1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

What is the best mono fishing line for multipliers

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Gooseisloose, Nov 13, 2016.

1. chukka

chukka Member

525mags cast better and are more controllable with .38-.40mm line start using 0.3-35 and the line level doesn't drop quick enough. Basically you will need more mag breaks and run the risk of an overrun. A smaller fathom 12, 515 or 6500 type reel will work better on the lighter lines.

Any modern line is strong it's the knots that make a difference, learn to tie a leader with a Bimini Hitch and lighter lines become surprisingly strong.

I rarely use mono nowadays but the big spools of rovex 10x look good value giving lots of fills.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. chukka

chukka Member

Berkeley big game and xts are stretchy but that's what makes them very strong.

4. crabhook

crabhook Member

I use multipliers for 95% of my fishing, I live in Fleetwood so its mud n sandy ground i fish over pretty much all of the time. Years ago I wouldn't use anything but Maxima but times and preferences change and now its the day-glow yellow Daiwa Tournament that fills all my reels. Leaders are also down to personal choice and I can't find anything that comes close to Grey Greased Weasel.

However, I spent about 5 years fishing exclusively for carp which made me look further afield. If you're not too arsed about diameters and want something that's as tough as it comes have a look at Korda Subline, I also stumbled across bright pink/red Ghost Line. It behaves almost like yellow Daiwa Tournament and at the time it was about a third of the price but it seemed to deteriorate quicker in salt water than the more expensive stuff does.

I think its more about having confidence it what you use and I know if I'm confident in what I'm doing I catch more fish..

• Like Like x 1
  5. griff_derry

griff_derry Member

ASSO have a tapered line now. 200 m of 15lb tapered to 20m of 60lb and it comes in jet black looks the business

6. Andy F

Andy F Member

Not been listed here, but my favourite after trial and error for a good number of years is Ultima F1. Expensive but i find it casts well and is tough. My fishing area is the Bristol Channel usually mixed to rough ground using 18lb or 20lb 0.37mm. I use the 18lb on a Mag 525 1st version but with high magnets. As mentioned above try using a bimini twist or spiders hitch great knot for leaders. Check youtube link tying spider hitch by Country Angler.

7. bigcyprinus

bigcyprinus Member 2016 Species Hunt
    15 Species

I use Rovex, Beta and Berkley blood red too. all great lines. I find it hard to tell the red berkley and red Beta apart, they're almost identical.

8. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Another vote for 10x been using it for 2 years now in 19 and 24lb, great stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Just bought a bulk spool from Amazon 19lb for total £12.59 posted. Great price, thanks for the tip and thumbs up. Cheers :)

10. Phil Arnott

Phil Arnott Member

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who uses Berkley Big Game.It's tough and reliable. I've been using it for well over twenty years and unless line technology changes significantly I'll carry on using it. I usually buy 1lb spools which hold 3600 yds of 15lb. I use 25lb and 60lb for standard shore rigs and leader. From my experience it's best to use an 80lb leader to allow for rubbing when tope fishing.

11. Forking lugs

Forking lugs Member

Ultima f1 has always been good line I think they stopped making it now but seen plenty of fleabay, also depends on ground you will be fishing I stick to 15 lb for rough ground and go down 12lb for soft ground and distance with a bullet tapered leader

12. bald dodge

bald dodge Member

Using 15 lbs for rough ground you're a braver man than me. I wont go lower than 18 for rough and often use 30

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Forking lugs

Forking lugs Member

When I say rough ground I mean as rough as it gets north Norfolk coast, if I was to be on the proper rough ground I would probably go upto 18 if I think it's needed, never really needed to go above that because like I say the coast I fish is pretty featureless and if it was to be so snaggy I'd use rotten bottom rig to avoid leaving a trail of line and rig on seabed, so it's really more upto the individual and how well they know their marks,, :thumbsup:

14. tournamag

tournamag Member

Korda Subline is like hawser there stats don't add up it's way far thicker than stated probably why called "sub" as sinks like a stone! Plonk

Daiwa tournament was/is UKSF rated line yes but that's for diameter as needs to be consistent for casting rating or:gtfo: the field
    But fishing wise it's pants it's pre stretched line once pulled for a break it's then weaker for a long way along length as any give is taken out of it so snaps at low rate of pull ive used it for long time in various B/S's from 15 to 30lb gave spools ofi t away after it snapping far too easily after a break
    But casting and fishing are to separate things in essence as casting they don't have to worry about reeling anything back in where as Angling we need some casting but the main part is getting any and everything back in or a waste of time fishing if line breaks or reel won't reel anything in

• Like Like x 3
  15. Phil Arnott

Phil Arnott Member

I agree there's "snaggy" and "rough". I use a 25lb rotten bottom when fishing the Yorkshire rock marks. Main line and snoods are 35lb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. crabhook

crabhook Member

I take on board what you're saying about Daiwa Tournament and the points you make about it but I've never had an issue with the stuff when reeling in everything from bare hooks to massive balls of weed in heavy seas and I've definitely never lost a fish because of it.. I agree it was developed for the casting field but isn't that where the huge majority of the tackle we use today evolved from?

If there was a single rod, reel, line, trace etc etc that suited everyone across the board its inventor would earn a lot of money and personal preference would become obsolete wouldn't it? So i'll stick with Daiwa Tournament because i trust it and I find it predictable when i cast and retrieve with it. If you ever find yourself in possession of any more of it you don't want i'll happily pay the postage so you can send it all to me.

I fish with a 6500 C3CT and a 7HT, in my humble opinion the Abu is the better reel by miles. I'll bet some may think the 6500 is ****e...Personal choice?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 at 12:16 AM
  17. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor