1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Your old Flares

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by gibberfish, Mar 9, 2011.

1. craig1985

craig1985 Member

Carnt you just take them to local police station and tell them you have just found them in park or some crap like that

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. scubadogct

scubadogct

Just wait until bonfire night and let them off.
    For me it is always amazing just how many people have never set one off nor know how too.
    What are you waiting for? The moment you actually need the. To learn how to do it and how they behave? What situation will this be... Panicking, in the dark, maybe even in the water, in a storm or injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clinker

Clinker Member

It's been mentioned many times that letting them off on bonfire night (or any other time when not in distress) is illegal and whilst I would agree experience of letting them off is a good thing (the kick a rocket gives is quite surprising), it's not a good idea unless in a very controlled environment - I had a go with various flares at an RNLI demo event a few years back - they don't do them any more - but apparently the safety preparations over the choice of site, having a trained person to instruct people having a go and the number of organisations they had to inform were quite extensive - rather more than the average bonfire display.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dinghyfisher

dinghyfisher Guest

I sold my boat and left them in the seat storage box with lots of other stuff I didn't want. It then became S.E.P (somebody else's problem).

6. pigtin

pigtin Member

Still have some in the shed and also some ammunition for a concrete piercing stud gun... it really should be easier to get rid of them.

7. Clinker

Clinker Member

If you're not near to one of the Coast Guard stations that take them, it's worth contacting your local chandler - more seem to be taking them now - mostly when you buy replacements, but some will take them otherwise.

8. Tdog46

Tdog46 Member

It's a shame there's nothing between Poole and Dover . That's a long drive if you live in Eastbourne.

9. scubadogct

scubadogct

In a controlled environment recently, a friend of mine tried to set one off.
    He pulled the string to quick and it snapped.
    He grabbed a second and did the same thing.
    Point is, if he was in an emergency situation he would now be screwed.
    However, now he has practised and figured out how to set one of properly he will know better in the event he has to use one for real.

Point is......I bet most on here have never familiarised themselves with a flare. Why wait u till the sh it has hit the fan before you do familiarise yourself??

Just doesn't make sense.

Same goes for fire extinguishers.....

On my sea survival course we were taught how to use both with real and live practice's.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clinker

Clinker Member

All that is fine and valid as long as you're doing it in a controlled environment with an organisation that has taken all the appropriate precautions and informed/got permission from all the relevant authorities.

Just setting them off willy nilly on your own (even if on Nov 5) has the potential to cause serious injury and/or setting off an expensive rescue operation.

11. scubadogct

scubadogct

Just inform the coast guard of your intentions before hand.

If you need other people to "assist" you then you probably stand much chance jn a survival situation any way...

12. headlight

headlight Member

My local Force4 chandlers tried to get permission to let off flares.
    Their idea was that they would accept the return of out of date flares as there are 5 marina"s in the area & the nearest place that would accept them was 2 1/2 hours away so people are either keeping the out of date flares or disposing of them illegally.
    They would dispose of them in a controlled manner/situation.
    They could not get permission to do this !
    They were refused permission by the CG, police & local authority !
    There are only 2 recognised places in England & Wales that will accept flares, they are Milford Haven CG or Falmouth CG.
    To take flares to either of these CG stations you must contact them listing the number, type & condition of the flares.
    They will then give you an appointment date/time that you can take the flares to them.
    This is Monday to Friday.
    Milford is the closer of the 2 CG stations to me so that is a 5 hour round drive & day off work !
    No wonder Force4 Cardiff reckon there are thousands of out of date flares in their area as there are over 1000 boats in the Cardiff Bay marina"s.
    The system is a joke.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  13. pigtin

pigtin Member

What is the penalty for possessing explosives?
    It's all a bit worrying.

14. seafoods

seafoods

15. Clinker

Clinker Member

Ian - there are actually 18 CG stations in the uk that accept time expired flares
    Shetland MRCC Tel: 01595 692 976
    • Stornoway MRCC Tel: 01851 702 013
    • Belfast MRCC Tel: 02891 463 933
    • Liverpool MRCC Tel: 0151 931 3341
    • Holyhead MRCC Tel: 01407 762 051
    • Milford Haven MRCC Tel: 01646 690 909
    • Falmouth MRCC Tel: 01326 310 800
    • Brixham MRCC Tel: 01803 882 704
    • Poole RNLI HQ Tel: 01202 336 336
    • Solent MRCC Tel: 02392 552 100
    • Dover MRCC Tel: 01304 218 500
    • Thames MRCC Tel: 01255 675 518
    • Humber MRCC Tel: 01262 672 317
    • North Norfolk Sector Base Tel: 01493 851 338
    • St Andrews Sector Base Tel: 01333 450 666
    • Inverness Sector Base Tel: 01224 592 334
    • Cruden Bay CG Tel: 01224 592 334
    • Girvan CG Tel: 01475 729 988

Plus many chandlers will take them if you're buying new from them - where Force 4 went wrong was trying to arrange their own means of disposal - no authority is going to sanction firing of TEPs

16. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

I had cause to use a couple of orange smokes during an incident well off shore so the helicopter could identify us. This was requested by the pilot, I'd have felt a right prawn if I hadn't had any :frown:

17. bassman1982

bassman1982 Member

You can buy them without out a fire arms license as they are for emergency use only and store on your boat and not in the boot of your car! If there out of date you can take them to either fire station or police station but ring and give them heads up first

18. pigtin

pigtin Member

Best you don't dial 999 to do it. But it's news to me. Is it really that easy?:)

19. headlight

headlight Member

Not according to the CG when I spoke to them Clinker.
    Never the less the closest to Cardiff, as I stated previously, is still Milford Haven which is still the best part of a 4.5 hour round trip & nearly 100 miles each way for me.
    My local Police & Fire Station & by local I mean the main Bridgend Police & Fire stations will not accept flares.
    I have also contacted the main police & fire stations in Cardiff, both of which do not accept them either.

20. Clinker

Clinker Member

That list is from the MCA website, so should be accurate - mine go to Milford anyway so I've not had the need to check anywhere else. One of our local chandlers also accepts them if you're buying replacements - might be worth checking if any of your local places do the same - obviously Force 4 were trying to do something different by trying to arrange to fire them (as I said before no one is going to sanction the firing of time-expired pyrotechics and especially not with the public present) - I haven't asked but I assume the flares company takes them away when they call with delivery of new flares.

21. headlight

headlight Member

Force 4 is the only chandlers in Cardiff Andrew.
    The next closest is Marinescene in Porthcawl & they do not accept flares either.
    I have no idea how people in other areas are getting local chandlers, Police & Fire stations to accept out of date flares as you certainly can"t do it around here.
    It just seems a very strange situation that an area with 5 marinas & probably around 1,500 boats has no local way of disposing of the very many out of date flares there must be.
    I have given up anyway & am going to dispose of my out of date flares myself (I will not be firing them).

22. gowerpower

gowerpower Member

I couldnt agree more! Just got a new boat and now planning on getting LED equivalent as being in Cardiff bay no way to dispose of them.. (Legally any way!)

23. headlight

headlight Member

Last time I spoke with the CG they said get a PLB & either forget about flares or get a PLB & a couple of hand held smokers to use just once you have heard/seen the chopper/life boat.
    A PLB is not much dearer than an offshore flare pack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. terry ..poole

terry ..poole Member

At rnli poole if you ring or email the security they will dispose of the free of charge but give them 24 hours notice before hand and a maximum of 12 flares at a time ..

25. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor