint at all bad for a first attempt. Just remember it gets addictive:)

12. liphook

liphook Member

Stan those 4 matching rods are immaculate!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

Cheers mate got alot of help. Will be re building my beachcasters in the spring I think

14. Bronzhaii

Bronzhaii Member

Hi All,

An exercise in trying to get marbling to mimic the colour scheme on the new Winn wrap on grips - needs a little fine tuning, but that is the challenge with marbling.

The rod is a new 15', 3 piece prototype for our surf conditions, 6-7oz sinkers plus bait, built for fixed spool low down.

J4.jpg J2.jpg J1.jpg

It is a great feeling handle material, absolutely totally non-slip, even when soaking wet.

Cheers from sunny Africa

• Like Like x 3
  15. STAN M

STAN M Member

That looks a nice job Bz. Just had the pleasure of making my own hands various shades of blue this afternoon doing 6 rods with marbling. Used the Winn grip a few times, certainly an excellent grip. Only downside I`ve found to it (would not apply on a surf rod) is using it over tapered grips on big game rods rather than traditional leather. The leather has sticky back virtually full width whereas the Winn grip tape (not the pre-made grips) only has it in a smaller area down the middle. Makes it a pain to get a good finish on the taper to accept a hosel. Other than that probably one of the best grips around.

16. Bronzhaii

Bronzhaii Member

That's the problem with the pigments for marbling, so powerful, they stain anything and everything they come in contact with. Highly concentrated, so even when you clean a spill, it just spreads further over your work bench. The upside is that it is an amazingly versatile decoration - limited only by your imagination.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STAN M

STAN M Member

Took around 2 days to get the blue of the hands (and a lot of thinners). Heading to Fuerteventura next week with 4 others when the alloy butts arrive weekend. Other 4 still being built (more blue mess).

Cono-flex "S" glass stand up blanks, Alutecnos guides.
    P1140800.JPG P1140801.JPG P1140802.JPG P1140803.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. SUPERCAST-PK

SUPERCAST-PK Member

How many guides are on that rod man? Could you give me the sizes as im getting a conti rod built thanks

19. Bronzhaii

Bronzhaii Member

Hi,

The rod was built for 30-50lb braid, and possibly leaders up to 100lb or more. So, we opted for a pretty standard set. 20, 16 & 4x12 with a 12 tip - all low riders from Fuji. There are some cheap minics on the market now, with very cheap inserts and even cheaper stainless steel - the finest 'made in china'!!!

For a Conti, I might suggest because of the more flexible tip, you might best consider going down to 10 and 8 on the very tip, so the final 'train' would be: 20, 16, 2x 12, 10 & 8, with 10 tip. Especially if you are going to be using braid throughout.

Cheers from sunny Africa

20. STAN M

STAN M Member

Well at long last the alloy butts arrived, (only 3 weeks overdue) so rods all finished and packed ready to fly down to FV on Monday.

2 x 30lb stand ups with Alutecnos rollers, 2 x 50lb renovated chair rods for Albakora Cat with UK made Weyland rollers and 2 x 50lb chair rods with Everol rollers. And as can be plainly seen (and often pointed out by Aram in FV) my skills at photography continue to be superb. P1140826.JPG P1140828.JPG P1140830.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  21. back lash

back lash Member

what some fantastic work you lads have done .a proper talent. great work.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor