1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

What paint?

Discussion in 'Lure DIY: Home Made Lures & Lure Fishing Tackle' started by Steve Tr, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

I've got myself some blank wee pea lures. The question is, do I leave them unpainted, or give them some colour?

If I paint them, what paint should I use? I have a large collection of model paints from GW, Humbrol and various wargaming companies. I also have several nail varnish for my fly tying, but worry they may melt the plastic.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

They look like the old 'snap beans'..........mostly used in bright red.

4. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

They probably are copies. Got them from lure factors. They do the larger sizes painted, but don't sell paint, so can't see what type to use. Guess I'll have to try one for each paint type I have, and see if any melt the plastic, or comes off with first use.

5. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Very good for Perch and trout

6. sawnee

sawnee Member

I don't think you will melt the plastic, even true cellulose paint wouldn't do any damage and that's about as spiteful as it comes.
    A quick rub over with a scotchbrite and a bit of 400grit wet and dry for any edges.
    Wipe them over with meths and get painting ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. hennie

hennie Member

createx paints are good for lures in general ,.
    the humboll stuff tends to fade after a wile,..
    but are ok if you are going to hand paint them..finn of with lacquer [spray tin]

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor