1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Things are on the up....slowwwly

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by W.olly, Jun 29, 2015.

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

Yes that is the shaded side, i never like to buy paint as it never comes out as it should lol. The colour chart i looked at was good, darker than this but then it is on a PC screen.

I will do a sample soon and see;), not being painted now untill next year anyway.

Oh and i forgot the last pic

[​IMG]

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BruceK

BruceK Member

That's has come along nicely! Well done

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. W.olly

W.olly Member

I just had to do a sample of the hull paint to see how it will look, i thought it was a bit to blue in the tin if you know what i mean, i like it but maybe a bit to bright, i was hoping for a darker shade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only update is without pics but then they will look no different from the previous as all i have done is fix the lining in place and insulated behind them. Got a lot more to do so todays task after xmas shopping [​IMG] is to get more cut out and if warm enough fix them down.

Disaster........

We have had that much rin over the last few days i found a leak in a window frame, all i can say is i had what i call ` a moment` i sat down took a deep breath and head in hands for a few minutes. I was not a happy chappy, i can tell you.
    After that i made a brew and came back and looked at the problem, all it was is that the drain channels in the frame had block up with dust and much and the water had built up over the lip, it was just a small drip but even a drip is to much no matter how often it drips.

Disaster no more [​IMG]

But for the Houdini is leaking again, i tried the Creep Crack when i fitted it, i will be removing it and having a go at stripping it and resealing it, i have read ll stories on these, i am sure if it can be it will be done.

Oh and good mate Gazza [​IMG] sent me this, it needs a spring or something, i will ask him again but i think it suits nice.
    Need to make a bracket to mount it as there is nowhere for it to sit but below the grab rail.

[​IMG]

5. W.olly

W.olly Member

It has been a while since much has been with one thing and another but today i had to get the front cleats fitted, reason is so then i can get the bow insulated and lined out.

As in previous posts i have made the cleat spreader plates from 18mm ply and 3mm SS plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to set this in the middle of the pulpit rail legs and close to the edge, infatc the speadrs i made needed to be cut back by 15mm down one edge so they would fit, no big deal there though.

[​IMG]

Drilled out with a 3mm bit first then to 10mm for the M10 bolt, trial fitted then out to 12mm hole, this is so the Sikaflex 291i will fill the bolt better. The a counter sink for s a bigger surface area and better adhesion of the Sikaflex again.

Yes the holes look out from the markings, but when counter sinking the bit needs to be spot on central and well i am not perfic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the inside i gave a good sand back to remove all loose paint and cleaned back as with the rest of the fittings, acetone was used as always.

[​IMG]

Plenty of Sikalfex was used, around the holes and on the cleat edges to make sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty aded to the blocks

[​IMG]

steady crank it up until it oozes out the edges of the plates, then excess can be used to seal more the ply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grab the nearest thing to scrap the excess from the cleat itself, and wipe away excess with help of acetone again. and jobs a good un [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow i hope to get a bit more lining out done, if its to cold to use the foam then i will see about the frame work for the galley or head. Oh ye, i will refit the door for the cabin first and see if the gas strut i have will do the job, cant remember the Nm/kg they are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

7. W.olly

W.olly Member

Thats the shade i am going for, the Blue i got looked liek that in the colour chart, maybe a tads brighter but not as much as it came out. I will get another tin when time coes, this i will save for another boat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. W.olly

W.olly Member

Happy New Year all[​IMG]I hope you all had a good start to the new year.

I am very much looking forward to 2017 so fingers crossed all goes to plan.

I have a small update to add.Over Christmas and New Year breaks I have got a few bits done. I was wanting to get the whole boat lined out I only managed to get a bit done as the weather has been so cold the expanding foam does not work as good as it cold.

Still, I managed to get the rear end of the cabin lined out a few week before Christmas so I could at least get of with doing the frame work and clad a little of the Head.

Oh darn, sat here typing this I remembered i needed to remove the Houdini at the seals have gone again and is dripping slightly so i will be having a go at resealing it.

Anyway

I have used 34mmx12mm timber for the frame work for the Heads and the cupboard for the water heater and storage. 25x4 screws and plenty of Gorilla glue, good stuff I swear by for all timber work.

In this picture all the frame work is just screwed together for now until I am happy with it. As always I do not work to plans, all in my head.

[​IMG]

The frame work nearest to you is going to be for a cupboard and hot water heater which will be in the top right. That will be a Morco F-11EL.

It is lined internally with 5.5mm ply and will be later clad with PVC Cladding.

[​IMG]

Inside the Head I have started to make the frame work to hold one of the tanks in place and an access panel to where the pipe work is from the tank to the pump. I have yet to decide where to fit the freshwater pump. It will be either on the back panel ( I do think the pump will be in the way, I need to measure it up yet and see where the pipe work will run ) or to the side in another access panel below the fuse box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time all was glued and screwed so I decided to leave it as is for now so as not to disturb it to much for the glue to set.

9. Salar

Salar Member

Lovely job. Just watch that you are not adding too much extra weight beyond what it was designed for as that will make it sit lower in the water, and if the weight is above the waterline it will be less stable.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Looking good, I've missed your updates on this so pleased to see one :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  11. W.olly

W.olly Member

This weekend i have done a bit of plumbing and lined out the Heads but for the water tank side. The floor will be laminated over for the wet room and drained by a pump under the read deck. This pump will also drain the water system as when needed in winter etc

The water pump is now under the cabin step where the batteries were intended to go. Now the two batteries will be going the other side of the lower bulkhead under the deck.

Here you can see the top horizontal pipe is the balance pipe joining the two tanks. This is to help filling the tanks from one deck filler.

[​IMG]

The cabin step covers it just nicely.

[​IMG]

Here is the feed to the heads sink and Morco boiler which I will be T`ing off to. The elbow fitting on the right will be replaced with a T fitting later. so i can go through the heads wall and up to the boiler.

All open ends in the pipe work have been blocked off with tissue for now so no dust or dirt gets in the system.

[​IMG]

Spot the difference.

I forgot to add the drain for the water system. Easy done as I have yet to finish it all off yet. All joints will be tightened and tested before anything else goes ahead. Well but for the pie work to the galley sink.

[​IMG]

I hope to get on with a little more lining out done so I can get the galley framed out this week. Once that is done i can move back over the cupboard and then the berths.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  12. Skids

Skids Member

Love to see your photos but evidently I don't belong there????

13. back lash

back lash Member

it tells me i dont belong there as well

14. W.olly

W.olly Member

I think I used the wrong pic host if that is what you meant. I have editied them now so should show.

15. Skids

Skids Member

Perfect ,faaar to interesting to mis the pictures.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  16. W.olly

W.olly Member

Last job was to first off to do a bit more lining out so I can get on with Galley. Again as before with the heads I pumped in expanding foam once the ply was fastend in place.

This time i used modesty blocks to help keep the ply from bowing under the pressure of the foam when it expands. Spaced about about 6inch apart when used with 5.5mm ply.

You can see here that I left the outer edge sticking out as later I will trim it back flush. Easier than faffing to get it all good now.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/9pbyap1s7/tn_20170114_135445.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://s5.postimg.org/io6m1gw1z/tn_20170114_135514.jpg

[​IMG]

To keep the outer edge held up in place I jammed the panel up with a few off cuts of timber.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/bm8of9sg7/tn_20170114_135712.jpg

[​IMG]

Once all panels are set in place just a mater of pumping the expanding foam the drilled holes.

To make sure there was plenty under the gunnel I removed the timber strut and applied the foam then jammed the strut back under.

This was after 5 mins and I wish I took a pic after 20 mins. Temps were low around 7deg ambient and i was unsure so I used a full tin, I can say I didnt need it, half would of done. In low temps the foam expands less and slower. A slight miscalculation.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/6ddnhea13/tn_20170114_144044.jpg

[​IMG]

I left the foam to set over night then just trimmed back with a knife and sharpened wall paper scraper so then I could get on with the galley frame work.

Here the oven is in place so the starboard berth has a 5` 6 " length. I am going to look at it again this weekend as i am tempted to move the oven back by about 300mm to gain ore berth length, we will see.

The cupboard will be cut back to follow the flow of the galley now. That is the reason i didnt fix it in place last week.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/4bhrgw1fr/tn_20170115_183438.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://s5.postimg.org/n2jor1w07/tn_20170115_183431.jpg

[​IMG]

The reason for moving the oven back towards the stern is the head room stops half way over the oven so it is going to be a pain to cook etc.

The middle of the over will be in the middle of the upright between the windows where there is ( will be ) a down light.

I am trying to decide on what matrials to use for the galley storage and work top. At first it was Sapele unit and work top but as I am using a veneered Sapele ply to clad the Heads and cupboard I think it will be to much so we then went with a Sapele work top with a off cream colour ( Coffee maybe ) type for the galley unit and above the worktop.

One other job I did the other day was remove the Houdini Hatch as it started to leak again. I have taken it apart ready to be cleaned up and resealed. I just need to order the new seals now, I forgot to do it the other day with all faffing about with this and that.

I will give a wright up when i do this of how i did it as most folk say it is not possible. We will see how i go, if I manage it i will show.

I used some DPM and taped it in place to keep it all dry.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/9vpndsax3/tn_20170114_144034.jpg

[​IMG]

Another job a did a week or so ago. I do forget what i have done with all these bits and bobs to do.

Not a big job but i had a go with a gas strut on the cabin door top section. This a 120n strut and it works ok`ish just not enough for me so i will be getting a 150n and in 316 stainless steel. This one is a cheap one of my fish tank lid that I had spare. now more than a few quid. A SS one is around £40. I must be mad lol.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/mjwihdh6v/TRANSOM_20170108_120442.jpg

[​IMG]

After work today i near finished the rear deck locker hatch trim. I need to drill and fit them now. This weekends job along with the galley to be looked at more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. W.olly

W.olly Member

Today`s jobs was to finish the locker frames first. I have been meaning to do this for months now. And still not finished as now instead of using 18mm marine ply I am going to make a sheet of 6mm GRP and use that, good job there is on rush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now then the galley,

As I said in the last update I wanted to move the oven back a little, well by about 12 inch. Make s alot of difference as now the seating is a lot better and the berth near 6`6" long.

Time to re`sett the battens. Just a matter to move the end battens back, this gives more of a curve to the worktop now , not a bad thing hey Richard [​IMG]

First the top batten

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used some long battens to check the curve of all the horizontals were the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a case of moving the oven base over.

[​IMG]

The base needed a trim back a little but I cut a bit more for more ventilation for the oven.

[​IMG]

Underneath will be storage.

[​IMG]

Once the oven was in situ i used some 6mm ply to make a template for whn i decide on the work top, It is still planned to use Sapele.

18. W.olly

W.olly Member

The sink was next to mark out for the fitting. Easy bit as just a matter to decide where ( not that there is much choice ) then drawing around the sink rim and 12mm less for the rim to sit on.

[​IMG]

Good work bench the new rear deck. I need to stop cutting into it though duh

[​IMG]

Drill first for the Jigsaw blade to fit.

[​IMG]

Steady as you go, better to cut less of if you are not to good with a Jigsaw. Can always trim more off but not add more on [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there we go, sink in situ now [​IMG] feeling better about this more and more now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished early as my knee and hands were killing me, i managed to get the galley storage lined out.

The unit is lined with 4mm ply and the rear panel is removable in case I need to the water tank access hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the left side of the oven I am going to add a folding worktop in case more work space is needed. A lift up and slide down type.

The main cupboard is ok where it is as I was going to angle it back a little for a more wider walk through. I may well decide different by tomorrow so we will see.

The right hand side of the worktop up to the bulkhead will be for cutlery and plate storage. That could be tomorrows job.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Looking good there chap it's really coming on now and starting to see some light, good job the really bad weather is holding off for now :thumbsup:

20. W.olly

W.olly Member

If only,the temps dropped rea; bad last night and i was wanting to finish the insulating the bow. Still no big deal a s temps will soon get back up.

21. chris mc

chris mc Member

Great read and pics

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor