1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

The rod build album.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Nick Phillips, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

a couple of zziplex primo syncro xl's being don 14249304_1749395041969042_1730376787_n.jpg 14249304_1749395041969042_1730376787_n.jpg 14256225_1749394958635717_1701282035_n.jpg 14256225_1749394958635717_1701282035_n.jpg 14256245_1749850111923535_1071921557_n.jpg 14269714_1749395148635698_2010440462_n.jpg e for me by dave (sealine)​

• Like Like x 3
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. centurion

centurion Member

Very beautiful rods. Can I ask the make of the blue lined rings, and if for the tip top you maintained the same series?
    I am specially curious since I am rebuilding a Daiwa HPB with similar ring pattern, will put it on here once decal will be completed.

4. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

alps , titainum , from top to bottom

5. sealine19

sealine19 Member

hi all
    Mike is not quite right -- I had to use Fuji for the tip and bottom rings due to non availability . they are very similar tho' . Alps seem to concentrate on lure rod sizes.
    we thought matching the wrap and rings would be good - i'm not disappointed hopefully Mike will be pleased when he picks them up next week.
    I sourced the rings from Valley Custom Rods in Canada on the banks of the Fraser river - nice people who carry pretty much all the Alps range at reasonable prices . it would be good if others used them to encourage them to consider the UK market..
    nobody in the UK could give me any indication of a delivery date . they arrived from Canada 2 days after payment which I thought was pdq.

Decals from Hugh at mighty bright .....ta Hugh !

• Like Like x 3
  6. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

dave as iv all ready told you they are class i just love em , cant wait to give em a good outing but there again they look far to good to fish with

• Like Like x 1
  7. sealine19

sealine19 Member

ha --didn't know you'd done that Matt . good work mate. can I have a look when you're back in the UK?

8. centurion

centurion Member

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the reply,
    and the details of the guides provider.
    I sourced rings like these in Italy from an ebay sale of remains, so not al sizes available (max size 25) and no matching tip rings (actually I could not source Alps tip tops with tube bores over 3 mm in blue, so none of my beachcasters will ever have one). Therefore I managed to put a Fuji as tip, with alconite liner. It is nearly impossible to detect the difference in normal usage or passing by the rod, but only by close inspection.
    Again a great work, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  9. sealine19

sealine19 Member

yep - same probs I had --and the same solutions. US and Canada have access to much more extensive range of kit than we do . dunno why one of our suppliers don't grasp the nettle and hold a comprehensive Alps range - it,s good stuff and people like it . some of their reel seats are stunning

thanks for the comps !
    dave

10. STAN M

STAN M Member

Already happening, Chris in UK is starting to stock ALPS and will get you any of them to order http://www.customrodsupplies.com/

11. Droflet86

Droflet86 Guest

Look at what? You have seen it. You helped build it lol

12. sealine19

sealine19 Member

ooooh ! dementia setting in .. beggared if I can remember !

• Like Like x 1
  13. sealine19

sealine19 Member

cheers Stan - didn't know that . ---noted and bookmarked !

14. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

received_1751190875122792.jpeg the twins .. just had the rods back of dave . All i can say is they perfect just what i whanted . The rings match the wipping spot on nice gold trim no thick varnish just perfect i dont no if im imagining things but the tips feel much lighter with the alps .. big thank you dave ... see you soon with a couple more zippys

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  15. centurion

centurion Member

Hi all
    Summer gave me the spare time needed to complete one of my projects:
    Daiwa HPB 12MF, bought as well used blank, with stripped off rings, was a challenging work.
    I used Fishhawk black size A as main thread, a bit brittle actually, but functional to the scope.
    Guides were placed on false underwhips (feets on carbon) made with Gudebrod Old Gold (9004 metallic HT) and a central trim band of Gudebrod Royal Blue (9245 metallic HT).
    Decorations at the base of the butt and both sides of the joint were done using a Gudebrod Braid (001/340 black and gold) 1/16th of inch, which allowed a nice pattern.
    Guides are lined with blue inner, which recalls the royal blue thread. Tip top is Fuji, due to the problems in sourcing an adequate bore size of the blue rings. Few turns of Mighty Bright "Turquoise" (thanks Hugh) were put on the tip for night visibility.

Guides fitted were 25-20-16-16-12-12-12-tip 10.

The spacings I used are as follows (distance in cm from tip ring to guide center): 10.5-21-36.5-55.5-80.5-116-159.

Only thing lacking (yet) is the decal that I am reverse-engineering from existing images given by some pals.
    Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  16. sealine19

sealine19 Member

lol !
    Cheers Mike ...worth the trouble to see the look on your face .

the rings are polished titanium so there will be a weight saving which will be noticeable on a 14' rod . mind you - getting my hands on them was a bit of a mission .

looking forward to the next project for you

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  17. gert

gert Member

Hi all,

... been a bit busy with rod building lately, after purchasing 2 Conoflex rods from Paul (Marlever). Both had to be re-built, not that they were in bad condition, but i like to fish with self built rods.

First was a Conoflex invictus, which is similar and is gonna be paired with the source i already have ( and like very much : it did a great job on the giltheads this summer!) :

Fuji movable reel seat and black cross shrinktube :
    [​IMG]

whipping was gudebrod D nylon colour nr. 720 , trim bands in pacbay candy apple and masterwrap white, guides are ALPS :
    [​IMG]

Detail of the spigot reinforcements with extra metallic silver decoration:
    [​IMG]

the last 5 rings are single legs, which i like very much for such a nice, sensitive tipped rod :
    [​IMG]

The biggest change was the decal : i really couldn't get used to the big, ugly, gold&red copper original sticker, so it had to go for a different design ... some may say the rod is'nt genuine anymore, but i don't care : i'm not a purist and i like it much, much more that way :
    [​IMG]

... hope you liked it guys, more is on it's way! ;)

Gert

• Like Like x 5
  18. Patudo

Patudo Member

That's a nice pattern indeed! At first look I thought you had executed an amazingly intricate half diamond half chevron wrap!

• Like Like x 1
  19. gert

gert Member

Hi all,

... following the invictus, i also rebuilded a Conoflex red dragon, also purchased from Marlever. I only knew this model from the web, never saw one live, so it was a bit of a gamble. It turned out to be a very pleasant surprise : nice slim all carbon blank, crisp action with quite some nice power for the ideal casting weight of 5oz/6oz .... This will make a good winter rod :)

For this one i got inspired by the nice decals with union jack (what a difference with the invictus!) so i decided to use the same colours and pattern :

guides are (again) ALPS 3 legs, thread is Gudebrod D in dark blue nr. 246, trim bads in red and white masterwrap ncp :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

detail of the butt guide with (false) underwrap :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ALPS guides :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and again, a Fuji movable reel seat :
    [​IMG]

so folks, that's enough rod building for a while, hope you liked it ... time for me to go fishing now! ;)

Gert

• Like Like x 4
  20. dangerous26dave

dangerous26dave Member

IMAG1807.jpg IMAG1810.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  21. dangerous26dave

dangerous26dave Member

My first effort at a zziplex total refurbishment

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor