Bass rod and reel
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Bass rod and reel

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing Forum' started by dyounger, May 7, 2020.

1. dyounger

dyounger Member

Hi planning to get a rod and reel for bass to use down in Devon. Have flyfished for trout for long time and used trout fly rods in sea but want to get saltwater setup. Budget isn't big £100 max so have been looking at the Maxcatch website and the premier rods and also the Predator salt water rod in 9 weight. I was wondering if anyone has experience of these or any other suggestions. I can get the combo kit with the Predator rod, reel and line for under £100 but there aren't any reviews that I can find. Any advice very welcome. Cheers Dicken

2. Nee Deep

Nee Deep Member

£100 isn't enough of a budget to get something hald reasonable. The whole saltie fly fishing is demanding on gear so a troutie type rod/reel/line with a saltie label doesnt cut it. Double your budget and there are a number of options,

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Anthony Wakefield

Anthony Wakefield Member

Don't be discouraged, you can still buy a reasonably good fly rod, reel and fly line within your budget. I suggest you have a look at the Shakespeare Agility 2 XPS 8# £67.99. The Airflow Delta fly reel £12.99 @ Amazon. The Airflow Forty Plus WF8 floating fly line £24.99. If you look for reviews on the above I think you'll find they are mostly positive.

All the best and tight lines.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dyounger

dyounger Member

Hi thanks for the reply, I've bought the Predator combo from Maxcatch got it about a week ago. I've not had any fish but the rod casts well and seems well made. The line is good and the reel is as well for the price. Used it in quite windy conditions and it coped well. Casting most of the line, handling weighted clousers well .

• Like Like x 2
  5. Anthony Wakefield

Anthony Wakefield Member

Great, glad you got an outfit that suits you

• Like Like x 1
  6. dyounger

dyounger Member

Just a quick update, I got the Predator combo from Maxcatch about 2 weeks ago. It's a 9ft #9 rod, floating line, reel and also got a dozen tapered leaders. Total cost £75 delivered free straight from the factory in China. Used it 4 times on my local beach in Dawlish, copes well with windy conditions,casting almost the whole flyline, rod has a good action fast but not too much. Copes well with clousers, decievers etc. Line shoots well lies flat, better than some much more expensive lines I've had in the past. Reel is die cast but nicely made cork drag easily adjusted, just need to wash off after use.
    Had my first fish last night, tiny little schoolie just need to find his grandad lol.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 3
  7. BassonFly

BassonFly Member

Lovely mate. That next hit could be from a 60+er....

• Like Like x 2