Boat fishing kit list essentials....
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Boat fishing kit list essentials....

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by Scottanderson87, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Scottanderson87

Scottanderson87 Member

Looking at dropping on charters on a regular basis and wanting to build up a list of kit to take from rods to beads.... can you guys advice on what you would class as kit to acquire. Also whats great kit and whats best to avoid...i.e. cheap reels from wish to abu's finest etc.... rig assortment too what would you carry on a typical charter day out wether it be wrecks, macky bashing or other?

2. Ollieollie

Ollieollie Member

Ok I’ll make a start as I remember being in your position! Not a great deal of info on this is about.......

12-20lb boat rod
    Multiplier reel(id go straight in for a lever drag personally)
    Braid
    Leader
    Rigs
    Feathers
    Lures
    A selection of weights
    Booms
    Bait loader
    Unhooking device
    Bait elastic
    Clothing

Update & more detail to follow tomorrow but it’ll get you thinking

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ollieollie

Ollieollie Member

Also would this not get a better response in the boat section?? @Nick Phillips

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bass Ally

Bass Ally Member

I carry scissors, a good pair of snips for removing hooks from fingers (only ever used once but boy was I pleased I had them).
    A knife
    Bin bags
    Small first aid kit

5. hotponyshoes

hotponyshoes Member

A big net.
    Get the biggest you can comfortably store on the boat as if the boat is rocking it's a lot easier to get a small fish into a big net.
    There is a lot of other stuff to do apart from fish when it's your own boat and the tackle can get a lot more knocked about then when you are on a charter boat. I would suggest a cheap rod/reel combo, at least for the first season.

Rod holders, as many as you can. When it's your own boat you will find you often have to put the rod down to check/do something else.
    You also want a decent method of getting hooks out. You can guarantee you wont catch anything for hours but as soon as you put the rod down to answer the vhf or something you will have a deep hooked doggie when you come back to it.
    I usually wind in if I need to do something else but I do get friends/family/novices out with me a lot and some of them dont seem to notice they have got a bite.
    Plenty of towels.
    Some way of making notes of what fish you catch/where/when/state of tide etc. Not sure if this is worth doing but I am hoping it will show me patterns eventually and help me catch more fish. It's not working yet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. SeaMouse

SeaMouse Member

Sunglasses and a hat, footwear with both grip and water resistance, waterproof phone cover. Also speak to the skipper about his plans for the day. A 12/20 will cover most situations, as already advised, but if you are looking at very fast shallow water or deep water in a tide then being without respectively an uptider or a 30lb class rod will leave you struggling. An uptider would be an alternative choice as an all-rounder rod but the extra length is a pain in many more southern situations. Yorkshire coast used to be heavy rods working pirks or bait on deep wrecks but I think these days, it has shifted more to uptiding or working lures? Both of which an uptider can handle well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sniggle

sniggle Member

Most important is good wet weather gear and warm clothing, hat and sunglasses plus sunscreen in the warmer weather if we ever have any.
    If you are cold and wet you will not enjoy your day , you should even take lightweight wet weather gear in the summer it keeps the fish snot off if nothing else!
    Better to have and not need (most skippers will let you put a clean bag of clothes /food in the wheelhouse) than need and not have !

The Armed Forces have an old saying that "Any fool can be uncomfortable"!

8. Point

Point Member

One thing not mentioned that I'd never be without is a hook sharpener.

Edit: if you're going to use braid, take a 6" length of broom handle with you to wrap the braid around in case of snagging up. Don't cross over the wraps. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. hotponyshoes

hotponyshoes Member

Forget my post. I misred and thought you were dropping charters to go on your own boat!

For charters, especially if you are going alone, take a couple of packs of chocolate biscuits and offer them around regularly. Good way to make conversation/friends and if you have friends on the boat they will lend/give/sell you anything you need or have forgotten.

10. TimFB

TimFB Member

Buy yourself a decent 20lb boat rod and good multiplier. Load it with 30lb braid and add a 15ft mono leader of 30lb. Buy Sea Angler for a few months to read the charter angling articles, which will give a clue to end tackle for relevant species. Research on line. Most important of all when you book ask the skipper for advice on what end tackle to bring...follow his advice to the letter. You may even find that some provide end tackle/ leads.

These days on my own boat, I only carry the following:
    3 hook paternosters with size 1 or 1/0 circle hooks for bream, wrasse or other small fish
    3ft general ledger traces with 2/0 or 4/0 hooks tied out of 60 lb fluoro for rays, hounds, just about anything
    6ft livebait traces with 4/0 or 6/0 Vikings/Forged Aberdeen’s tied on 15lb fluoro for Bass/pollack
    3ft Tope/conger traces with 200lb mono and 8/0 circles
    A few sets of mackerel feathers
    Some 90, 150, and 200g yann, flashmer, Williamson pirks
    A few white or red red gills or raglou eels.
    A mini bits box with lead links, swivels, a few beads, snaps and so on.
    A spare spool of leader line (30lb clear mono or 80lb mono if Tope fishing)
    Leads ranging from three oz to a pound
    It all lives in a Tupperware box in the console apart from the leads that live in a bucket.
    That lot would fit in a rucksack and will catch just about anything around here.
    Good luck...and I can’t emphasize enough taking the advice of your skipper. I crewed on a charter boat in my teens, and the people that caught the most were the ones that used the skippers recommended rig...without fail.

• Like Like x 1