1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

VerticalScope Inc Aquires WorldSeaFishing

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by Mike Thrussell Jr, Feb 9, 2016.

1. WSFAdmin

WSFAdmin Administrator Administrator

Apart from emergency maintenance which usually is well an emergency situation you will not expect to see maintenance notices during your peak times.

If you choose to run an ad blocker its your choice, I wont bother you about it.

-Philip

• Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. 240z

240z Member

Welcome to wsf Philip and I hope you enjoy the British humour and moaning.
    It would be great if you sponsored Garry Flier to do a boat build forum as it is the one thing I'm missing now he has completed his boat lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ijjwsg

ijjwsg Member

Mike, thanks for all your efforts over the years & all the best for the future.

Philip, welcome to becoming the administrator of this 'madhouse', my only comment so far, my only concern is over the last week the site has been slow or stopped, throwing up an error message - try again later. I hope this is only due to the transition.

Cheers JJ

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Thrussell Jr

Mike Thrussell Jr One Life - Fish it!

The migration happened on Friday last week. Having talked to the VS tech guru about this it appears a piece of software we used as a plugin on the site is not reacting too well with the new server environment. I believe once the final, final handover stuff is completed that plugin will be disabled, which should stop the intermittent error messages etc. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notso NEW TO THIS

Notso NEW TO THIS Member

Hi Mike... I'm guessing I may have fallen into that category ( once or twice ) but I have never had anything but good responses from you and your team... May I wish you every success with whatever you do in the future. There are many on here ... and I'm sure a few that have left, that owe you a great vote of gratitude for creating this forum and administering it so efficiently over the years. It is always sad when the time comes to move on but that is the way of life. We anglers live in the world of the great outdoors which brings a special love of life and a willingness to share. This forum has been and I'm sure will continued to be a vehicle for us all to share those moments that bring so much pleasure.... THANKS MIKE and GOOD LUCK
    Looking forward to reading YOUR CATCH REPORTS...

To PHILLIP..... Welcome. Look forward to hearing more from you and engaging in what is now your baby. Take care of it... Please.

• Like Like x 2
  7. peeler3

peeler3 Member 2016 Species Hunt
    15 Species

All the best Mike you managed a great forum here, welcome Philip to wsf.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boyscott

boyscott Member 2016 Species Hunt
    25 Species

Mike - thanks for all your hard work and innovation. While others have come and gone WSF been the go-to site for a long time. Wishing you all the best in whatever comes next

Congratulations Philip - I'm sure you will have a to-do list already but can you add these to it:
    - Fix the site so it stops re-rendering and moving about as all the ads pop up. I can live with ads but they need to be house-trained ;-)
    - Roll out a decent mobile app - there was a half decent one a few years back but it died a death when the new forum arrived

Tight lines

9. Bazzer2k8

Bazzer2k8 Member

Decent phone app would be good, also an easier way to upload pics :) Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. razer

razer Global Moderator North West Moderator

All the best Mike and welcome Phil.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WSFAdmin

WSFAdmin Administrator Administrator

Have you used apps like taptalk in the past? We have an inhouse developed mobile app though it only works for vBulletin software at the moment. This site runs on xenforo.
    -Philip

• Like Like x 1
  12. gonefishin

gonefishin Member

Re-introducing the Small Boat Tests would be a good move. If that well known yellow coloured sea angling mag can produce less than 500 words of repetitive each month (does it still do it?) then NEW WSF should be able to do 10x better

• Like Like x 1
  13. mark333

mark333 *BASS LURE GURU*

Unreal , I'm in shock ....

Thanks for everything Mike , you WILL be missed .......
    Thanks for always answering pms promptly , and being more than fair on every occasion we had dealings .......
    Great forum , you should be more than proud ......

Welcome philip .....
    Big boots to fill ......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bubbles

bubbles Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

We did at one point have downloadable apps one which was I believe tapatalk. There has been a fairly long standing issues on some iOS phones where the advert is bigger than the page so the text is unreadable, never seemed to have many issues with a dedicated app.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bubbles

bubbles Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

Any links to that ?

16. David Jones on Harris

David Jones on Harris Member

as a very recent member I want to congratulate Mike for making this forum in its present form. I really enjoy using it and hope it doesn't change. Many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. well done on building a pet project into a business worthy of aquisition by one of the big boys :D . i would like to thank you for creating the forum , i have made a stack of good mates and fished with people all over the place as a direct result of speaking to people on here. it is a great resource for anglers of all types, from the occasional to the obsessed ,and the first recommendation i make to people looking to start sea angling.

i wish you all the best for the future,though i think if wsf is anything to go by ,you will be successful whatever you end up doing.
    cheers rab

• Like Like x 5
  18. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

Wow.

The only real experience I have had of this sort of thing is when pistonheads was sold by petrol Ted to Haymarket.

PH is a very different place now and sadley that special feeling of community was one of the first things to go imo.

Here's hoping for the best for WSF

Mo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

A community is created and maintained by the members and the team looking after it. Rob and the mod team are still all here, so as long as the members still are, it will not change. Besides, some are so long in the tooth and set in their ways, they wouldn't let it. :D

As a nation we don't like change and mistrust the reasons, we got through the change of forum software with not to many problems though, and we will get through this change too.

There is a single point of contact with Phil at the new owners, and larger financial clout then Mike could ever manage to promote the sites. I don't know if there is cross site promotion of other sites owned by VS, but there is the potential for true international membership and 'the rest of the world' having to be divided up into continents or even counties.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Quaylewd

Quaylewd Member

A huge HUGE thank you and very best wishes to you Mike. Joining WSF made an incredible difference to my fishing life. I have made new friends, been to new places and caught fish I could never imagined previously. My avatar picture shows the direct result of using WSF and I will never forget that evening of fishing in Cuba. It would never have happened without having joined WSF! All the best for the future Mike and thank you again. Tight Lines. Steve.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mike Thrussell Jr

Mike Thrussell Jr One Life - Fish it!

It was part of the old webzine, I think they were cut from it about two years ago.

It's not prudent of me to go into details but the new project I have detailed in the opening post to this thread is pencilled to having a "boating" section - of which boat reviews and boating kit and electronics are to feature quite heavily.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor