1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Your old Flares

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by gibberfish, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dai1641

dai1641 Member

My mate was telling about a guy who stuck the smoke ones down holes to smoke out rabbits.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. fish`n`chips

fish`n`chips Member

I rang milford cg and they asked me if i had tried local services fire and police they don't except them so I just dug a hole and fired them off into the hole on top was a large bonfire got rid of all my out of date flares and most smokers too boot I know it is illegal but haven't been arrested yet lol

4. IvanSki

IvanSki Member

Another alternative, seeing as most recreational boat owners wont hopefully get to fire flares off, is to make a few phone calls first, ring the local Police and ask for a log created and tell them what your doing, then if your near the coast inform HMCG as well. Should anyone see your flares and ring 999, it will most likely be the Police & Coastguard who get the calls, probably both to be fair.

If they both know, then nobody needs to come looking for you. Information like exact location, mobile No, number of flares & time of firing will be enough to prevent any embarrassment. The onus is on you to choose a safe location where the public will not get damaged. Any calls by the public to the emergency services can be written off.

Read your instructions carefully and fire off the flares. Now you have done it in slow time, and not under the duress of a failing boat at sea. Your better knowing how to do this safely in a safe training environment rather than at sea of a sinking boat. And confidence using flares safely is better mastered when the pressure is off.

5. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor