1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Why Cod?

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Shirleycodlin, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

What is it that drags some anglers out of the wood work at the mention of this fish?

I mean, lets be honest, its fight is an acquired taste, more brute force and doggedness than say the fast run's of a Bass.
    Most of the time, you will be fishing unsociable hours in unsociable weather.
    The gear used is, well lets say, a little heavy? The venues and weather normally fished for them hardly lend themselves to the light approach, do they?

So what is it? What is the appeal?
    Its not often (not including the feather chuckers) that you see beaches rammed solid. Its not often that you find bait in short supply. Till the Cod arrive. Why?

I know why I go, but what about the rest of you?
    Come on, lets wax lyrical about the Noble Cod and have some coddie pictures :)

alexs pictures 173.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 5
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Poseidon.

Poseidon. Previously sharkbait-oooo-ha-ha

definitely a "je ne sais quoi" quality about them, im hooked on fishing for them. went out last night got rewarded with a 7lb 11oz beauty and a smaller 4lb ish

• Like Like x 4
  4. sinking man

sinking man Member

do like my ray fishing and my summer fishing,but give me a slack line in the winter on the banks of the thames and its a good bet its a cod,have lost all my pictures so cant upload any have yet to have a good cod from the ness yet but will have a crack this season,nice picture there shirleycodlin bit of luck you do it again this season.The appeal is to me they can be big and very tasty also in my case i had two do a lot of hours to no how a mark would fish eg tide size,tide time,bait weather but the last bit luck has got to be on your side so when all these things come together and you beach a nice cod well your face in that picture says it

5. DaiwaSeahunter

DaiwaSeahunter Member

Never caught Cod, but would love to, purely for the table with chips :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sinking man

sinking man Member

bit of luck m8 you will this season

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaiwaSeahunter

DaiwaSeahunter Member

Absolutely hooked on lure fishing for bass. But will hopefully get the beachcasters out at some point this winter :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. piker20

piker20 Member

Ive only had one which was a small red cod but its the chance of something weighty on the line that will see me hitting the rough ground this winter. Hopefully the same baits will still attract conger or other better sized specimens of other species if they are out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chukka

chukka Member

I can catch them all year round and tbh I find them quite tedious after a long winter and yearn for other species come spring.
    I think it's the cod bite that gets you going in the winter, be it a slackliner or lunge that keeps going down, the thought of a match winner. A good cod bite on braid is an experience to behold, nearly pulling your rod out of your hands. I think it helps that you never quite know what size the fish is it can be, 2lb or 22lb. The fact that you can get a proper mans meal helps. That distinctive cod **** smell in your fish bag is great too
    Cod are also a species that rewards the more skilled angler. You often need to fish at range, manage tide and sea conditions and use prime bait. The chuck it and chance it brigade are rarely rewarded with a lot of success but cod aren't always fussy and put the time in during the right conditions or in darkness and anybody can bag a couple. It gets you out for some well needed fresh air when you could be tucked up in front of the fire, it must be the natural hunting instinct!

• Like Like x 5
  10. peewit

peewit Member

cod are special. spent many years off the shingle beaches of suffolk weekends on orfordness, care of Ralph Brinkley (is he still going), the sound of the receeding wave through the shingle and the hiss of the tilleys stay with you, oh yeh even caught a few codling :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

Always the table fish that are popular, eat them or not,
    Bass over mullet
    Plaice over flounder
    Cod over huss.
    Its the hunter gatherer instinc.
    Crap dark weather just adds to it always a chance of a bigger fish, something primal about clinging frozen to a rock dead of winter.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

We'll I'm stuck in hospital just as the cods turning up,I know where I want to stick my rod right up the docs a....

• Like Like x 4
  13. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Hope ur ok mate?

• Like Like x 2
  14. p4ddy

p4ddy Member

Ah yes, the hiss of the tilly. That's why I really want my north star to bloody work properly. That hiss is more than just providing some bass camp light, its very much a nostalgia thing for me too. Sorry squewed OT there.

I'm not bothered about cod myself. If distance casting is the key then I've no hope anyway. Id still catch and release too regardless of enjoying cod as its just a feel good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Dont know really... first started winter beach fishing about 30 years ago,I didnt have any mates who fished beaches then, so they were always solo trips, in those days it was nothing special to take home anything up to half dozen up to about 6 or 7 pounds after a single night session.
    I used to book a weeks holiday either in December or January, dependant on tides, every winter for about ten years . Always on the Holderness Coast, for the first few years I camped solo on the cliff tops to be near the beaches, dug/collected my own bait, fished the best tides, covering the whole coast from Spurn to Hornsea, a distance of about 30 miles, I had a network of local residents all who would keep my fish in their freezers, for collection when I returned home , they were happy to do so for a few cod fresh from the beaches for a fish supper. My mates and my wife thought I was bonkers, minus 6 degrees, tent solid with ice, cooking on camping stoves, sleeping in double sleeping bags with a duvet as well, just to stop me freezing , condensation dripping on me waking me up.I was once woken up about ten am one morning ,after a night on the beach .It had snowed, and there was about a couple of inches of snow on the ground, A pack of hounds from the local hunt had raised a fox that had been chased to where I was camping, there were riders all around me, dogs everywhere, and me in my shreddies stood talking to the whipper in, sort of demanding he get his hounds of , and out of my tent . If I had not been so cold, tired and angry I should have seen the funny side of it, that was at Cowden, on the Yorkshire coast south of Hornsea. Another thing that woke me was the A10 Tankbuster aircraft low flying over the tent and straffing the targets out at sea just behind me.
    I must have been bonkers !!!!!
    I graduated from Camping , when I bought an ex post office van to sleep in the back of, then I went upmarket and bought a Caravan, towed it with the family car, luxury !
    Domestic circumstances changed and I started to take my wife fishing with me, the camping /caravaning stopped, but I had more overnight trips to the winter beaches, still taking home decent amounts of fish, then over the years some mates started to come with me, my wife developed ME and couldnt physically make the trips any more.. but I still managed a couple of beach trips a month, time passed age creeps up, but even now at 63 I still love the coast, the beach, the sea on winters nights.I still like the anticipation when I park the car, and the yomp maybe a half mile or more to my chosen mark, down slippy muddy cliffs, or clambering over rocks, always carrying more gear than I could ever possibly need, and hoping that maybe this time I can break my PB on a beach caught cod of over ten pounds in weight.
    The coast is over 100 miles from my home, I must have spent a shedload on fuel over the years, isit worth it.. of course it is, better than sitting, getting old and fat watching TV.

The common denominator in all this is ..Winter beach fishing for Cod..maybe I am not as successful now as I used to be, but then I put that down to depleted fish stocks, and not always being able to get to the beach on good tides due to other matters. I can still hold my own on the beaches, and land as many cod as anybody else does on the day.
    I dont have a lot of beach photos, mainly because I go a lot by myself, but here are a couple, one from many years ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

SWMBO was no slouch either on the beaches when after cod , old photo, sorry for poor quality.

I still dont know why "Cod" though, I should add that I also keep the faith with my course fishing for Barbel as well, so maybe, just maybe I am spoilt ....

Onward and upwards as they say ..

Dave

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 20
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 9
  16. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg

That's why!!!

• Like Like x 5
  17. barnacle

barnacle Member

I used to fish the Suffolk coastline years ago, that's were I first learned to fish and cast. Cod fishing was the pinnacle of the year. Planning a trip, picking up the bait from breakaway tackle, chatting and listening to other anglers all built up the excitement. Getting to the beach, finding a spot then putting your brolly up, lamp lit, kit set out. A pair of Zziplex Quattras's, abu 6500 ct's brought into action. It cant be beaten. John Darling and John Holden's articles all still fresh in your mind...photos in the mags of Neil McKellow and Paul Kerry with loads of cod on the beach
    I don't have the words, but Cod fishing for me is the reason I fish. I have been lucky to catch a 15lb'er, that night at Aldeburgh is as vivid today as it ever was.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  18. peewit

peewit Member

apologies to the youngsters out there, 11lb for me caught on a glass conoflex blank, supplied by Going Brothers southend, 6500 with level line, caught at East Lane with lug from the hard ware/ angling shop woodbridge, jeez i was cutting edge, I could go back a lot longer to my 9ft pier rod but i dont want to get the thread closed :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. fisherider

fisherider Member

don't no why but they do it for me love eating em fishing stupid hours had my lump for Aldeburgh as above like yesterday never forget that

• Like Like x 2
  20. chukka

chukka Member

• Like Like x 8
  21. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Member

For me, it's a whole package thing. You can keep your summer months - I'm more of an autumn/winter guy. Why? It all starts with my grandfather and our fishing trips (about which I've written extensively).

I can still remember my very first night session in the winter: the bug had bitten hard and my father had taken pity and allowed the eleven year old me to have my Christmas presents a month early - a Shakespeare 12ft composite beachcaster, Alpha reel and a Coleman powerhouse.

My grandfather and I fished through the night with only the hiss of the Coleman and the slight slop of the sea as the tide rolled lazily up the rocks of the breakwater as a soundscape. I even remember how I spent the night glugging down lukewarm coffee (only my grandfather allowed me to sneakily drink it at that age) and feeling like a man - a fisherman!

Whiting, pouting, dogfish; they all fell to our baits, and even now I can recall my thinking that this was all I ever wanted to spend my time doing, in this exact place, in this exact company.

Then, from the darkness, someone shouted "Cod!" We ran through the blackness to the breakwater's end to see a guy, bang in the centre of his lantern's nimbus of light, cradling a three pound codling. They were less common from my local back then, and I looked down at it like something mythical, something conjured out of the shadows. I wanted one.

Sadly, time has moved on. My grandfather's a few years gone now, and I still miss him and our sessions together. I also spend far less time fishing than I would like - a career and family of my own see to that. But I still recall that night though, and that cod in particular and, although I've caught many since, they've never lost the magic of that first winter session in the dark.

• Like Like x 10
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 8
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor