1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Why Cod?

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Shirleycodlin, Oct 1, 2016.

1. sinking man

sinking man Member

what a great read can really relate to what you have said

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. fisherider

fisherider Member

no iknow what it is they eat dam tings

• Like Like x 1
  4. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

The effort, money and time put in to chase the ultimate Cod catch. This is the exciting bit, an adventure, the anticipation.
    This was 25 years back.
    Took my girlfriend on a train from London to Felixtowe, then a bus to Walton on Naze, and a Taxi to Frinton on Sea carrying 2 beachcasters,tripod and a backpack each, and checked into a B&B. Spent the evening on the wall trying to catch a cod in the freezing cold wind, my girlfriend has to wrap black bin bags around herself to keep warm. Poor thing.
    And right behind us across the golf course, people were all dressed up, drinking and dancing away in the Frinton Golf Clubhouse to welcome the New Year !!!
    Yeah,Happy New Year, with just a handful of whiting to dump back.
    Most women would have dumped me, but .... we are still together..... happily married, and still goes fishing with me ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. flappyfish

flappyfish Member

never caught one...but it was the same for the carp for me..the anticipation..the planning..sussing out the marks....making the rigs..making the bait..adjusting the rigs as bites were missed..out for a week at a time..camping in all weathers..snow and ice..wind and rain..sun and glare..had them to over 30 lb..a prize results at last....really miss fishing for them nowadays..as left the south of England...didn't think there were other fish to compare with them..I might try for the cod for the first time this winter.

6. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

Cod fishing is correct....its not bass fishing enough of a reason for me,

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Stupidluke

Stupidluke

I caught one once and whilst I was unhooking it I dropped my watch down its throat. Every year since still trying to get my watch back.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips PLASTIC FANTASTIC The hard plastic and rubber guy Deputy Administrator Lure Fishing Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

I think people go Cod fishing through the winter to keep them busy until the real fishing starts in the Spring with the Bass :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Come on Nick, you know it makes sense..... a nice cocktail bait, quorn luworm and quorn peeler nicely whipped on a 6/0 pennel with a quorn squid wrap to keep the crabs at bay ....

Who needs expensive lures when a great bait like that is available...:rofl:

Dave

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Reedythepirate

Reedythepirate Member

Started fishing with my dad when I was six. He knew nothing about fishing really, he'd done a little on a boat out of Beer. In reality it took us three years to catch out first whiting! In perspective that was about a dozen trips. Sure I went home disappointed, but always mad keen to try again. The excitement we shared when we got our first bite, we saw the knock knock of a whiting and looked at each with an amazing grin!! Alas together catching a Cod was something we never achieved.
    Now he's not around I'd have those days back in a split second. I'd wait 3 more years to catch another 'Ting'. Such fond memory's.
    So new Cod season..maybe just maybe this year?!
    Now 40, I think I've had 4 or 5 from the beach nothing big say about 5lb and a few from the boat.
    I'll be fishing the Bristol Channel marks again this winter. In the hope that this year, maybe it might just be my (or our) time.
    The wife is sat beside me now perfecting the sympathy look!!!!
    I'll be out at the weekend and next week.
    In short though for me it's the childhood memories, the anticipation, the dream of a double, watching the sun rise over the channel on a cold frosty morning with a coffee in my hand. I've a fish to catch..

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Obansharker

Obansharker Member

I think it depends on nostalgia of fishing trips gone by with family members, where you grew up and the reading on sea angling magazines where cod fishing in the winter are the big thing.

I live in Oban and the Firth of Lorn is a massive nursery area for fish like cod, plaice, coalfish/saithe etc. so you don't get many big ones from the shore except the occasional fish to around 6lbs from nearby Loch Etive (my biggest is about 2 1/2lbs) the boat fishing for such species isn't much better, my dad was too drunk to take me fishing but I would go myself or with my brother and friends and while I'm happy catching anything (should have seen my joy at catching a connemara clingfish!!) it was all about sharks for me the Firth is home to the predators of young white fish, skate, thornback and cuckoo rays, doggies, huss and spurdog so that's what I grew up wanting to catch - unlike an angler growing up in Bristol Channel, Thames area or off Scotland's east coast where there dads or grandads etc. took them fishing or hearing tales from anglers about the monster cod they caught way back when, while sitting at the pier catching poor cod, sea scorpions etc. I'd listen to folks talk about events like the "big bitches (I'm not swearing here bitch as in female dog!!)" where massive packs of large spurdog would hem joeys up against the pier walls in Oban and turn the sea red with fins cutting through water! Hooking my first spurdog a fish of 10lbs 3oz was an experience I'll never forget - as for seeing those slackliners or big pulls spur bites are quite similar although the pulls are more frequent and jagged and when a skate decides to take your rods and tripod for a swim you'll know all about it - lost two fish recently with both taking 70 - 80yds yards of line in seconds.

Despite not being a 'cod man', great thread! Loved reading everyones thoughts on this

Tight Lines

Jonny

• Like Like x 6
  12. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

I have always wondered what it was like to hook and land a cod on the shore.

After all the fishing books and magazines I have read when I was a kid growing up in Malaysia;
    all the TV shows, fishing videos, and more books and magazines when I settled down in London in the 90's; all the tales and photos from sea angling forum members;
    all the stories from tackle shop owners and angler's I had the pleasure of meeting and fished with on the shores of Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk on countless trips, and even Guernsey in the Channel Islands where I lived for a couple of years last century.

The funny thing is that, I have not once witnessed a Cod caught and landed on a beach !!!
    Well, never mind hooking into one and landing it myself.

In fact, I have never seen a real life Cod ever before !!!
    Well, I'm a chef, and they always come in as fillets, don't they ?

So, where is the Cod that I have read and heard so much about ???

I have of course amassed quite an arsenal of fishing and camping equipment by then; an original beach buddy with a Coleman Powerhouse lantern, and stove, and a whistling kettle for hot coffee to keep me awake during those cold winter nights on a deserted beach, a pair of well-tuned Abu CT magelites, and even an original Conoflex Nemesis Plus patiently rebuilt by the well-reknown Richard Holdgate of Metalite in Walton-on-Thames right before the last month of the last century.

So now, where is the Cod ?
    I have always dreamt of being able to cast into the horizon while armed with a big rod and multiplier.
    So in 1996, I called up the office helpline of Sea Angler Magazine to locate a casting instructor. Well, there was one about 3o mins away down the M2. So, I got my first lesson in casting in a field from the late Terry Wild. A month later, he gave me another lesson in beach casting and fishing on Fisherman's Beach in Hythe.
    Wow ! Those lessons were a real serious eye opener, an honour and privilege to witness the capabilities of a skilled tournament caster !!! I was then convinced that I had to be serious in building up my casting skills so that I can get my bait out into Cod territory.

Ah ! So, the Cod are out there ! Out beyond the casting distances of the majority of shore anglers ! hmmmmm......

Ah ! Was that what I read about ? A certain Leslie Moncrieff, the legend of Dungeness, and the accounts of hugh scores of lunker Cod hauled up on to the beach from the 'Dustbin' because he was the one who could cast that far !
    Hmmm ? It that why I have not seen a real live Cod on a beach, huh ?
    So,.... now what ?
    I decided to join in on casting days in East Kent Tournament Casters, Sutton Valence to learn how to throw a lead. Mo Hanburger kindly worked out the aerialised style of pendulum casting with me, as it suits me more than the popular high pendulum as I am slight of build. Took me years before I could get it to fly in the general direction that I intended it to, and generally with a certain degree of intensity. Timing and balance !

It is a pretty difficult thing to learn the golf swing. Things like muscle memory, stance, grip, swing path, lag and club head speed ?
    So, if I can tee off pretty well with a driver, I can pretty darn well learn to cast as well too ? Inspiration !!!

It was only a few years ago that I finally saw a live cod hooked and landed on a beach. And guess what ? It was me.

Mission Accomplished !!!

Well, actually it was only a codling, and only just about over 2 lbs. But it is cod, isn't it ? And it was alive.

Sad to say that due to work and family obligations I have to leave my rods in the cupboard for the next 3 years after that. But I am happy to say that I have since taken my rods out of the cupboard, and have recently chalked up 2 trips to the sea-side to brush off the cobwebs.

" Well, now I can say I am definitely ready to start pulling out a proper Cod this season ! "

... and that is what I have been saying every October of every single year ever since I first landed in Heathrow in the 80's ....... that's fishing ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 5
  13. get well soon mate, hope you don't miss out on the winter fishing.
    cheers rab

• Like Like x 2
  14. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

cod anglers come from a good working class family and do a proper job....lure anglers..own a cute shop in Brighton and live with civil partner josh...lol

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  15. because its easier to get your hand in to get the hooks out :BigGrin:
    DSCF4888.JPG
    cheers rab

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Could get your fckin head in that lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tamarisk64

tamarisk64 Member

From a teenager ive caught many hundreds over the years, living close to the Bristol channel. Though ive had only 1 over 10lb from the shore, ive had 3 or 4 over 10lb from the boat but my biggest is only 14 1/2 lb , its the thought that one day I will hit the magic 20lb that's what spurs me on. I know plenty who still dream of getting a 10lb plus. Mark

• Like Like x 2
  18. cehaigrek

cehaigrek Member

Like above 20lbs+ or 10kgs+ from the UK's beach is my target.

• Like Like x 1
  19. the beauty of cod fishing is you really never know what size th next fish is going to be. the biggies may have been few and far between the last 15 years but there is always the chance that next slack line could have a proper lump on the end of it. coupled with being out on pitch black nights in the winter, usually in rough seas up here, with no one else around it is perfect bliss to me.

as soon as the clocks go back its like a switch flicking and the next 4 months is all about the cod for me. weather and tide tabs are up on screen permanently and the next trip is usually being planned on the way home from the last one.
    like shirley if i was only allowed to fish for one species the rest of my days it would be cod in winter time.
    cheers rab

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. john elliot

john elliot Member

Iv caught a few cod but nothing that big , in fact my missus caught a 9.5 lb cod on a single lug whilst fishing for sole , a size 4 match hook , it was magnificent , beautiful markings , she said that she had a big bite so I left my gear to look for any further interest in her rod, nothing / zilch . "oh well , whatever it was I said is probably gone , just reel in " , Neither of us could see the line laying on the sand in the pitch black lol ,,, reeling in the slack she cried out again "iv got summat I think ?" ,,,I think ? feking gert cod ! REEL ! REEL !

• Like Like x 3
  21. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

379.jpg 379.jpg 389.jpg 379.jpg 389.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor