1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Why Cod?

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Shirleycodlin, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

^^ Cradle the Cod, because it means so much. Like it.^^

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Wabby

Wabby Member

Nothing can compare to a cold, frosty night, into the early hours, with tilly lamp singing a song, rods moving slowly in the epic tide pull and then the inevitable ..... tap tap ... SLACK ...... SHIIIIIITTTTTT .... FISH ON.

Gets me everytime :D

They also taste surprisingly nice with Chips ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

What about the noise of a surface lure spitting and gliding and popping on a warm summers evening and a nice spikey dorsal fin poking out of the water as it homes in :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  5. SUPERCAST-PK

SUPERCAST-PK Member

Its my favourite fishing they fight well always diving and dodging, love using my heavy rods with big baits on pennel rigs love the hard bites and rod pull downs just love everything about fishing for them

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. fishingscott

fishingscott Member

PICT0565.JPG PICT0920.JPG IMG_20160708_084636.jpg I'm quite new to fishing really and only really started about three years ago when I moved to Norway, and was spoiled as Novice from the beginning. I caught my very first Codling after spending a very miserable night camping in a tent that can only be described as not fit for the purpose and a nylon nightmare. Got absolutely soaked but unperturbed was rewarded with my very first specimen. Since then have had quite a few from along the waters edge in the early months of this year using an Eddystone eel, black and red firetail, in Norway, you often see cod along the edge feeding almost on the surface in winter, but did see a double figure one once in shallow water close in, in the summer. Another good catch was a fish 3 1/2 lb on a small telescopic rod that I found in a dustbin and put new line on the reel. It was a fun rod while it lasted but sadly back to where I found it. The biggest Cod I've had was almost 15lb this summer from the boat in about 10 meters of water. I love catching Cod because I like the knocks it gives and always can tell when hooked into one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  7. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Scott, that Kelpy Cod is a real beauty, I dont think I have ever seen one with such a deep colour !

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BOBBYDAZZLA

BOBBYDAZZLA Member

Thing's aren't what they used to be here for sure (thanks commercials)…Gone are the days of bagging up at Dungie…I do love the thrill of the chase though (getting timing right,conditions etc)…Was lucky enough to go to Northern Norway last year…where 8-10lb Cod are a considered a nuisance believe it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fishingscott

fishingscott Member

Yes it was very Red and very pretty, kelpies are all I seem to catch, even from the boat, never yet been into a shoal, just the odd loner here and there.

10. GCM

GCM Member

11. peewit

peewit Member

I hoped cod numbers were increasing ! theres more about (up here) this year than Iv'e noticed in years

12. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

Annoying when that happens. :gtfo: Now, in the summer when a wrasse takes isome, that's different, that's what you want :inlove: Cod though in the winter...... plus some whiting to cook and eat while waiting :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Plenty of Cod on isome and gulp :)

14. drunkenwalruss

drunkenwalruss Member

Love fishing for cod but most iv heard of this year are big head skinny body like my halloween cod 20161105_033505.jpg

15. I think that COD has HIV and an STD.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. john gordon wilson

john gordon wilson Member

My Summers are spentitled kayak fishing for bass and bream winter for cod and whiting , all it takes is a few pictures of someone holding a big cod and the fever sets in , I know that there has been hundreds of anglers blanking but it could be me this time with the big un , it's the same reasoning behind the lottery

17. sausage

sausage Member

Don't really get many down our way ,, and those that do get caught are largely by catch or a total surprise
    I had one fishing in the summer about 8 years ago which was considered rare as hens teeth down this way
    But we more than make up for it with other species pretty much all year round so it's no great loss

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. bald dodge

bald dodge Member

I like Cod fishing and spend most of the winter fishing for them . Ive had them to 14- 5 from Chesil but they're no more important than anything else . Im happy to catch any big fish, Ray, Huss, Cod or Conger .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Most anglers has a better chance of catching a Cold than catching a Cod these days. It is something I have to tick off. Been there, done it, got the Cod, got the video, got the pics, not bothered to have a tee shirt printed with the pic on though.
    So going to brave it out and try tomorrow. Dragging the missus along to make my coffee and pot noodles. Yeah, Bombay Bad Boy. Going to be a 230miles return journey starting early at 5.30 am.
    Everything all packed and now have to get to bed. Feeling excited and hope I have good dreams of catching that big Cod of a lifetime. Hope my dream come true tomorrow and then I can put my pic with it on here...lol :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  20. gert

gert Member

Hi,

I just discovered this thread .... what a great reading, thank's all for the stories!
    My favourite specie is without doubt gilthead, which i target every summer in Brittany, but cod is also a fantastic fish to catch!
    We dont catch that many cod up here, just the odd unexpected one when targeting other winter species like whiting and dab.
    But i will never forget my first codlin from a beach near Vlissingen. I didnt see any bite, but had a lot of "dead" weight when retrieving, so my first thought was a big lump of weed .... "weed" that started to swim against the tide????? A moment later, there it was, lying on the beach, with his big tail fin flapping on the sand, and a big open mouth : beautifull fish! .... not a very big one, i'd day 4 or 5 pounds, but my first ever!
    Since that day, everytime i go fishing in the fall/winter, i dream of catching another one (which i did a couple of times) ... keeps us going to the beach! ;)

Gert

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  21. bakerman

bakerman Member

Just to add another perspective... I would hazard a guess that the relationship between hunter gatherers in northern latitudes and Cod goes back to pre history. This species really is, or rather was, the bread basket of the ocean. It was an abundant source of tasty protein that could be preserved well by salting/smoking and additionally the liver is large, oily and extremely nutritious, which likely enabled human settlement and populations that wouldn't have existed without the Cod. Perhaps this fish is triggering some primeval instinct in us modern day hunter gatherers with all our fancy tackle.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor