1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

What age?

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by fishingmad26, Jan 7, 2017.

1. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

What age do you all think its suitable to start introducing your little ones into fishing?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

My lad started with me on lures at around 3 1/2 years.
    Been fishing properly since 4.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

My eldest is 4 now but don't feel he is ready yet... Maybe when he is 6-7
    I think the type of fishing plays a big part in it, when I was very young my father would take me down the local estuary with floats etc. When I was a bit bigger my father started taking me down the pier then :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. bracklesham boy

bracklesham boy Member

Think it varies on how interested they get.
    My 6 year old boy doesn't seem to be interested , get bored after about half hour.
    My 10 year old girl loves it , she wants to come every session.
    Think you've just got to try them , but don't force the issue.
    Always helps if they catch a few small ones first of to keep the interest.:)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Forking lugs

Forking lugs Member

I would say whenever they want to go as long as they are confident around outdoor activities and you can fish safely with them, I personally would start them on a local freshwater pond so they could catch regularly keeping there interest as you probably know a bored child soon become as mischievous child, certainly wouldn't take them anywhere sea fishing at this time of the year when sea's got a chop on, I've been fishing since I could walk and haven't looked back I'm now 39, so as long as they're interested and safety is paramount I would say whenever they're confident and competent of outdoor activities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Member

As soon as possible. The earlier they start fishing, the earlier they start learning more about the world around them. It's so important that kids develop a sense of curiosity and wonder at a young age.

As a point of reference, my grandfather started me off on the local lake catching rudd and roach, then I graduated to the local beach at about ten and the breakwater a year or so later. Those early days at the lake have left me with a love and appreciation of the natural world that has stuck ever since.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.

LRF is the way mate.
    Lots of action is what they need, my lad has had his own gear since he was 4.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Forking lugs

Forking lugs Member

It
    I think its a good way to introduce the next generation to conservation a protecting the environment which a lot of kids disregard these days

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

First took my son when he was 3, but only to sites I was happy with. Most of the time it's on a beach with a river flowing through it. He's done a charity match last year, where he only had to cast 10 yards or so over a wall. He's fished 'kiddy corner' in Whitby and Weymouth stone pier where there are barriers to reduce falling risk. The wife or his considerably older brother are with us for places like West bay, without any barrier. I wouldn't take him anywhere alone without the barrier though until I considered him mature enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I would agree with what is being said. I think my old man stsrted me at about 5 years old on the river with him, mainly worm and minnow on an old fly rod and reel for trout. Progressed to a spinning outfit and fly fishing anf fly tying which i think i would have been doing by the age of ten. Certainly caught my first salomn by the age of ten, had a wild 3 and a hslf pound brownie and i think i would have been younger than that when i caught my first sea fish, a mackerel off the pier at Dunoon where wee were on holiday.

There are disractions along the way, but if you can establish the basic skills early it is something that you can come back to.

Mine in no particular order have been work, uni, rugby, wine women(marriage) and song, but i have always fished, some years less than others.
    I have always primarily been a game fisher salmon trout and sea trout, then sea and pike fished, the latter two went when time was short.
    I am now getting back in to a bit of sea fishing and might pick up pike as well if time allows.

I have no offspring to introduce to fishing but have helped either introduce or re-introduce a good number of adults and all i would say is that you need to be prepsred to compromise youe sesdions until they become more proficient and self sufficient, which if they are interested they will do quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Time of year as well when I was bout 6 my father would take me down Kings dock in Swansea in the summer and we would spin for mackerel etc, nice and warm lots of casting getting used to different rods and pulling in 3 mackerel at a time...

Great way to keep younger ones interested thats what I'm planning on this year with mine

• Like Like x 2
  13. sniggle

sniggle Member

A dip net and sticklebacks in a jar is a good start as soon as they can wield the net .

Then off a pier or harbour,a little rod out and crab net with bucket to keep ' em fascinated .

Build them up to the half pound monster fish gradually.;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

I have built up to heavy rods going to places normal people wouldn't I feel like I'm on the extreme side of the sport these days on the pursuit of fish I forget sometimes you can just buy a smaller rod and fish off a harbour

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nick Phillips

Fished the harbour at West Bay back in August, only had two bites lol so blanked.
    My lad likes it there as when we pack up just into dark we put the gear into the car and walk across to the chip shops by the harbour.

• Like Like x 2
  16. t0ny

t0ny Member

I'll be taking my grandson, 5 in April, to Alnmouth in the summer to fish for flatties. It'll be warm, and we're pretty much certain to catch a few, so hopefully he'll take to it.
    I started with my uncle Alf when I was 7

• Like Like x 3
  17. bracklesham boy

bracklesham boy Member

Worth considering the venue and how capable they are in water , accidents do happen.
    Luckily both mine were competent swimmers buy 4 as we live almost on the beach.
    Bait collecting can also be a fun activity for them , crabs , lug etc and also teaches them about food chains etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Forking lugs

Forking lugs Member

I can remember catching about 100 stickleback on the same small worm didn't even have to unhook them they just grab the worm and hang on, I thought I was an England international matchman
    I think its one off the most memorable experiences he will ever have in his life certainly was for me, and ishould imagine a proud moment for grandad when he catches his first fish good luck

• Like Like x 3
  19. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

No.8 is the preferred one for us.

Each child is different, and each location has its own challenges, so there is no diffinitive age to take a child. It's when you feel confident that you can take your eye off them for a couple seconds, and they will still be there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

From about the age of 4 my daughters would take turns coming out with me for 30 or so minutes then my wife would come and swap them over it was too much effort to keep an eye on all 3 at once.We used to go bait collecting as a family me with fork and bucket and them with plastic buckets and spades.They then progressed to walking ahead marking casts and dimples or razor holes and collecting cockles and hermits.They were probably 8 years old before they started catching little wrasse and Pollock. If they hadn't of enjoyed themselves I wouldn't of taken them.I like to think I gave them a good appreciation of nature and the enviroment

• Like Like x 7
  21. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Fantastic mate sounds like a great way to spend time with the family but also getting to do what you really want which is digging for bait ha ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor