1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Using braid on beach multipliers

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by fishing_fanatic, Nov 14, 2016.

1. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

All Im thinking of trying braid on my penn 525's for general fishing at distance - what are the pitfalls and what are the better brands to use?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Poseidon.

Poseidon. Previously sharkbait-oooo-ha-ha

ive been debating trying this for a while, still havnt done it yet though. im put off by when you do get a small birdie i think it will be a nightmare to get out and expensive if you do mess it up, also if you do catch a big fish i think it might imbed onitself on the spool, generally i concluded it will be more hassle than its worth on a multi.as you would need to use a fairly thick diameter to stop it digging in on spool you wont gain anything and i think leads would get pulled out if fishing at distance. please try it though and let me know how you get on, its a question ive wanted someone else to answer for ages

4. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

Cheers Poseidon, the concerns you mention mirror my own. I have seen a few lads using Braid up North and wondered whether braid technology had improved enough to give it a whirl on my beach multipliers

5. Poseidon.

im guessing the only reason you want to use braid is for bite detection? lets be realistic you always know when a fish is biting theres no confusing it, so..... do we really need braid na

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

No not really, the breaking strength to diameter ratio is much better for braid compared to mono :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Poseidon.

true but you would encounter problems if you were to drop to the tiny diameter braids on a multi's, so i was meaning there wasnt really benfits from using braid on a multi. this is my opinion not starting no wars bud, it cant be denied that braid does certainly have advantages over mono

8. griff_derry

griff_derry Member

ive the cheap spectra on mines. 50lb black spectra goes a mile when casting and no need for shock leader havnt had any issues in over 2 years and 100s of trips

• Like Like x 1
  9. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

Thanks Griff for the reply, Is there any chance you can send me a link with a supplier of that braid on?

10. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

Hiya f-f,
    have a look on Amazon, think the 50lb Spectra's around 7 quid for a 300 metre spool.
    There's one or two WSFer's who do use braid on a multi but from what i remember of their previous posts think they're using braid of 0.3 to 0.35 ish dia.
    Rick;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. Torrsam

Torrsam Member

After half a lifetime of using mono on multipliers swapped over to braid on a couple of my multis- akios and an Abu 7000 for rough ground using 80lb J braid and a chinese 100lb respectively straight through- no problems with over runs or nasties , great bite detection and no leader knots to give problems

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Poseidon.

are you ging to give braid a try then?

13. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

Yes definately going to give it a try

14. Poseidon.

let me know how you get on, im intrigued how it works with distance casting

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oneready

oneready Member

what do you lads do for breaking the spool to stop overruns ? I thinking finger caught in line for a little while before its fall on floor . how far are you casting with braid on multiplier

16. Torrsam

Torrsam Member

Keep the cast smooth,With Akios - mag set about 2/3-1/2 on depending on conditions- maybe reduces distance slightly, but no tendency to over-run, just thumb it as lead hits the water- the Abu- just gentle pressure a little earlier- cant give you exact distances as not casting over grass- but reckon more yards than with mono, 80lb braid is .35 diameter whereas the 20lb mono was .43. Am sure others can give you better advice re distances.

17. fishing_fanatic

fishing_fanatic Member

Torrsam, which brand braid are you using to get 80lb braid at 0.35mm diameter?

18. griff_derry

griff_derry Member

just ebay search spectra braided fishing line I got 1000 metres for 15 quid delivered

19. big spurrie

big spurrie Member

I've been using braid on my Saltists for years and would never go back to mono.
    Go by diameter rather than b/s and make sure you use a round profile. I use powerpro which
    is 66lb and .35mm same as 15lb mono in my Saltist 20s and 80lb - .42mm on my Saltist 30s.
    There's no leader needed.
    Regarding distance, where I fish, distance isn't necessary but it casts fine, one thing is to turn the
    mags up a bit. You'll be amazed with the bite detection, I use Zziplex M4 Evos which haven't the best
    bite detection and I can watch
    crabs nibbling away at 120m out and 60m down!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. griff_derry

griff_derry Member

mines is 55lb and 0.35mm also and it casts very well and the need for shock leader has also disappeared. no more digging around tieing shock on at 3am in -3 lol

21. oneready

oneready Member

just been out today and the chap next to me was fishing with braid on a penn 525 mag 40 lbs braid not having any problems casting just said put mag on a bit more than normal , going 80=100yds so may give this a go

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor