1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Things are on the up....slowwwly

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by W.olly, Jun 29, 2015.

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

They are welded yes, strong etc, just not neat enough...just me i guess. I think they call it a perfecionist....lol can even spell it, i will practice my spelling now.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. W.olly

W.olly Member

Now this weekends job, i need to remove the canopy and take indoors to finish off, the easy bit, now for the bit i am not looking forward to, and yes i should of not used it but it has been good in the bast unless i got a sheet from a bad batch, but this deck was made from the best WBP Ply from Wicks, i have used it a lot in the past, in all way indoor and mainly out, built kennels, bird box`s etc

This is after a few months and with being treated with 3 coats of poly resin and two metallic primer, so should of been fine even on the cut edge.

[​IMG]

It as been fixed in well so this is going to take some getting out, screwed, sealed and laminated down. I better stock up on the Bow for this job.

The plan is to redo but in GRP, as it should of been in the first place. It will have ribs beneath to strengthen and reduce flex, and thanks to a good chap for the help in materials [​IMG]

I just ripped out the rear deck as i said earlier it has de`leminated on the hatch edge, i got it all t to find that also the rear lower bulkhead is also de`laminating. now that is a real pig of a job.

Before anybody says, yes i used WBP which i have used many a time in the past for trailers. brid box`s shed roofs and years after still good, on the boat i used the same grade and even sealed it with resin. This ply was from Wicks as to the usual Hawworth timber i go to, it has as said de`laminated, not a lot but more than you expect from WBP. it even peeled apart in a good area that was not damp, i ma not kiding but shutter ply has been better..

So next job before anything is new rear lower bulkhead and deck to be made from GRP.

[​IMG]:([​IMG]:([​IMG]:([​IMG]:(

OMG i did all that with out using a four letter word, as T said, better to find it now that when finished..

Well one good bit is am am still going to do the welding myself, i am happy with these now, i am now resting my side of my hand nearer my little finger, helps a lot more.

pic to follow, just pickling it :)

4. back lash

back lash Member

olly im sure you will make a decent job of the welding. what you have done looks ok to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. W.olly

W.olly Member

So here we go, this weekend been busy with bit n bobs. Plan was to redo the rear deck, but as the marine ply was not delivered that was put on hold. And i couldnt make the GRP panels as i needed the hardboard aswel to make them which was coming with the ply. oh well still had lots to do.

I removed the rails etc so i can polish them up, then i had to finish the canopy, just fettle a few imperfections........more filling and sanding I HATE SANDING AND FILLERing [​IMG]

Now bits that have been done, there was a few spiders on the bow which i ground back and filled with a good GRP filler. it is on the tread area which will be either all oxide painted or tread stuck on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all ground back with a flexi disc

[​IMG]

filled and good now, also there was a few screws i forgot about that had rusted through.

[​IMG]

Another job was to finish canopy, only trouble with doing it this way is to get a good finish, but a smooth filler and its a matter of fill, sand, fill sand untill your happy with it, and as always i want it perfect so take darn ages.

[​IMG]

primed, it is amazing how much a little paint shows up defects, but it is ok. bit more to fill then refit the canopy for now.

[​IMG]

h but before i fitted the canopy back on the screen i primed that to see where that needs a fettle, not to bad but that is todays job. Looking better now all the same colour

[​IMG]

chuffed with the finish now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing i need is grab rials for the canopy top, i didnt want to add more stainless steel ones as this will give more draft, and for now i want to keep as low as possible, and as there is no wood but for the rubbing strake i though this mite help out a little. I used the same Sapele as i do ike it and will be coated with Danish clear oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are all over the place sorry but i sorted the rails out, all welded up now just need to polish back up the welds. but all fit as should, shame a bout the port side rails, the mounts are not inline, and these are built in into the boat and to resett them will be a BIG job so i just put kink in the port rail, not happy with this but i will put up with it. You cant see it much really, although in the pic you can see it.

This was while i was tacking the feet on

[​IMG]

I sat the feet on the nuts to keep it off the GRP so as not to burn the boat just yet.

Starboard side fitted

[​IMG]

There is a bigger job i was wanting to do this weekend and that was to replace the rear deck, i ordered the Marine ply on thursday for delivery, well the place i get it from is less than a mile up the road and they had to get it from there other depot 15 mile away, well they collected it yesterday but didt drop it off and they were passing my house to get to there depot. I could of got it myself if i knew they were not dropping it off. annoying.

So a few bits done and now off to fill and make good the screen.........neeeeeeeds to be nice

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

It's coming on a treat, loving the work done on this so far :) well done, and that canopy looks spot on now it's all done, you might notice that kink in the rails now but once the boat is all painted and on the water you'll forget all about it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skids

Skids Member

Nice looking boat

• Like Like x 1
  8. W.olly

W.olly Member

Finished early today so i thought i would give the next update, a few bits done and just managed to get the new deck done, weather was very risky this weekend, and after work now i am to tired so to keep my sanity, what is left of it, i only do work on the boat at the weekends now, maybe a few bits during the week. But i get a bit stroppy with the need to get the boat done asap, and we all know that when your rushing and stressing it just makes things go wrong, there fore take longer.

New deck is 18mm Marine ply with a single 650grm combination matt, just to seal it a bit more than just resin.

image: http://s5.postimg.org/8ooxqe6yv/20160922_161335.jpg

[​IMG]

Even with a straight head i managed to cut the matt to short, on by a few inch so i just patched it up with a few strips of more 650 combo matt.

image: http://s5.postimg.org/x6h1ea9jb/20160925_122655.jpg

[​IMG]

This the gap i missed and the job in hand,

image: http://s5.postimg.org/6nye5katj/20160925_122712.jpg

[​IMG]
    image: http://s5.postimg.org/ydzkk8p1j/20160925_124644.jpg

[​IMG]

Nicely wet out but for the white strands, just would not wet out for some reason, no big deal though this,will make no effect on the water proof or strength in the deck.

image: http://s5.postimg.org/4al1sals7/20160925_130639.jpg

[​IMG]

I have been meaning to seal the front bulkhead and locker seats for months but keep forgetting while laminating. hey i remembered today
    image: http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.png

[​IMG]

These will be laminated in place soon,

image: http://s5.postimg.org/52nprhpzb/20160925_130651.jpg

[​IMG]
    image: http://s5.postimg.org/as3ybsw5j/20160925_130708.jpg

[​IMG]

BIG JOB done here, or strong one i hope, dont ask why but it needs to be done some time so i drilled through for the recovery eye, nearly got it square, not big deal again as i will be drilling it out wider than the M12 thread so i can set a SS pipe in then with epoxy.

image: http://s5.postimg.org/94dj59g3r/20160915_182030.jpg

[​IMG]
    image: http://s5.postimg.org/yoftbp1hj/20160915_182040.jpg

[​IMG]

Hey its i the middle though inside

[​IMG] i still need to decide when to laminate the batten yet. Ireckon it will be strong enough...plenty but its just me to over do things .

image: http://s5.postimg.org/ofelxrflz/20160925_142439.jpg

[​IMG]

These are the spreader blocks for the bow rail, they are 150mm x 80 mm from 18mm Marine ply. Just a small job but very important.

image: http://s5.postimg.org/v79mectzb/20160925_144302.jpg

[​IMG]

These i am well chuffed with, the grab rails for the canopy. I gave them 3 coats of clear Danish oil. Also had a brain wave how to oil the bolt holes with ease and no waist.

I used one of the bolt thatwill be used, dipped it in the oil and twisted it up and down in the hole to oil it. small thing please small minds hey

[​IMG]

I just love sapele

[​IMG]

image: http://s5.postimg.org/wskasfetj/20160925_135421.jpg

[​IMG]

image: http://s5.postimg.org/7ntaf0fd3/20160925_135437.jpg

[​IMG]

image: http://s5.postimg.org/khrc8cssn/20160925_135529.jpg

[​IMG]

Cant wait to fit the rubbing strake.

Bring on the two week off work

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. Salar

Salar Member

A bit late I know but a thought on that wonky port rail, could you just angle the upright so it meets the base but is not actually vertical? Less noticeable than a kinked rail.

10. W.olly

W.olly Member

I did that first off, its was actually a lot more noticeable. The leg stuck out so much, reasonis....

try to picture this, rear leg central, middle leg 10mm to the left then the ront 20mm to the right of the rear.

Very annoying, but as some have said i will........IMO not........gte used to it abd not notice it, like all the other bits i am not happy with. i will put up with it.

11. W.olly

W.olly Member

Now then this arrived the other day, as soon as it was opened i wanted to go paint the boat, good job it was raining other wise i would of. I got the Jotun Pioner top coat, and more primer, reason is that it is good for being applied at low as 5deg and can be over painted easy without any prep done, just a wash down. The entire hull will be blue with no antifoul.....yet. if i need to then i will when/if the time arrives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have started to get bits together for the trailer and i won these on ebay, going to pick them up this weekend, just need 10-12 dumbell keel rollers now,

[​IMG]

After work today, as i finish early now[​IMG], i cut off the leaf springs from the axles, reason is they are a bit OTT as they have a payload of 5000kg and give a harsh ride for the boat, Got a price of £460 to replace with new or £200 to reduce the leaf by two, well if i was to go that way i would do that myself as i have done that before on cars, so not difficult aslong as you get the correct pins and clamps.

Back on ebay, i found these brand new packs and a fraction of the previous leaf packs above.

http://www.ebay.co.u...36...:MEBIDX:IT

I am sure the boat will not weigh more than 1750kg, a dry weight on a spec sheet i was sent by a chap say they are 1100kg, so with engine and all other fitting and the extra weight in ply and resin etc i can not se eit weighing in at 2500kg, just what a few folk have said.

All that said, once fitting out is nearer complete i will weigh it on the drive, i just need a set of bathroom scales and my mathematics polishing up.

12. suzook12

suzook12 Member

Dont forget to add the sprung weight of the trailer...... ;)

13. mudislander

mudislander Member

looks great, that Top coat works well, used it on one of my boats, leaves an orange peel effect with a foam roller. The white I used on the interior is blinding but fades quickly. Found sun tan cream from folk sitting stains it, I just go over it with a roller with no prepping before the summer starts and done. Boat looks new every year.

14. W.olly

W.olly Member

It saves a lot on time prepping doesnt it, reason i chose it lol, fed up with sanding and prepping, if i can get away with doing less in the future then i will do.

Have you ever used the Pioner top coat for treads using aluminium oxide grit. In the info pack you can do but i was wondering how long it lasts.

Yep all included, i have been looking for a ready to go trailer but all well over £1k, better to have one custom for it ;)

15. mudislander

mudislander Member

Yes after 2 years a slight touch up, no prep just remask and go again:) to easy. Be ware if you ever plan on going across to EU, you need a trailer that has an MOT and licence papers and braked . It hurts had to buy one taking our boats to Croatia.

16. W.olly

W.olly Member

Now then for the updates on this weekends work. As aid i have two weeks off to get dome what i can, i have a list of the bits i want done before i stat to wire and line it out.

Near Finished *

Finished **

1 Paint canopy **

2 Finish screens frames *

3 Fit Bow rail **

4 Fit Hand rails

5 Fit rubbing strake **

6 Fit lockers and bilge hatch trim *

7 Make Anchor/chain looker

8 raise the canopy by 25mm/1inch

I removed the canopy and painted it in the workshop as rain has been on and off, Good temps including over night and no dew point inside so managed that easy [​IMG], shame i can get the boat in the workshop. twp coats of primer and two topcoat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get the idea, it is white now, i have lost pictures some how, bit of a strange things i have lost them on my phone and laptop, last nogth my phone turned off and the laptop just turned off and i lost my screen saver and a few things....pictures aswell maybe.

Anyhow

When i measured up materials for the top screen frames i got it all wrong by 50% short. I thought the materials were cheap for them. I had to go back to get more hockey stick profile and now i had to reorder more Neoprene seal,should be here in a few days. I got on with what was needed to be done like clean the frames up and test one screen to see if the seals i have done work and they sealed a treat after a few down pours over night.

As you can see i have used plastic windows, easy to drill, fast speed and a slow feed, this way it softens the plastic and cuts easy with less chance of cracking.Also you can drill within MM of the edge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neoprene i used is 30mmx1.5mm reason is that i had 1mm spare once the window sat in the frame, i stuck down a neoprene strip dwon and the frame as you can see and one on the window aperture, once the neoprene compresses down it gives a darn good seal.

[​IMG]

Yes all frames are polished up to match the main windows, wish will need a quiclk going over again soon as i got paint and resin on them when i was faffing with the other jobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a quick look ate the frames half fitted, infact this is before i removed them to polish and also make the other two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been pulling my hair out, what there is anyhow, i am not the best at getting angles set nice, but i am chuffed with the screens after i sussed an idea to do that. Now the locker frames.....OMG these took me ages to do, thnk it was with the Z section and only having an angle grinder to cut them with, i was at points chucking my tools. All done though in the end [​IMG] Sealed down with Sikaflex marine and SS screws.

The ally frame is Z profile 22x32x22....i think lol. I wanted less upright than the 32mm but unable to find any. I will add some hardwood strip or rubber to lift the lid level to the top edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By eck i have been busy, seeing now what i have done in a few days.

Bow rail, I had the help of T to do this, just not possible on my own. I used M8x50mm SS button heads to bolt them in with SS washers and nylocs. I have lost the pics of when i needed to trim the gunnel side as this was ruff cut from the mould and protruding below the strake which looked a mess.So they had to be fitted, marked and then removed, incase i caught the strake with the grinder when cutting back.

Strake took some bending but all went well and no creaking or cracks in the Sapele. Sealed around the bolt with Sikaflex Marine again.

Bow rial fitted to [​IMG], this had to be done as water was leaking in the bow with the drill hole i dod a few week back I forgot to cover them with gaffer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may well be thing about the gap in the strake on the bow point, it would of some doing to bend the strake around that, even with making a steamer, i did think of it but then i will be making a SS point to wrap around it with the bow roller to bolt down on.

Thats about it for now, From the list above of jobs before line out, well, all i want to do is fit the rails then i will start to line out while i am waiting for more neoprene to arrive so i can fit the screen windows. and then the canopy can go back on.

I mentioned i want to raise the height of the canopy, this is due to the screen frames being to close to the edge of the canopy, I wanted to use Z profile as with the ocker lids, as aid i couldnt find any small enough which would of looked ok.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mudislander

mudislander Member

Looking good mate. :Oo:

18. W.olly

W.olly Member

It does then it doesnt, looks great with the canopy and screens in, that canopy must be bloody dizzy amout of times it has been on and off lol. Mite gte it bolted down tomorrow........darn i want to paint the top edge first :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. mudislander

mudislander Member

Hey I am a dust pot from sanding these two last week's. Fill fair sand,fill sand story of my life, get on with it. You doing a swell job. The rail looks tops

20. W.olly

W.olly Member

I was thinking i had done all the filling and sanding etc etc until last night, but for the quick prep of primer befoe i paint.......the below water line repairs need doing, and theres loads :( oh i will be moaning all i can with a bit of cursing along the way.

21. mudislander

mudislander Member

Well I'm am sure you will do a great job. :BigGrin:

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor