1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

What is the best mono fishing line for multipliers

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Gooseisloose, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

I will be getting a new penn 525 mag for the new beach rod. What is the best line and strength of line.

Any recommendations

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. mikeyfelley

mikeyfelley Member
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Why mono ?

4. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

From reading reviews on braid on multipliers they all say it bites in on itself unless your using 80lb braid

5. doctor fish

doctor fish Member

Haven't got a 525 these days but on my multis for all round beach fishing I generally use ASSO lines. The Ultra and Ultra cast are on my 7ht mags and fixed spools and I've never had a problem. Our fishing is over clean sandy ground in the main so I can sneak lower diameters, from memory the Ultra cast in 14 lb is 0.30mm,they cast extremely well,have excellent knotting properties and wear very little . I've heard some slate them and say on crashing shingle beaches they fluff up but I think most lines do .

Suffix tritanium and Rovex have big followings so can't be bad lines at all, I'd say try as many as you can, if you're fairly new to multipliers then sticking to around 0.35/0.37mm lines will help you casting to start with, the weight gets off the spool quicker. The 525mag 2 isn't too frightening and is a fairly safely braked casting reel that's got good line capacity, the early 525 mags were a little less braked and could run up a good speed so took a bit more care with lighter lines.... Great reels though :)

You'll not go wrong with any of the above and I'm sure many others, just stick to sensible diameters that balance with the reel until you get confident :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Fishbuzzard

Fishbuzzard Member

Suffix tritanium! Comes off the spool nicely and if you do get a birdy its easy to sort out.Knots up good for your leader,and i also use it for my snoods!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OldSeaDog

OldSeaDog Member

Rovex10X fantastic quality and not too dear!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. zzippyguy

zzippyguy Member

Rovex & Suffix are the same, made in the same place just different packaging, in saying that I've been using asso hard skin 18ib seems pretty good so far

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nismo

Nismo Member

rovex 10x for me 0.35 19lb line and get a 2400 yard spool for around £13 bargain

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mick B

Mick B Member

It also worth a look at the Sakuma nite crystal as well. excellent casting line, good properties and knots well. The .35 is 19lb and the .31 is 14lb. Good line, definitely worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Another vote for rovex 10x...... really like it actually, seems tough and abrasion restistant and has a really good knot strength using the 19lb.

I think some of the worst line ive ever tried was 15lb daiwa tournament in bright yellow.
    Could wrap two or three turns around hands (with pair of gloves on), pull it and snap, would never waste my momey on it again, couldnt have any confidence in it

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fedstar

fedstar Member

I"ve been using Daiwa Tournament for 15/20 years on and off Kenny and can say without a shadow of a doubt, that it was a badly stored spool you got. Down to the supplier or tackle dealer that and not the line, Daiwa Tournament was one of the better lines back in the day,
    says made in Japan on the spool;) UKSF Standard at one time.

Mark...:alien:

Attached Files:

• dt.jpg
      dt.jpg
      File size:
      89 KB
      Views:
  13. sausage

sausage Member

To be honest with a pair of gloves on and three or four turns of line wouldn't you snap most lines at 15lbs

14. Tim

Tim Guest

As already mentioned, Rovex x10 .35(19lb) and Sakuma Nite Crystal .33(16lb), find them to be very reliable lines, for a very cheap reliable line (if you like to change line a lot) try the Shakespeare Beta in Red, it surprised me how good it was and how similar to the Berkeley blood red it was.

• Like Like x 1
  15. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Probably would with a good pull, yes.
    Should have said, not only did it break, it broke easily.

I dont doubt it is/was, but i couldnt have any confidence in it now, and am more than happy with the rovex line ive been using of late :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. fedstar

fedstar Member

[QUOTE="I dont doubt it is/was, but i couldnt have any confidence in it now, and am more than happy with the rovex line ive been using of late :)[/QUOTE]

The Rovex does get a lot of good reviews Kenny, and if it is re-branded Suffix ? then that is good news as well. You hit the nail on the head though, whatever products you have tried and tested in all conditions and are happy with, they are ones to stick with,
    some say "stuck in your ways"
    I say "tried and tested":ninja:or / stick with what ye know, thats not to say i will not try new products, but its a lot of
    "same sh1te, different wrapper":BigGrin: mostly:whistling:

Mark...:alien:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fedstar

fedstar Member

Aye Tim i do like Berkley Lines, Nite Crystal has had mixed reviews on this site.
    I bought a couple of 1000 metres of Nite Crystal, and the first 200/250 metres was just like Kenny experienced with the Diawa, breaking for no reason. But since the first fill, its been a smashing old line, for me anyhow. The Beta and XTC Berkley lines do seem similar now you mention it, but i find the XTC smoother, probably talking boolex, but hey! some bodies gotta:eek:

To Goose is Loose, buy a branded line like the Rovex, or a cheap hard wearing line is Diawa Sensor, give it a few trips to bed onto the spool. Lines are like most things in fishing, look for reliability, and after a while you will have a total personal preference for lines, coming from a angler of over four decades, most lines are up to the job.

Fedstar...:alien:

18. tournamag

tournamag Member

Hikaru for me supple lyes on the spool nicely casts great and cuts through tide great 300 yards £2.75 0.30mm is 22lb ish 35 is 28 is what's not to like? just have to knot carefully/gently only thing can be a B is if have over run can be a bit of a pig to sort but done carefully is ok

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. tournamag

tournamag Member

There's a few nice lines out now
    D sensor is reliable no frills works OK
    D tournament I'd never use again as once pulled for a break always breaks easily as prestretched line got to learn about long while back then had same thing happen
    Asso hardskins OK don't like being shingled too much as once shines worn off becomes more brittle
    Not tried there other ones yet.
    Nite crystals OK bit stretchy
    Wychwood do a purple line flouro type that's good comes under another name like quantum? can't remember name yellow labeled.

20. ba55man

ba55man Member

Tried most mono's only one stands out for me thats Berkley big game.can be on the thicker side but does the job

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Roryk11

Roryk11 Member

great stuff use 60lb for rigs 15lb for my reel

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor