1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Where am I going wrong?

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by Prawnking, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Prawnking

Prawnking Member

Hi fellow fishermen just wanted to ask why I ain't catching much I was at hayland island for 10 hours Saturday with 2 mates they caught smooth hounds and a couple of bass.
    But I didn't and I wasnt doing anything different to them. Is it just luck? I'm new to fishing and loving it. But getting a bit frustrated. Any tips or advice would go along way. Cheers prawnking

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. neptunes

neptunes Member

How far apart were you fishing from each other pk.
    Sometimes it can come down to distance of cast, rig selection and bait.
    But you as you've said, you were doing everything the same.

Apart from bad luck, I can only think you were not getting in the feeding zone, whether it be a gulley, drop off etc.
    Some times it can be a matter of feet/yards from hitting the mark.

Cheers Willie

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Prawnking

Prawnking Member

Hi willie we were fishing quite close to each other. Was using a two hook flapper rig with different bait rag worm seemed the best got a few big bites but nothing in the end. We used mackerel and squid but never seem to catch anything on them. But I'm not going to give up.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Shane the fish

Shane the fish Member

If you were in the middle or end your mate might have just been getting them first. try moving next time ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

If your not catching or missing bites try scaling down in hook size. What size hook were u using? The key to fishing is fresh bait and good bait presentation. Make sure the bait matches the hook size, don't cover the hook point with your bait. Make sure ur rigs have bait stops above the hook as you don't want ur bait sliding up the snood during the cast and sitting away from ur hook. If u r using worm and ur hooks come back empty try tipping with a sliver of squid that will help keep the worm on the hook a little longer and add some scent and visual attraction. Don't go massive on baits I know some people say that they use a triple sandeel and double squid cocktails etc but half a sandeel will suffice lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Prawnking

Prawnking Member

Hi fishing with 1/0 hook got bait stops on my rigs. Why not cover the hook point? Thanks for advice it's all helping me.

8. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

The point of the hook is the most important part as this will penetrate the mouth of the fish if the bait is covering the point then it could spook the fish before it gets a chance to hook itself u need the point showing and some of the gape of the hook showing to maximise hook ups. a point that clearly stands out from a bait can pierce the mouth of a fish and provide solid contact to reel the fish in. A point that is masked, obscured or buried within a bait will not. Many anglers create massive cocktail baits with the hook point hidden somewhere inside, seriously reducing the chances of successfully hooking a fish that takes the bait. 1/0 hooks should be fine mate if u need to u can go down to a 2 or even a 4

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

If u fancy it mate I'm holding a fishing meet this month on the 28th in Bognor Regis its nothing serious, not a competition just a friendly meet with people coming ranging from beginner to expert got 22 people coming so far will be a great laugh hopefully some fish and perfect opportunity to meet some new people and pick up some tips and advice face to face. If u r interested let me know mate :) there will be a meet every month, next month is chesil :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. 60605

60605 Guest

Didnt know about the Chesil meet! where abouts exactly?

11. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

I think ferrybridge mate there is a thread in the south coast section mate ill tag u in it :)

12. 60605

60605 Guest

Fair enough, I reckon a lot of you Sussex lads will take one look at the bank you have to climb first then clear off back home! lol :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. SocialFisher

SocialFisher

Try fishing at Beachy Head mate, reckon you can climb the 150ft? Ferrybridge:-:p a doddle for us Sussex lads

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Shane the fish

Shane the fish Member

Are you shore u don't cast from the top and then say that's a good 200 yard cast:p:p

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. 60605

60605 Guest

Let me know when your due to arrive, I'll be sat at the top watching to see how many times you have to stop! :D

16. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

How far is the walk then mate?

17. SocialFisher

SocialFisher

Haven't got a visa to go there :(:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. SocialFisher

SocialFisher

No mate I walk down, careful of the tide though only go on the ebb and when it starts to flood time to walk back up.

19. 60605

60605 Guest

It's not the distance, it's what your walking on, it's easier if when you reach the end of the causway to bare right to the area of vegetation and walk up that, a bit firmer, otherwise if you go straight up you WILL be choking on your lungs by the time your halfway up..;)
    Not forgetting if your fishing a low you will have the same problem getting back off the beach from the other side!

20. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Haha ill remember that next month lol u going to come then pal?

21. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Is it this u have to walk over? C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor