World Sea Fishing Forums banner

VerticalScope Inc Aquires WorldSeaFishing

44K views 203 replies 88 participants last post by  Nick Phillips 
#1 ·
On Christmas Eve of 2015 I agreed a deal with VerticalScope Inc of Canada that would ultimately see them acquire the forum assets of WSF Media. As of today VerticalScope Inc owns the WorldSeaFishing.com domain name, the WSF Forums, the SeaAngling.org.uk domain name and the SeaAngling.org.uk Forums.

On Monday the 1st of February I permanently removed the WSF Webzine from the WSF Site creating a standalone sea angling forum site, the largest sea angling only forum in the UK. As part of the acquisition deal reached with VerticalScope Inc, I will retain the WSF Webzine content and will be launching a new, separate online sea angling webzine away from WSF. Whilst this is a separate entity from the WSF Forums, WSF has been my life for almost two decades, so the new webzine will continue to provide a link back to the WSF Forums.

It was important for me that any new owner would be able to take the forum in its present form, foster continuity and in the long term provide the capital and resources to push the forum on to greater things. There was no question in my mind that VerticalScope Inc was the ideal partner for this. VerticalScope Inc passionately run forums just like WSF in a number of industries. Their founder and CEO is an avid forum user and The WSF Forums will join an illustrious group of angling websites owned by VerticalScope Inc. including the Allcoast Network, Noreast.com, TidalFish.com, boat.com and other outdoor brands. With the resources VerticalScope Inc have at their disposal, I’m excited to see what the future holds for the WSF Forums.

It is important to stress that VerticalScope understand forums and their communities and it is their wish that the forum carries on "as is” with the best interests of WSF at heart. With the same ethos and mantra that we've always had, to provide the most up to date information to the most amount of sea anglers possible.

As for myself, well, my time with forums will come to an end. Once the transition and final handover procedures have been completed within the next few weeks I will be resigning from my position as Head Administrator of the WSF Forums. After 17 years I feel it is the right time to step down and let somebody else take on the mantle of running the UK’s largest and busiest angling forum. I have agreed with VerticalScope Inc to stay on as Species Hunt Co-Ordinator for 2016, so I will still be running this competition and sending you out your stickers and badges.

It’s been an exciting adventure full of hard work, difficult moments and the odd wildcard member, however, despite this, I’ve enjoyed every second of running this forum. I founded the site with what was effectively pocket money in 1998 as a project during a wet and windy summer holiday break from school. It was never my intention it would become the most popular angling site in the UK and reach over 250,000 anglers a month. It’s amazing it got to that level and I’m proud of our achievements in pioneering online angling over the past 17 years.

I will forever be indebted to the guys who have helped run the site over these past 17 years, many of whom have become good friends. Their tireless dedication to moderating the forum often goes unnoticed by the rest of the forum community, but without them, there would be no forum.

I would also like to extend my sincere thanks to the members of the forum who have supported the site over the years and who continue to contribute with catch reports and helpful advice to anglers new and old. I doubt there is another website in the country that carries the breadth of knowledge and content that the WSF Forums has amassed over the years.

With that, I must sign off. I look forward to chatting with you, contributing and posting my own reports in the future, not as an admin or a moderator but as a member, a contributor and an angler.

My Very Best Regards and Tight Lines,

Mike Thrussell Jnr

See less See more
#132 ·
Good luck Mike

#133 ·
Well, I downloaded and ran U Block for a couple of days and have seen no difference in the time taken to load pages etc.

#135 ·
Good luck on your future endeavours Mike, I too have watched this forum grow over the years, I don't fish as much but now the kids are at nursery I can get fishing again. I will be getting them into fishing too so we may see you knocking about from time to time.

Welcome Phillip, will you be going to any of the meets fella?

#136 ·
Good luck on your future endeavours Mike, I too have watched this forum grow over the years, I don't fish as much but now the kids are at nursery I can get fishing again. I will be getting them into fishing too so we may see you knocking about from time to time.

Welcome Phillip, will you be going to any of the meets fella?
Not sure but i think Phillip is in Canada!

#139 ·
As part of the acquisition deal reached with VerticalScope Inc, I will retain the WSF Webzine content and will be launching a new, separate online sea angling webzine away from WSF. Whilst this is a separate entity from the WSF Forums, WSF has been my life for almost two decades, so the new webzine will continue to provide a link back to the WSF Forums.
Any news on the webzine?

#141 ·
I've tried to post three times now here on day to day issues only up be redirected here. If you want me me to be an admin etc I'm ok with that.. All you had to do is ask
!
Not sure I understand mate.?

#146 ·
Best thing you can do mate then is toss in your membership instead of hijacking threads for your own devices. You won't be missed stevie and actually maybe then we might just open up more threads instead of you resorting to your typical anti angler borefest.
Interestingly predictable Martyn, not sure how something on topic and relevant to the OP could be construed as hi-jacking any thread.

Been a member for years, told it as it is for years, some like it some hate it but reality never changes....and I'm not really very good at playing lets pretend something is like Y when the reality is a not even distantly related Z.

I am unaware of posting anything anti-angling in my life, which given I have been a mad keen angler for going on 45 years would be pretty much as one would expect.

Your here because no one else will tolerate it stevie.
Not sure what you mean with this Martyn, I have never been unwelcome anywhere that I am aware of.....if you know of anywhere, care to elaborate?

I truly have no issue with you having courage in your convictions and leaving, rather than bleating on and moaning but of course you won't do that....
Why would I want to leave WSF Martyn, it's a good forum, plenty of knowledge to learn from....why would I ever want to leave?

my apologies but your post was self indulgent and odious in the extreme and insulting to the "few" members we do have on here as opposed to your vast swathes of followers
Not sure I see anything insulting, it was a good and valid observation, apologies if it's a touchy issue or whatever and troubles you so.

You don't like it we can get rid of your membership as soon as you like, can't say fairer than that :thumbsup:
I quite like it around here thanks, it's always interesting and very enlightening, what more could one want from any forum....:thumbsup:

#148 ·
Interestingly predictable Martyn, not sure how something on topic and relevant to the OP could be construed as hi-jacking any thread.

Been a member for years, told it as it is for years, some like it some hate it but reality never changes....and I'm not really very good at playing lets pretend something is like Y when the reality is a not even distantly related Z.

I am unaware of posting anything anti-angling in my life, which given I have been a mad keen angler for going on 45 years would be pretty much as one would expect.

Not sure what you mean with this Martyn, I have never been unwelcome anywhere that I am aware of.....if you know of anywhere, care to elaborate?

Why would I want to leave WSF Martyn, it's a good forum, plenty of knowledge to learn from....why would I ever want to leave?

Not sure I see anything insulting, it was a good and valid observation, apologies if it's a touchy issue or whatever and troubles you so.

I quite like it around here thanks, it's always interesting and very enlightening, what more could one want from any forum....:thumbsup:
Fascinating ....I'm glad you like it stevie, now stop knocking it or your choice will go, can't say fairer than that mate :thumbsup:

#163 ·
These forums are for real anglers and not commercial scallop dredgers and commercial fishing sympathisers who like to stifle debate from the real anglers.
I fully agree Nick, having been a real angler for over 45 years both fresh and salt I am sure that I am more than qualified.... I was an active member on here probably long before you knew WSF ever existed.

Forums are generally areas for debate and exchanges of views, please tell me that is still the case on the forum section of WSF and it is not purely a backslapping club nowadays where any dissent from what some have decided is the party line is to be stamped out?

#165 ·
You have your own forum for this stuff stevie why not use it instead of hanging round here like a frustrated spinster. It's not about you or your CV I truly don't think anyone cares but ever since the day you posted your pic of a dog with a hook in its mouth, plus your repeated bile against the cruelty of C+R angling its clear you have no place here. To be fair we have tolerated you for so long but not anymore. You don't like it you go, either by your own violation or by one of us making that decision,but do not expect apologies or remorse because you won't get either mate.

Suck it up and stop moaning or go.....your call.

#177 ·
All I and others see is the many years of content.

Speaks volumes eh....
You must've missed all the years on the Scotland forum and the old C&P where he was constantly attacked purely because of his profession and spent ages disproving a concerted campaign of lies. Some of which came from people he had helped by giving readings of wrecks and readings for where he caught tope etc whilst angling

#178 ·
Sorry for jumping in on this Stevie but out of curiosity i've just searched your previous posts (190 of them) & not one catch report or advice post among them, if as you say you are a recreational angler you obviously don't like sharing info!
Rick;)
If you search really hard you will find a catch report in there which may be of interest to you given your avatar....well over 100 Huss for the day, more than 80 of which went over 10lbs + 30 or 40 Tope I think it was that day ;)

#179 ·
Let's end this.....stevie you have your own forum to spread your message http://www.seaangling.org.uk/
If people want to argue the toss there (as I at times enjoy doing) that's fine but we are not doing it here.

You don't like it tough, as I say your membership can be cancelled immediately with pleasure. What we are not doing is facilitating your angst about angling orgs and anglers anymore, take it up with AT if they will let you but if not stop thinking you are doing it here.

It's not a debate anymore mate you can either suck it up or go. It's tough it's unfair but it's how it is sorry.

#183 ·
Let's end this.....stevie you have your own forum to spread your message http://www.seaangling.org.uk/
If people want to argue the toss there (as I at times enjoy doing) that's fine but we are not doing it here.

You don't like it tough, as I say your membership can be cancelled immediately with pleasure. What we are not doing is facilitating your angst about angling orgs and anglers anymore, take it up with AT if they will let you but if not stop thinking you are doing it here.

It's not a debate anymore mate you can either suck it up or go. It's tough it's unfair but it's how it is sorry.

Martyn grow up, you sound more ridiculous with every post....if you want to ban me just because you can there is nothing I can do about that, but don't paint it up to be anything else but exactly that.

#186 ·
I hope you are not holding your breath !
Be fine, we all get a bit confused at times....or I certainly do, and I think there maybe are a few issues with the search facility, sure I read that somewhere a while back.

#189 ·
There was an issue earlier in the year.
WSF was not affected as far as I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.