1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

vladamir putin

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by Oddball62, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

got out today just fog bad from the off about 150 mts still a look out mounted on top off the engine box off we go got just past east winner my plotter suddenly swang 180 degrees and showed me heading back to langstone stopped it reset its self happy days 1 mile did it again still fog had lifted a bit stopped reset its self again this happened 3 more times on the way to dean tail fog started to clear i blame the ruskys they have hacked my gps still fishing steady then hey presto got about 3/4 miles viz and i wasnt alone there were about 6 boats dotted around me ended up lots of whiting pout dogs and a couple of rays best bite of the day my son had a ray on a pennel rig while unhooking it the rays jaws shot out and grabbed his middle finger and pulled the second hook in to his finger not to bad spent the rest of the day with his middle finger sticking up dont know if it really hurt or weather it was cos i kept laughing at him just got back in about 4ish and down came the fog again

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. staggo

staggo Member

Do you seriously expect people to read that ?

• Disagree Disagree x 8
  4. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

any need for that if you dont want to read what ive posted simple dont i enjoyed myself

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. OCTOSPUD

OCTOSPUD Member

You tell him oddball, I enjoyed it:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

im sure im not the only one who had trouble with there plotter/gps i know of two boats that returned to portsmouth cos of trouble with there gps

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MarkieD

MarkieD Member

Some people just don't have a sense of humour.I enjoyed it lol

8. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

cheers lads i thought the forum was set up to inform and entertain ive chatted with some really nice people on the forum but it seems there are always a few that want to turn it in to an arguement dont no why

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RobTheRadish

RobTheRadish Member

Gotta watch them Rays they are crafty B*stards, poor ol Jethro got bitten yesterday aswell. Rob

10. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

You will always get the odd miserable Muppet and I've had my fair share of 'Disagree' replies and didn't know why.

It's not until you have such poor viability that you realise how important your GPS is, Oddball it looks like it's time to get yours sorted or you could be steering towards the Kremlin without knowing it :D:D

I was out yesterday and as it was a neap tide I decided to head to the deeper water East of the Fingers, visibility wasn't great but enough to do 15 knots, fished in 85ft water and all I had was Dogfish, but the drive home was a lot better.

Going that far East lessens the chance of any decent Whiting, but should increase the chance of a Cod or Conger, but I don't think anybody had a good day as there just wasn't enough tide to get the fish interested.

Looks like we are going to see some Gales this week, which might prevent anyone from getting out next weekend. :(:(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. rusty163

rusty163 Member

I can relate to this thread in 3 ways, 1) got my finger stuck in the mouth of a ray once, never again, 2) the gps worked wonders in fog for me a couple of weeks ago, a life saver !!! and 3) I don't do catch reports anymore on this site because in my experience if you catch nought you are a useless fisherman and if you have a great day you are bragger, you just can't win, Cheers Rusty.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

i heard of 2 cod from the spoils i stayed by dean tail on the edge of the channel about 60 ft later when viz inproved i moved over to a bit of rough ground by bullocks i watched a massive container ship come in the channel and the banana boat come out fully expecting it to come out the channel bit surprised to see it head straight off towards the pullar i wasnt in the channel just inside dean tail and thought how close he would have been to me i thought i would be safe there but it seems some ships dont always use the channel be warned

13. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

I'm surprised anything is being caught on the Spoils at the moment as that's where most of the seabed that's being dredged from Portsmouth harbor is being dumped.

Technically large vessels leaving the Solent should stay in the Nab Channel for safety reasons, over the years I've reported several large ships to the Coastguard for not staying in the channel, this is even more important in bad visibility when fishing boats will be anchored just off the channel assuming they would be safe, in most cases the coastguard has contacted the ship and I have seen them move back in to the channel.

I suspect the reason a large ship would be in the Pullar area is because it would mean less distance saving them time and fuel, but if they got it wrong there is a high chance of running aground as well as bringing them moving through anchored fishing boats.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  14. Ken C

Ken C Member

Sorry i couldnt resist ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. LandlockedAndy

LandlockedAndy Member

"ships dont use the channel" you can say that again. I settled about 3/4 mile west of the shipping lane, north of nab/new grounds area, first thing yesterday and this f*cking brittany ferry appears out of the fog 200 yards away, missing us by equal amount, what genuinely angers me was it must have been sailing 15kts minimum, ploughing through bad visibility. I couldn't hear its engines until it was very close because I had just dropped anchor and my engine was still running. It must have turned quite abruptly out of the shipping channel because its previous fog horns suggested it was originally moving up the channel as normal. It is a horrible feeling looking up at a huge boat break out of the mist.

Needless to say I've never retrieved an anchor so quick in my life and I fished at bullocks for a little while, caught a couple of pouting, lost a few rigs, realised there was zero tide so motored out to the pullar hole where I caught at least 1 dogfish a cast, visibility improved so I moved back to the nab where I caught a few small whiting. Checking the tracks at the end of the day I had covered almost 40nm... not ideal on a short january day. One of the worst days fishing i've had in a while.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  16. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

only heard it was the spoils on radio so lets be honest it could have been anywhere i used to work on the willemina j scolloping out of portsmouth it got run down off the horseshoe bank by the zulfeka all the boys were lost she was 90 ft if i remember captain said he didnt see her what chance for a 20 ish ft grp boat with a foot square bit of metal 8ft in the air would not even feel the bump

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. LilBrit

LilBrit Member

I guess you have experienced poor viability in your fishing quite often going by some of your Skjervoy whinges?? :stirpot::stirpot::p

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. garrydog

garrydog Member

The Brittany Ferry always seems to go as close to IOW as possible and not sure n the channel. Certainly need to watch out for it!

19. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Cheerz Ken, knew you wouldn't let me down ;);)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Never suffered poor visibility in Skjervoy, just lack of fish :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

21. LilBrit

LilBrit Member

Thought you were talking about viability?????

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor