tope from the shore my targeted species 2012 meet get together

Discussion in 'South and West Wales Catch Reports & Advice' started by nickipontyberem, Mar 26, 2012.

1. nickipontyberem

nickipontyberem Member

i have brought a new boat type multiplier reel that holds neary 600 meters of line some 8/0 hooks and strong leader and i will get braid for my rigs my plan is to smash my sea fish pb of just under 5 ld lol im targeting tope from the shore after doing some reading on the subject i realize its not going to be easy task but that's what fishing all about rite ? i will be taking a flattie rod to pass the time and hopefully get me a live bait to get mr tope hungry my plan is to get a group together or like a planned meet i fish normally on my own but not sure if i landed one it would be possile to unhook on my own !! im sure some of you would be interested in trying this ive spoke to vas about the subject think he may be interested in having a go too im planning a trip for about three weeks time on the smaller tides in the cycle my location will be cefn sidan i have read on here the other end of the beach to detters row is deeper and slopes off quicker and as i will be casting / staking bait out and leaving for as long as possible might be better up there ive never fished that end but think for what im thinking of trying it might be a good place to start

ok now onto the questions :blink:

1 ... best baits for tope live flatfish ????

2 ... would a ground bait bag chum sack be good idea near my bait ????

3 ... will my 4 oz beach 10 ft beach caster handle a fish of that size ???

4 ... how would you unhook it with pliers ?????

5 ... has any one done this and has it worked ????

6 ... best time of year to try this will i be wasted time this early in year ???

7 ... can any one give me any other advice to questions ive not thought of ????

sorry for the lack of punctuation its not my strong point !!! thanks guys i really want to make this happen this year and really appreciate any help given :clap3:

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. springwell

springwell Member

Nicki,

I've done a bit in the past PM sent.

Bill

3. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Good luck and let us all now how u get on!

4. woodsy

woodsy Member

hiya, best of luck, you have to be in it to win it as they say.
    personally, i would head a little further west, and try one of the points around barafundle bay, that area.

5. nash

nash Member

Oct and Nov are good months to land a biggie female Tope from the shore, May to June for the smaller pack male Tope, Flounder, fresh Mackeral, large Launce and Common Eel sections are worth trying.

6. LordLugworm

LordLugworm

[​IMG]

Use a wire trace 18" long and good for 100lbs..... or 180lbs+ forward snood for the sharp teeth... anything below 120 will get bite offs..
    I prefer mono snoods to wire, seam to get betta hook ups..

Look how close to shore i am here..
    [​IMG]
    I was useing dead biat this day...
    But find live maccy so much betta.. Not really used flatties for them..

[​IMG]

Fish from the beach imediate right hand of landland bay..looking out from land at sea to your right...
    Off from whiteshell point or on the beach to right hand ok. End of april first weeks of may till end of may ok.. the fish your after are there simple..

Bury a dead biat at low tide just under the sand..ok then 5ft from that a weight 6oz-just under sand. walk back up beach n wait for tide to follow..
    wait untill about three hours before tide top n then pull it out from sand till you feel it able to wind back in ok.. now wait .. the next 2 hours your fish r gonna pass n take.
    pennel 2 big J hooks 10/0 or 8/0.. bigger the better tho.

You can tell a female by the look of the head eventually and the males also..

Why bury the bait..
    Well 1 reason the doggy pack will have a blast n you want a whole fish presented.
    second.
    I walked up one beach yrs ago.. n then my rod tip went nuts as i walk up leaving line out n my reel nested up..
    Why this happen..??
    Frikken seagull took me dead biat and weight from the beach up in the air.. another KITE..
    also stops it from tangling while tides push up n across beach..

Bury em works fine n fish flatie rod as stated down beach a tad..

Oh and a running ledger rig....ok

Best of luck.. luggy...

not used a live biat for this...complicated getting a live maccy to venue..

7. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

I dont agree with the pennel rig you only need one hook, tope crush the bait to bits when they pick it up. A second hook is just a nuisance especially if you are unsure about unhooking fish. A good strong hook like a Varivas big mouth Extra will do fine. Fresh mackerel as bait and a lot of patients. Try a running paternoster if the ground is snaggy you can make the tail of the rig a weak link. Set your drag and fish on the ratchet, you will know when a tope takes your bait. Dont walk away from your rod.
    as for the chumming it depends on the mark but I just keep cutting up all the guts and heads and trickle feed a constant small stream into the water in front of me.

8. Vas

Vas Team Rig Maker

Very similar method to what I came up with when researching this and talking to some knowledgeable anglers on the subject

9. LordLugworm

LordLugworm

Seeing as the tope are there Very soon ie Early May even possible-mid April.. thought i might add this for you all..

The fresher dead your maccy the better..
    prefer is to get it super fresh as you can get n forget the frozen rubish..

First leave the reel open pay out line walking up beach to rod rest and leave it open but now put the ratchet on..
    use a bell if off fishing with flatie rod ok....
    you can leave it un attended with the clutch open to pay line out if a bite takes place...

when the reel starts to click wait n do nothing but pick up rod gentle ok.
    then count to about 5 seconds to 7 seconds n then reel in like fury untill you feel the fish going nuts n hit a few times to sink your hooks home... possibly even jumping back a tad to maximise the rod bend to hook set..
    you have preset the drag to release prior to going to beach..

4original poster to test rod??????????????????here below?

shove you scales upside down tight to ground and tie them off to something,
    add line leader line from rod tip to scale hook you normally hang fish from ok..
    ok at the desired pulling power on rod ie 28lbs on scales say it needs to now give at the reels drag ok..clutch closed.?? as long as rod did not snap at this point it can take a 35lbs beast going crazy.. drag giving will sort the rod n rod action sorts the fish..tires it out for you...
    So if the rod your speaking of snaps ok.. then it could not take that fish anyways ... but it should be ok.. famoose last words ey...:g:
    May have to thumb your reel to achive the higher drag or lock it up n pull it see if it snaps up
    ROD TEST OVA-

Ok maybe you have fought fish and not just winched em in, then i need no tell you this bit.. but if you have not fought em... ..
    ere goes.

Reset the drag, before fishing to about 9lbs to 11lbs if fishen 20lbs to 25lbs lines.???????????????

Dont allow your rod tip to go straight .. keep it bent into the fish at all times...
    the drag will give and happy days, if you feel the rod tip bend to fish then stop reeeling for a second till the fish is not pulling so hard, reeel it in again the second you feel the fish giving up the tuggage... n belive me they can be rather lively...n pull some n bend a rod right over...

as for the way the tope bite..

the clicking you will hear with the clutch set open to pay out but ratchet on to audio the bite?????if not bell also,, the clicking is the tope picking up the bait?
    then it will run very fast about 20 50yrds or more with the biat being turned to a position the tope can swallow it... it will move at high speed to help push the baits head into its mouth..

Have one hook coming from maccy head about 1 inch behind maccy head just before dorsal fin..pointing up but back to maccys tail the hook point.thats your bottom hook pennel ok.
    the next hook is near maccy tail end that your top hook pennel??
    so your maccy is now upside down if you held aloft the snood.

So now when the bugger bites that maccy near the middle first n turns it, he runs n turns the maccy to devour it...your counting to allow the turning around of snached bait...has already got the first hook in his mouth?
    if lucky n a clean grap from the tope both hooks will be in there..

this the point you get to 7 and reel in like crazy till you feel the weight of pure fish n rod tip bend rite over towards the sea....

that hit i mentioned .. give it a few hits now...soon as you feel a conection to the fish to drive home your hook deep n the rest is you and your experience...

one more thing.. the speed they swim at? they can make your line go loose n you think fish gone but not.. in most cases i would say keep reeeling till you feel the fish.. but from shore n only a long distance you cannot lob a maccy out at, stops this so let it be it may have dropped it, retrval means no retrying..But ah..... wait for another to pick it up or you feel the fish again n work him ok. when the hooks are set they aint dropping anything..

Ok that about all i can help with...
    Hope it helps..
    Me i like them so much, i dont fish for them anymore..
    The only reason i have me holding them n 2011 was to prove a point n to help some in most cases to have one as a first.....

Find them facinating fish...
    and i feel cruel hurting em...

I do know of a long range casting style to cast a Full size maccy out mind....??
    to re-Deploy at long range..
    But that will be revealed in me new book.

Do it like Luggy - be out in amazon.. will let ew all know when

Ah ok, will tell ew heer then..

What ew do, is wait till theres a bit of off-shore breeze n then use a Balloon.
    nick a hook in the balloons neck just above the knot that stops it deflating an that can take a maccy plus 5- 6 oz out quite fast with a bit of breeze...

When you out far enough? you yank the line in the balloon n hook pops the balloon because of the 5 6oz lead below...weight n maccy are dropped back in fishen grounds..
    You half lose the balloon.. but hooks r still good;)

Beats casting long range to ray grounds n other places but only works with the wind ay..

Hopefully see ew all ballooning this year hey..

Good luck to all who venture forth
    Hopefully you dont come fifth heh..

And who was the Tit who built the Tanic...
    He said it would never sink...
    Yawn...

Blessing's all
    S-luggy

10. nickipontyberem

nickipontyberem Member

thankyou to all who have replied some very informative answers will be giving it a try very soon !

11. carpfather1

carpfather1 Member

Some top Info from lordluggy there :notworthy

12. nickipontyberem

nickipontyberem Member

yes hat off to the bloke he knows his stuff and willing to share his infor for the good of the angling worlsd hes a credit to this site :clap3:

13. Vas

Vas Team Rig Maker

Let me know when and I will join you if I can

14. nickipontyberem

nickipontyberem Member

with the recent info ive got im thinking of trying about half way through may early june time will send a pm a bit nearer the time thankyou all :clap2:

15. fudgefish

fudgefish Member

What pound line are you advising to use with a 28lb drag setting ?
    and best of luck holding on :uhuh::uhuh:

16. Vas

Vas Team Rig Maker

What are you trying to say ???

17. juanpablo

juanpablo Member

Looks like you have had plenty of good advice already. Some historic marks for you in the Gower vicinity include right hand side of the worm (tricky height above water here), Rhosilli Ledges and Broughton Bay.
    Broughton was made famous by Clive Gammon back in the 70s and featured one of the main estuary channels being within casting distance at spring low. The tope would run up this channel later in the tide so they would cast a huge bait into the channel and then walk the gear back up the beach. Mid-high tide they would expect action.
    Since the late 80s I think, the channel moved further offshore and is not as accessible to this method however the tope still work the area.
    The tope here were running the estuary channel and importantly they are there for a different reason, the are looking for flatfish primarily. Agreed the estuary mouth has mackerel shoals but there are far easier and more prolific hunting grounds for the mackerel. So the lesson is to try and match the bait to what you suspect the tope are there for. Another advantage with the flatfish bait is that dogfish tend to ignore it. If they are prolific at a Mark they will annihilate a whole mackerel....
    So, does the right hand side of the worm or the ledges still hold tope? Well we know the helwick bank is an excellent tope Mark, there is certainly good depth (the worm holds a good 60ft+ depth within easy casting range. The mackerel frequently shoal up in these areas and he adjacent surf beach is stuffed with flounders - therefore I see no reason why not! It would need a lot of effort and time, not many people bother with it up here but in north Devon there is a regular band of anglers who record consistent success and some monstrous fish!
    Try dropping an email to Summerlands Angling Centre in Westward Ho. There is someone who works there called Simon I think, he know Kevin Legge who just broke the british shore record and I'm sure would offer advice on the tactics that they use.
    As far as knowing when to strike, as Luggy stated let them take off on the initial run as they will often just pick the macky up and shoot off with it, they then stop, devour it some more and go again, trick is to try setting the hook as they are devouring it some more! Other times they can hit it just right first time and hook themselves so as you have been advised don't leave the clutch tight!

18. fudgefish

fudgefish Member

Well clearly you nor luggy have tried fishing 28lb of drag on a beachcaster

19. nickipontyberem

nickipontyberem Member

i think the point he was trying to make was that i would need to set my drag to match my rod strength as that was my initial question the reason i think this is he wrote ie meaning example before the 28ld

on a lighter note still some really good info coming on this for me i expected it to be few and far between surprissed so many people have tryed this !

20. LordLugworm

LordLugworm

a good 30lbs to 40lbs but??? some of the tope top 70...

yes you need to read between the lines..
    as i speak i ahve a three yr old begging me to sing twinkle twinkle....

what i use.....

mainline 25lbs or 20lbs ..

leader about 80lbs.

then zip slider then swivel.

then 100lbs 3 and a half ft then another swivel. now biting end?

160lbs.. 180lbs.. 18inches long.. pennell 2 x 10/0

so if your good .. 20-25lbs line will hold a 70lbs fish on till ew got that 80lbs leader in yer hands.... and then you will set the drag to blow out at only 12-15lbs..
    want to set a 10/0 in this case?
    the rest is run out of the water--up the beach n drag it out..

Nick asked if his rod would take it?
    seeing as the fish there are regular above 28?
    lower being 18'ns

upper being 70+ ..i did say from quoting his post to set it to 28 n see if his rod would take it first..?

He could hump 1 or 2 hooks home setting drag much lower..
    But i wanted him to slam them in from the beach...