1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Things are on the up....slowwwly

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by W.olly, Jun 29, 2015.

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi folks, not to go into detail as it will to long a thread with lots of moaning etc etc from me. BUT

I am back with high spirits and back to my normal daft jolly self. A few month ago i manged to get back to normal and work and had to start from square one with my hobbies etc so i thought i would get us a another boat, well sort of a boat, more like a garden ornament, but i like a challenge :)
    We got this at first for chilled out weekends on the canals, but then as it a small boat i though hell why not get a trailer and tow it about to a few lakes....then i though the next step and sea, namely Conway. season here and season there, summer on the sea and winter on lakes or canals etc.

Well on with the boat, i found it not far from home on ebay, not loaded with cash i went to see it, had a quick look over it and had it there and then. As you will see it needs a bit of work and i have started it, follow the thread and see where we get.

I hoe some folk are interested as this will help with motivation when times get bad, like they tend to do with these wee projects.

on way home from the miserable home in a field for 10 years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slight bow damage,

[​IMG]

And the interior, if you can call it that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear deck is well shot aswell, infact after a rip out ond look around not much left at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to save this though, its well cute :)))

[​IMG]

Si there it is/was, lots to do as you can see, but i love a challenge as said. :))))

i know its not a full on sea boat, i only want it for weekends away moored up and when the sea is good a trip out for a bit of fishing, i did have the idea of making a couple of keels to make a bilge keel et up but i have been told it wont be needed and could make it worse in rougher seas with more keels.

Bit have been done and i will add more as i go.

hope this keep ypu entertained, it does me and T.

wolly :)))

• Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. puckoon

puckoon Member

Bloody hell, you do like a challenge, reminds me of the Shetland 570 I bought. good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kingfisher 165

kingfisher 165 Member

WOW you're not kidding about liking a challenge, all the very best of luck with it I'm sure a few of us will be watching with great interest...

5. Kevin56

Kevin56 Member

Might have been quicker to start from scratch and just build a boat!

Good luck though. Perhaps it's best if you don't keep track of either your time or the cash you spend.......

All the best!

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  6. fishrich

fishrich Member

7. W.olly

W.olly Member

Its not as bad as it look........it worse i guess lol. Mite sound daft but this is probably the only way i have ever got my boats, saving doesnt work as something always pops up that needs the money i have saved, so once i get money i spend it on the boat :) but i can spend weekly/monthly on it, i have always got basket cases and i have brought them back to use, takes some bloody graft but hey why not.
    Admit though this is the worse boat i have had. I hope to get it done for May 2016.

Well some work thats been done, ripped out then i wanted to fettle the Bow damage.

[​IMG]

Evene the transom came out, a owner from some past time fitted a lower transom and the timber was rotten, as was the rest of the wood, no a bit of wood left on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inner keel was definatley a goner

[​IMG]

Bow, now as i am used to also fixing cars with a small rust spots, that grow, and grow, and grow this is much the same, although first time a a big repair like this on a
    boat,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i used 450grm CSM, a cardboard box and insulation tape, along with some spray can caps to hold the card closer to the hull whilst i layed up inside. Not to forget to grind well back the edge to a taper and clean with acetone.
    I used plenty of CSM as i wanted it strong, so this will be about 8mm think i think form my workings out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bit of Vitamins to help the strength

[​IMG]

Next update later on, spose i better go to work to earn money to build the boat :( :)))

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clinker

Clinker Member

Did you do the same with that car that's parked alongside? - A Dutton? - I know this is a boat forum, but one or two photos wouldn't harm!

Nice idea to have a 'second home' which you can take fishing now and again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  9. W.olly

W.olly Member

No harm some car pic`s, i didnt build the Dutton Sierra, done a bit of work on it on the mechanical side but non body or trim. Selling some time to fund the boat a si need a trailer and outboard for it, aswell as something to tow it with so all funds needed, jacked in with cars now. sticking with boats, sick of loosing knuckle skin and lumps on the head, not to mention welding.
    Few pics of it for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the boat, i got some decent windows of ebay, 410 mile round trip to collect them but well worth it, complete different from the originals, well the last type as this boat has been altered so much in the 40 years of its life, poor thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only problem i could see was the new frames were flat but the cabin is curved, and i didnt want perspex all around the boat, and these are opening windows, even better.
    [​IMG]

roughly were i wanted them just to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As said these are very different from the last set of windows but they will fit with a fettle and fill here and there.

i used some persepx sheet to create the fillets i needed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used 3 laminations of 450grm CSM, this give about 5mm finished thickness.

[​IMG]

Let set overnight and peeled of the perspex, with the help of the PVA Blue i used before the layup. and trimmed back and hey presto, new windows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And above all the the new frames with glass still in curved to shape nice :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the last few days i have been preping the apertures, bit if filler here and there and sanding back the edges to a good state so i can prime to get the windows fully fitted, reason being i want it water proof so i fit new bearers and floor, we are going to rebuild the frames with all new seals and solish the frames up once dismantled this week. got us a 4 inch buffer set to do this, make life easier, not much elbow grease left in us and BnQ dont sell it lol.

The sanding has been a real pain in the arse, 5 layers on the top deck and 4 on the hull, atleast, some 6 layers. the tread ares i will be getting some paint stripper thats kind to GRP, i have found some and its not to costly, but is to do the full boat. about £150

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salar

Salar Member

Lots of work! Just a point on the hole repair, you ideally need an edge chamfer of 12 x thickness to maintain strength. Once the structural stuff is done the rest will come together really quickly. It will make a nice little man-shed! Plenty of room in there for a brew and a seat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maywood

Maywood Guest

The Mrs looks pleased.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. chris1127

chris1127 Member

Like Maywood says, I recognise that look :D
    Good luck with the project, I'm about 12 months overdue getting mine on the water but it's nearly there now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. W.olly

W.olly Member

It was tapered back to about 50mm with the hull thickness around 6mm, so nowhere near the 12x. Thats does sound a lot, but it will have to do now, it will be braced behind also for the eye beam and laminated in place with 6mm of GRP.
    Man shed i wish lol, i got it for me and T to get away and chill out for a change, fishing and just cruising, it will have to be nice for T to approve :)

Oh she is, even with a bit or perspex stuck on the side lol, easy pleased.....MMmmmm some times, she just wants it done.

I have put another 11 months for this to be done, shouldnt put time scales on these things but its our 10 year anniversary next May so we want to launch it then for a 2 week cruise. Pushing it but we will see. Funds are the bardest part at the minute.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chris1127

chris1127 Member

tell me about it, 50 quid on mat, resin and topcoat just for a small bit of cabin floor and 70 quid on batteries last week, just spent 50 quid on a couple of cables, some terminal connectors, a couple of fuse holders etc, still gotta get battery boxes and another two isolator switches, all adds up!
    I got mine last Feb meaning to be on the water by May, missed that one spectacularly but also spectacularly underestimated how much I had to do, and how little spare time I had!

15. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi all, sorry not much of an update, i have been waiting for seals to arrive for the frames and trying to decide where to go with the next step, i was going to get all windows fitted, disaster was found with the front two, tell later the new way for them, then sort the bulkhead,

Anyway, we have been cleaning up the frames, they are in good fettle but for the seals, we got all fut new set, sliders, stops, etc etc, should be like new when finished. They had a coat of lacquer on which need to be sanded off first, hardest part, takes longer to clean that back than to polish the frames back up. I got a small buffer kit to help makes things easier, my hands and elbows are not what they used to be so this was great for buffing up.

Pics dont show how good they are, infact better than i wanted as you can see your face in them They need a few coats of lacquer yet.

[​IMG]

Good bit, all the screws came out, i only removed the bottom frame edges to get the glass out and then seals.

[​IMG]

These P seals were a pain, i could find a container long enough and narrow enough to git them an Acetone bath, i made a bath from tin foil but it was cheap stuff and punctured to easy. In the end i just used a small syringe and poured aetone over the rubber to weaken it, after a minute it came out easy.

[​IMG]

For the sliders i found it both hard and expensive to get the original type so instead i got a flat felt and this pushed into the channel, works a treat aswell. I got it oversized so once inplace i can trim it down to fit in situ.

[​IMG]

The other seals, the P seal as well as the square U profile for the fixed window, i still need another seal for the middle edge as it is very narrow, only 6mm wide with 4mm glass to fit, i am going to look for a felt from maybe Hobby Craft to se what they have, be best to get some rubber but i am finidng difficult to get some 1-1.25mm thick.

You will se ein this pic that the lower felt/slider is in section, this is for the drain gaps in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And together but not fixed, a few of the frame brackets broke so i will be makjng some new ones, and lucky a sis i have a tap to thread the 3mm ally i have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have the other two larger frames to do, hope to get them done tomorrow, bit tired at the minute and its carboot day tomorrow, so we will see.

Oh and today i got some wood 25mmx47mm ,for the inner frame that will be bolted with the stainless bolts through to the frames. These will be used with T nuts to get a flush fit on the inside then wood frame will be capped off with a nice hardwood to cover the T nuts.

Another thing i had a go at was the hatch, being like i am i just try to make things or make do, i would love a Houdini but nah, not at the prices they got go even second hand around £90, there for i made this, i could of used a caravan type but all to small as this hatch is 520mm square.

For this i used some 75mm insulation board, same a si will be for the bearers and inner keel i think.

Cut to shape then sanded to shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is coated with a layer of resin,

[​IMG]

Now i have no pics of the rest of this as it went wrong in a way, i was talking to the chap i get my GRP supplies from and he said i was not adding enough catalyst, should be min 1% so 10cc per litre, which i was as always, now it was going off fine as always, but on my little measuring jug it was showing 5cc, now i questiond myself here. What i found was that when i added 10cc as it should be while doing this top it gelled within 5 mins after mixing. I wasnt happy as it made a right old mess of the hatch. Well when i looked closer at the measuring jug for the catalyst i was correct in what i was adding but the jug had a small sticker for the guide marks, this had moved/come unstuck so i could of added around 15+ cc of catalyst. I poured 2 coats of topcoat on and i will sand back to et a better finish and i will update that as and when i get around to it, it does fit ok just needs smoothing off.

ill be back [​IMG])

• Like Like x 1
  16. deepseadavy

deepseadavy Member

Wait till he starts traipsing shards of glass through the house!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. BruceK

BruceK Member

After reading the first post and seeing the pics I will confess to thinking "The daft bugger, this is gonna hurt" but seeing the quick progress as I read on I recanted that to just "This is going to hurt". You sure like a challenge, and my very best wishes that it all goes well. Keep posting the progress :) When you are on Conwy be sure to pop over and give us a shout. 3rd pontoon out, PC cruiser called Amanzi. We made the local rag. The Japanese love us apparently http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-...s-most-beautiful-places-the-japanese-think-so

18. W.olly

W.olly Member

Or look it it my way Bruce, i end up with a boat i know and trust and its like building a boat from scratch just that i have the shell to start with;) I like a challenge and DIY, in all the cars and boats i have had i have never got one that is ready to go, always needs a repair in way or another. saved many a car form a 20 year off road and boat well as you can see from this one, i just cant help it lol.

Will be down in a month or so as stopping in a B&B in Llandudno for a long weekend and going to pop over the Conway for a visit, love the place and going to see what its like for moorings etc.

19. BruceK

BruceK Member

I restore old bikes myself so I can empathise, they always hurt though. Never managed to sell one on at even 2/3rds of what I put into it. If I kept them then maybe it would help, but everytime I come home with a new project the Admiral just rolls her eyes and waits for my lies and justifications. Cant help myself either.... but the struggle and hurt is overcome by the many small victories that go into a finished resto so long as you have the will, time and cash to keep it up.

20. W.olly

W.olly Member

This weekends work n the boat didnt exactly go plan, but getting there. Plan was to get the side windows fitted but we had trouble working out why the glass would not sit properly in the frame of the larger window. In th end we found it was the glass that had been made for it, either from when the frames were actually made of a mess up from replacments. Anyway to keep the high spirits we decided to fit the smaller galley window first complete with inner frame and all sealed up. These are easier to fit for some reason.

For the inner frames i have used soft wood as they will be capped off with Sapele to cover the T nuts and give a nice finish with Danish oil.

[​IMG]

Inner frames were used to help give a better seal and strengthen all up more, better than bolting to just the cabin sides.

[​IMG]

On the inner side i used T nuts, saves on sinking in nuts etc and works well, i have used them on a lot of things and think they are great for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bottom rail ready to be fitted.

[​IMG]

Inside,

[​IMG]

Now once all the frames were done i had to get the seals ready, this was to bo neoprene strip fitted with water proof 2k contact adhesive on the frame, then silicone from there to the cabin aperture to fill any imperfections, the silicone i used is a type that will come apart easy if ever the frames need to be removed. lets hope not.

[​IMG]

All set in place and sealed and drying, i was wondering this mornig if we could get ant done with the weather but it turned out a great day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So another trhee to go, one still has to be cleaned and resealed but hope all will be done this week, weather and sanity permitting.Have to say i ma chuffed with the out come, they have taken some doing as a few on the frame brackets broke as they are ally as the frames and a slight bend when pulling the frames apart they snap so i have to make new ones.Not a big job but one more we don t want.

Still not come by any front windows so once these side one are fitted i will gaffer up the front to get water tight so the bulkhead can be done along with floor.

Feels good to have one window fitted [​IMG])))

21. BruceK

BruceK Member

many small victories :)

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor