Zziplex - Version overload

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by trigger, Mar 23, 2012.

1. trigger

trigger Member

Having just seen a thread about a Zziplex Profile 'Hi Flex' and thought what on earth is that, does anyone really know what is the point of all these different Zzippies?

(Bearing in mind I love mine).

Is it just me or is Mr Carroll having a laugh before he hangs up his mandrel?

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. barnacle

barnacle Member

Considering he's a virtual one man operation I hope he turns out as many different rods as he can, while he can. After seeing the film "the lost world of Mr Hardy" it makes me sad when a great British label goes under or has to sell out to manufacturing in the Far East just to stay alive. The rods are never the same.
    Terry Carroll's rods have a reputation around the world not unlike Hardy had in the early days. I for one don't really care what he calls his rods as long as he keeps making them the way he does in the UK.

If Terry Carroll made rods for Trout and Salmon fishing he would have had a Knighthood by now!!.

I know what you mean about the different names though....lol
  3. are soles fish?

are soles fish? Member

In search of the winning Centimeter, and horses for courses, and it must be like Stapling custard to a wall.
  4. DAVID 123

DAVID 123 Member

The point is, there is no point,Just marketing ploys. The drivel penned on this forum about Zziplex rods, has become ridiculous. If the latest Zzippy were to be called. The (primo syncro, turbo charged, fuel injected,GT surf slayer) It would find a market with people who would spend more time talking about it, than fishing with it. Cheers Dave. Clocks go foward tonight, wont be dark Sunday evening till about 7.45 great.
  5. barnacle

barnacle Member

Of course its a marketing ploy you can't sell things that don't have a name.....

Admittedly there is a lot of sycophantic rubbish stated about Zziplex rods as well as others, just as on the flip-side there are people like you that feel compelled to state your feelings against said rods. A never ending circle.....

As has been said before many times, you pay your money you take your choice.....my choice is to buy British where possible. I don't moddy coddle my gear I beast it, and over time I have simply found that a Zziplex will put up with it and not let you down. Yes there are other rods......I just dont like the idea of spending 300 quid on a rod, where the blank cost less than my underpants to produce. Who gives a toss if it has Alconites ect ect, its made in the far east for pennies and punted in the UK for a ridiculous mark up.....that's my take
  6. philtherod

philtherod Member

Thanks for the reminder on the hour!
    Isn't it about time that Terry was put forward for an OBE or other official recognition for his services to Angling? Without him and others, we would probably still be using Reverse-tapers, ferrules and counters, sintox rings and Modalock reel seats (I still have some if anyone wants one for a boat rod!). I have met and talked to Terry many times, and he has always been helpful, with many ground-breaking suggestions, he is, like my father was, a man before his time; the same could be said of John Holden, another pioneer, whose efforts will probably go unrecognised and rewarded by the majority. The fact that they, and I, make at least part of a living is irrelevant. Civil servants get honours given to them almost as a "perk", the fact that they are paid to do a job is for them irrelevant; so are TC and JH. This is THE Jubilee year - anyone know how to recommend for an honour?

PTR
  7. trigger

trigger Member

Nice but totally irrelevant! I'm sure he's a lovely guy, I own numerous of his products and they are (IMHO) the best. I just don't understand this recent proliferation of sub species of rods which could be viewed as cynical marketing as equally as product development / evolution.
  8. seancodbod

seancodbod Member

Maybe there are a lot of versions to cover as many different personal preferences as possible, some may like a softer tip or stiffer butt than others but find a particular rod suits them. Yes this may be a marketing ploy but Zziplex is a business not a charity and they have to sell as many rods as they can to stay in business, and yes they are very expensive but then so are Rolls Royce and Ferraris. Personally I think its the question of variation in action sometimes found in rods, the F1 springs to mind here, that might be more concerning but then they are all hand made so I guess there will be some slight variation and its the price to pay for a high quality hand made rod.
  9. DAVID 123

DAVID 123 Member

"There is a lot of sycophantic rubish stated about Zziplex rods" well said. How many rods in the Zziplex range, differ that much, from another. Just how many variants are there, in the primo range. Yes you need a name to sell, but the brand is confusing. If I wanted to purchase a Zziplex rod, I would not have a clue as to wich one to get. Too much choice, with little explanation, why this one differs from that one. New materials make for better rods, after all its a stick with guides, and a reel seat. Cheers Dave.
  10. Led

Led Member

The problem is that people want subtle changes to what are already excellent rods, (hence the GT, Hi-Flex, Evo, Match etc) No marketing ploy - just providing a particular customer what they want.

I spoke with Terry last week about this and he is looking at producing a list of his 'current' blank range complete with the whys and wherefores to redcue the amount of concerns and issues that things like this cause.

BTW Terry does make Salmon and Trout rods, infact World Champions use them.

Jacek Kuza (Poland) is extremely pleased with his - 2010 World Champion

2010icsfev6winner2.jpg
  11. BassBE

BassBE Member

He is doing something every manufacturer should do and that's listening to their customers and adapting products to their needs.
    It's the essence of (good) marketing.
  12. seancodbod

seancodbod Member

Well said :thumbs:
  13. steve lewis

steve lewis Guest

As Led says it just Terry trying to meet the demands of the market.

Look at the M4 range - First there was the standard m4. Then someone wanted one 'beefed up' so enter the m4 evo. Then someone wanted one with a more sensitive tip for fishing, m4 hf match. Then someone wanted a more powerful version with a tip some where between the original carbon tip and the match style tip - m4gt.

All of the Zziplex range are now being tweeked by demand, its not Terry dictating to the market what rods he wants to sell just merely answering the phone and listening to customers.

Yes the range can be confusing for some but the confusion comes from people talking about rods they have never used, or tackle companies trying to sell a rod they don't fully understand.
  14. jonnovet

jonnovet Member

Personally, I thought it was all hype and bull**** until I got my first Zziplex. I was determined to be hypercritical but after 4 casting sessions I was forced to change my mind. My technique has improved immeasureably. The downside is that with improved technique, rod needs change. More flexible, stiffer midsections, etc. There is always a rod in the Zziplex range to fit a need. As fishing rods, they are unsurpassed. I am an old fella, but am now able to fish 2 days back to back without aching arms, being kicked by a mistimed cast. The man is a legend and is providing as many variations as there are fishers and casters. Here in Australia we pay more for a Chinese made Daiwa or Shimano than you do for a Zziplex. My 11' Shimano Tiralejo cost more than my last Zziplex. Be grateful that you have such easy access to some of the finest rods ever made and stop behaving like a bunch of whingeing poms (said as a Pom in exile). A range with such diversity would not be possible if they were mass manufactured by a company focussed on profit maximisation. I will buy as many as I can before Terry hangs up his mandrel - then the *******s who whinged can buy them off me at hugely inflated prices.
  15. DAVID 123

DAVID 123 Member

That said, if I ring Zziplex ask for a rod in the M4 range and request this that and the other, it will have a new prefix ie
    M4DD lobber, another rod in the M4 range. Now the bloke down the road. does the same as I, M4yv chucker. How would a tackle shop know anything about either rod, barking mad. If a rod is made for an individual, it has no need for a new title. Cheers Dave.
  16. mr.TT

mr.TT Member

Well said mate
  17. mr.TT

mr.TT Member

Terry is a genius at his trade , and knows what he is doing , do you really think he would make a rod if he didnt think it was beneficial to the anglers out there
  18. seancodbod

seancodbod Member

But if that rod has been customised for your request, its not strictly an M4, Primo etc, so if its sold on to someone else they wont be getting the rod they think they are, and maybe its to help avoid getting it mixed up at the factory. I suppose its like shops having blanks designed for themselves based on existing blanks, Blue Thunders, Veals Channel Specials, Reelsport Response, Dave Docwra Victory series ?? (I think they were) all based on existing Century blanks but not standard designs.
  19. steve lewis

steve lewis Guest

I wasn't talking about one offs. Terry doesn't name individual blanks. I was talking about evo, match, gt, hi-flex.

Cheers

Steve
  20. steve lewis

steve lewis Guest

I could be missing the point here but if you don't like Zziplex rods don't buy them. There's plenty of choice out there from very good manufacturers