Where can I buy a 2 piece shakespeare tiger popping rod in UK?

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by letsgo, Apr 15, 2012.

1. letsgo

letsgo Member

I have had a couple of snaps while fishing with Dinesky. He uses a tiger but i cannot find any on line in UK. What I want is a 8foot heavy duty plugging rod for off the shore in Cuba. It must be 2 piece and cast up to 150 grams. Light weight but stiff action. Any advise?

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. Dabler

Dabler Member

Mmmm shakespeare. If you looking for the best possible 2 piece for Cuba go for the Daiwa Tournament Global. It’s great for chucking lures for miles and is a dream to use, and it doesn’t cost the earth. It’s used by many top anglers on here. Do a search....
  3. baino

baino Member

It's expensive in comparison to the Ugly Stik Tiger Dabbler, which was only about £40ish. I had a tiger boat rod which I left with Duny a while ago. The one he's got has landed hundreds of fish paired with his Cabo reel. Those Ugly Stiks are bulletproof.
  4. Oldnipper

Oldnipper Member

Try asking Mark Harding at Alderney angling he may be able to get one in for you

Mike
  5. corrado

corrado Member

I've got one of the ugly stik tigers....I had to import it from the states. I think I got it from cabaleas....I tried all the major Shakespeare dealers and none really had a clue what rod I was on about.

The rod, me thinks is for the american market only, where the tiger gets rave reviews at circa $57. I've yet to use mine as I recently purchased a fox tarpon travel rod which is about double the price of an imported tiger however with the fox rod easily fitting in a suitcase, it is the rod choice for foreign excursions for me....the fox and the tiger are very similar spec'd rods in terms of function however I think the ugly stik would win the durability test due to the no nonsense construction. The quality of the fittings on the tiger are excellent

The tiger was circa £90 imported after all the fees were paid:thumbdown if you find a cheaper way to get hold of one please let me know as I wouldn't mind a back~up for the back up.
  6. Dabler

Dabler Member

Agree they are priced well. I had hands on a Tiger about 3 years ago in the Bass Pro Shop in Orlando. It had a line rating of 30 – 50 lbs which was the big draw for me and to be honest I would have bought it even tho the finish was a little rough (from memory it was priced around the 40 – 50 bucks), but it was only available as a one piece. I did try to find out if they done a 2 piece but never got a conclusive answer.
    The reason I am a fan of the Daiwa is I have seen it haul a 350lbs Bull shark from around 400 feet right to the side of the boat (Dunny’s Boat). On the other end of the rod was Marktheshark and in my eagerness to assist I grabbed the leader to claim a caught fish (and technically Sharky – IT WAS A CAUGHT FISH)…………………………..
    Anyway, I spooked it and of it went again taking half the line on the spool. Dunny and me thought this was hilarious and were rolling about the boat laughing our heads of (sorry Sharky but you should have seen the look of horror on your face as the line disappeared of the spool) well, cut a long story short on the second attempt to get the shark in the tip of the rod broke. Regardless, the rod had been taken well over its design limits and under the circumstances it impressed us all, and to top that I told the story to Daiwa and the sent me a new top half FOC.
    I know they are kinda pricey but I take mine everywhere and I just love the action when chucking big poppers. I’m planning a trip to catch my first GT later this year (or early next) and it’s the Daiwa I’ll be taking.
    Brian
    PS I’m almost certain that Marktheshark bought one earlier this year as well
  7. letsgo

letsgo Member

Thank guys, I'll have a look at the Diawa first before trying to ship a tiger. Most US stores cant be bothered sending one over as it is too much trouble for such a small order.

I had a beautiful feeling shimano last time I went but the end eye chipped the first outing, lucky enough I had a replacement, then Dunny snapped it on a tuna. Great laugh.

I did however end up catching a 138lb wahoo on a travel rod which cracked half way through the battle. We couldn't work out how it didn't snap. Great fishing there.

Nick
  8. marktheshark

marktheshark Member

Hmmmmm ... I think the Dabler forgets the other side of the story; that while the Daiwa TG makes a brilliant boat rod with the top 1.5ft snapped off, the Ugly Stik Tiger only does half the job. As Earl of this forum will tell you, the Tiger has been known to split at the tip when fighting large-ish tuna, thereby requiring a helpful passerby (that would be the Dabler) to finish off the job by hand, so to speak. So, you pays your money, you ends up with a broken rod ...
    The Daiwa is a superb piece, large sharks notwithstanding, but at 9ft 4in a touch long for boating; in all truth it's a very heavy plugging/spinning rod. It's only becos Duniesky's a sadist and loves the sound of breaking (fibre)glass that we were using it.
    I think I have discovered a contender for the ultimate all-round Guillermo rod, but I need to road-test it before I name it as it's very expensive and I wouldn't like to end up with a RED face ...
  9. Dabler

Dabler Member

Hi Buddy, I think I might have bought one. Didn’t get a chance to use it properly last month in the Keys, but I was using it on one of those occasions when I got spooled that I mentioned, and I had the Stella fitted. Checked the drag the next morning with the scales and got a reading of 32Lbs and the rod handled that situation without even flinching!!! Lost about 400 yards of expensive braid tho
  10. Earl

Earl Member

C'mon guy's. Give me a break. What were the odd's I'd hook probably the one tuna in the entire Sea of Cortez that hadn't heard that a Tiger Stik was suppose to be indestuctible. He was still mighty tasty tho, wasn't he guy's?
  11. daikent

daikent Member

If anyone does ever manage to find any Ugly Stk Tiger Lite Rods....make sure you check the Spec and are getting what you think you are!!

There are Ugly Stik Lite Rods; Ugly Stik Tiger Rods; Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Rods; Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Spinning (or Casting!) Rods and then there's the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rods!

e.g.

Code BWSL 2200 66 is a 1-piece Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Spinning Rod, 6ft 6ins, 12 - 30 lb line, 3/4oz - 4oz lures retailing US$65

but Code BWSJL 2200 66 is a 1-piece Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod, 6ft 6ins, 50 - 100lb line, 4-7ozs lures/jigs retailing US$70.

Quite a difference!

I'm pretty sure Duni uses the 130lb line shorter "Jigging" version:

BWCJL 2200 510 which is a 1-piece Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod, 5ft 10ins, 80 - 130lb line, 6 - 10oz jigs, again retailing US$70.

For info: Shakespeare also do a monster in the same range (still at US$70):

BWCJCL 2200 58 which is a 1-piece Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging ("Casting") Rod, 5ft 8ins, 100 - 200lb line, 8 - 14oz jigs.

Make sure you get it right!
  12. Richard S

Richard S Member

Not really what you should be using your Daiwa for !!!!

But they are one hell of a rod , ive got some that have survived in client tackle packs in Guinea for over 4 seasons , and considering the amount and quality of the fish they are fighting and the fact that they are doing it for 7 months a year in the hands of inexperienced anglers thats pretty damn good .

I,d never go back to anything else . Even use one myself !!!

Funnily enough Daiwa have stopped giving me top sections FOC !!!

Richard
  13. AlderneyBassman

AlderneyBassman Member

Mmmmmmmmm....................Tenryu?
  14. letsgo

letsgo Member

Mmmmmmmmm....................Tenry

That would be my guess. Dunesky would love to snap one of them when he hears how expensive they are.

I think the Diawa is too long for both boat and shore. Does any one know where to get the 7 ft tiger popping rod? All stores I have tried in US have refused to send one.
  15. marktheshark

marktheshark Member

Mmmmmmm ... warm. In fact, red-hot. I was seduced by the literature in the Tenryu catalogue. Anything in French that comes in scions and talons, rather than tips and butts, is worth an insane amount of birthday money in my livre. When, and if, it roars, I'll let you know ... and I know Duni will try to wreck it. It'll be fun trying! Who knows, it might even hold a 300lb moose.

Eh, Brian!
  16. Dabler

Dabler Member

I don’t think even I have anything in my fishing arsenal that would hold a 300 lbs Canadian Moose at full gallop and I don’t think the Cuban Custom’s will let me in with my Beretta!!!

Hey Earl, what’s your weapon of choice for Cuba this year? Did you ever make any headway on sourcing that fox you were talking about?
  17. Dabler

Dabler Member

Totally agree, I’ll stick with the Trevala next time, it’s an awesome wee rod.
  18. Earl

Earl Member

Yes indeed, I did. Got a lovely pair of Fox Treks, but you know me. They're both conventional rods. For spinning I picked up a Hopper rod. Very inexpensive, but supposed to be a stout rod for jigging. We'll see
  19. Richard S

Richard S Member

But I hooked a bullock on a 6wt fly rod once . Pretty unequal battle really , had it flat on its back in 10 mins !!!

catch and release of course , my priest just wasnt big enough to dispatch it cleanly.

No not really but those lifetime warranties dont half come in handy !!!

R
  20. Norm B

Norm B Member

:sun: They probably saw how Robson Green treated your rods on Extreme Fishing, he'd break anything fishing like that. Funnily enough, when the baggage handlers between GB and LGW managed to break the tip of mine, even though it was in a Bazooka case, and lose it for 4 days so I couldn't claim off the airline, Daiwa sent me a new tip at trade, which has to be better than full price, not as good as FOC though. :fishing: