balance your rod
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

balance your rod

Discussion in 'Bass Lure useful information.' started by sergeï, Apr 21, 2020.

1. sergeï

sergeï Member

hello,
    These days (and a long time ago ) a lot of people use long rods that can feel tip heavy : this will break your wrist on long sessions ...

I will make a small demo for balancing a rod, because I am often asked the advantages / disadvantages and the way to achieve it (we often discuss it in various posts on different "french" forums but the questions are never answered , so a little explanation/photo report will do the job ). I use this trick for a long time now and it is very usefull on these long sessions .

When i bought my first shimano diaflash (20 years ago or more ?) , it had a butt counter weight added : that was a eye opener for me . Since that , i always add a counter weight on all my rods (depending of the angle you want to put : higher the tip rod = better detection when fishing the bottom because the 90° angle OR tip at water level for my jerk rods => you can adjust it YOUR way , and on the same rod as well , depending your different styles on one session : all is up to you .

Materials used:
    Rocksweeper 802 rod
    Reels shimano aero CI4 + 4000 (255 gr) and shimano aero feeder (340 gr), I chose these 2 models which have the same size so as not to "distort" the result (a lot of people think that a heavier reel will balance out a rod...rarely the case , i assure you !)

in this case ,i will use a counterweight of 30 gr (piece of lead or "watch" lead style)
    I made it simple so that everyone could carry out this balance : 1 chair foot cap diameter 28 mm (also exists in 25/30/etc , in DIY stores: mesure your butt to adjust ), it costs around 1 euro / piece
    stuck the lead to the bottom of the cap and glue it.
    To adjust the cap to the diameter of the butt , simply heat it a little (in water) and put it on the butt to cool.
    you can glue it (with silicone, it can be removed without much difficulty and it is clean once cleaned) or tape it ... so, no modification to the rod (if you want to sell it).
    observation: between the reel of 255 gr and the 340 gr, we only gain 5 mm (with 85 gr more!) on the balance point.
    the balance point with the 255 gr is 7 cm from the center of the reel’s base
    the balance point with the 340 gr is 6.5 cm from the center of the reel’s base( see pic n'1)
    with the 30 gr counter weight on the 255 gr reel , we are now at 4 cm from the center of the foot (see pic n' 2) and we only have a total weight of 285 gr (we gained 2.5 cm and 55 gr).

it's clear: lighter and better balanced ! impeccable for the comfort/ animations and use over a long session, what more could you want?
    and all this for a ridiculous price (2 euros max)
    PA080156.JPG PA080157.JPG PA080158.JPG PA080159.JPG PA080161.JPG

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

good idea fella , i think ive seen something similar on here before with coins in the butt cap , however i find the fatigue comes once youve attached a lure to it ,
    e.g. fishing a slim metal seeker has very little drag in the drink where as a deep diving long bibbed hp can be quite tiresome after a period and theres no getting away from that.
    WTD on a long rod can also be tiresome, but then the longer range the cast the less you end up casting so never sure whether it will benefit me too much , all horses for courses i suppose.
    On my more epic sessions that can be 48hrs with a few hrs sleep grabbed in between i take a short lighter kit as well a change in tempo/kit gets my interest back again and has paid dividends when things are a bit more fussy

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. sergeï

sergeï Member

thanks for your comment ;)
    mine report is a copy of the first time i put it on a forum back in 2014
    of course , the lures makes a different pressure on line/rod : you may adjust the counter weight if need
    it makes the WTD much easier on the longer rods without the wrist fatigue
    i have the same long sessions as you twice a month but am not able to use a lighter/shorter rod due to "out of reach" spots , so a long rod is absolute necessity

i use it on every rod i have , from a spinning 5/25 up to my big swimbait casters ( savage gear big pike/daiwa prorex 8'6 >260gr =>on this rod , the added weight is about 75 gr and makes all the difference : much lighter in the hand and so i don't waste time when setting the hooks , the reaction is instant (very important on these big baits )

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DRD

DRD Member

I don't add weight to any my reel/rod combinations and tbh they all seem fine fatigue wise. That said, I am open to the idea I've been having a subpar experience all this time without realising so I'll try adding weight, see if I prefer it. Cheers!

5. sergeï

sergeï Member

awaiting yours comments ;)

6. charles davies

charles davies Member

Sounds great look forward to getting out and fishing and putting it to the test thank you

7. sergeï

sergeï Member

it's always a pleasure to share ;)

8. NIrishDane

NIrishDane Member

I have had to do this to a few of my rods but not all of them. Similar to this post I used a 28mm butt cap but instead opted for 3x 2 pence pieces over a lead weight as they fit perfectly and is easy to add more or take away if needed. It really begs the question, are lure rod manufacturers really designing their rods well if they are not balanced with a typical sized reel for that lenght of rod. In my view its simple case of moving the reel seat higher up the rod, which is essentially taking weight away from the tip and putting it on the opposite side of the fulcrum behind the reel. Perhaps people like the total grip section smaller, but in most cases this negatively effects the balance of the rod.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Pecheur Anglais

Pecheur Anglais Member

Hello Sergeï I have recently started lure fishing and found that actions like walking the dog are quite tiring on the wrist. I use a Savage Gear Salt 2 rod, 2.79m with a Daiwa Crossfire 4000 reel and was already thinking I need to invest in a lighter combination.

Your post was an eye opener for me. You explained it and illustrated it very well and I decided to give it a try. The balance point of my outfit, with a 28g Patchinko suspended, was about 26cm from the centre of the reel base.

Adding a massive 87g of lead brought the balance point to about 10cm from the centre of the reel base. I was shocked how much it took.

Fishing yesterday evening, the rod felt lighter and I experienced less fatigue on my wrist. Success!

It surprised me that balance makes so much more difference to the feel of the rod than its actual weight.

Adding 87g is a lot and the rod is already over 200g without the balance weight, so I plan to still buy a lighter rod. But I have felt the benefit of balancing a rod and that has been a useful lesson, thank you

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  10. sergeï

sergeï Member

hi Pecheur Anglais,
    i'm pleased it works for you (but it works for everybody , you just need to give it a try)
    BUT , you must not suspend a lure on your rod to balance your outfit (when you fish , it's in the water , you feel very little about it's weight ) because you are going to put too much weight that's not necessary .
    you may add a little more to adjust the balance angle you want

personnal : with jerk minnows , a horizontal balance is great for me and when fishing with softies ( rod pointing to the sky) i will ad more weight ( just enough to achieve 35-40 degree angle)

i know a lot of people think putting a heavyer reel to their outfit will solve their problem but it's nonsense : if one end is too heavy , you must put counter weight the other end , NOT where you attach the reel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. NIrishDane

NIrishDane Member

Agreed, it takes a reel that weighs in excess of 500g to balance a 9ft 7-35 nebula just within the foregrip. Imagine putting a 500g reel on a ~120g rod :roflpuke:

Completely defeats the purpose of using a light rod

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pecheur Anglais

Pecheur Anglais Member

The weight went to the end of the rod butt, like in your photo. I agree, putting a heavier reel on would not be a good idea. I already have a lighter reel that I intend to use, just need to get round to putting braid on it. Also, if all goes to plan, I have a Tailwalk rod coming that is about 70g lighter than the SG, so I am looking forward to balancing that combination.

My idea for suspending a lure was not because of its weight, I probably should not have mentioned 28g as that is not relevant. It is to simulate the load from the drag of the lure being retrieved through the water. I am sure you agree, you can feel that. Also, you can see it with the bend at your rod tip. It seems clear to me that the drag of a lure is a load that puts torque on the pivot point, ie, your wrist. It would be difficult to measure that drag, so I suspended a lure as a guess. It works well for me, but maybe I am not understanding something? I am happy to learn.

13. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

The balance point is where you hold the rod , that can be 2 places , cast or retrieve ,if you have 2 fingers either side of the reel stem i agree on the reel weight , personally i hold fore of the reel stem so its all relative to the individual .
    Sometimes i shift my grip for top or subs so dont really buy into this as i find the lure drag causes me more stress .
    Still if it works for anyone thats great
    I have about 6 rods for differenr duties so i pick what one fits the bill of the days fishing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sergeï

sergeï Member

the weight you put in "front" (your 28gr lure) may be relevant , but i understand what you mean ( with the resistance the lure puts on the rod tip)
    like Ftp says , you may adjust the balance with the position of yours fingers around the reel stem : i do it on some occasions to adapt when using a lure who "drags" a lot

remember : if you have a stick that's 3 meters and the point where you hold it (point C) is at 1 meter of one end (point B ) , the other end is point A ,
    you have to add twice the amount weight (that's at A) to point B to balance the stick perfectly horizontal , it's as simple as that : now you know that adding some weight at point C is not the solution at all .
    in the case of a rod (that's not tubular but conical) the mass distribution is different because the tip is very thin/long and the butt large/short , so you have to adjust the counter weight for each rod depending of it's/your use
    to finely adjust the balance when fishing , depending of the lure resistance in the water (lipless/big lip/etc.) , you may also move a finger up/down the reel stem (like Ftp wrote ;))

• Agree Agree x 1