Burntisland
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Burntisland

Discussion in 'Scotland Catch Reports' started by philbert, Jun 4, 2012.

1. philbert

philbert Member

Hi all
    Anyone fished the harbour at burntisland?
    might get the chance to stop there this weekend is it worth fishing?

cheers

2. Wolfe71

Wolfe71 Member

I'm hoping to fish there tomorrow. Have caught mackerel in the past. The breakwater seems to be the favoured spot for catching codling, wrasse, etc.

3. Charonii

Charonii Member

Not much doing there today, no sign of the mackeral being close in (i was on my kayak) and had a good mooch about and into the deep water but not a touch.

Quite a few seals though......

4. philbert

philbert Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll go and have a look its a bonus if i catch anything!

Cheers

5. findus

findus Member

Inside the harbour at the yacht basin is a good spot for codling near the rocks. Watch the boats though when casting.. The pier is the obvious spot for mackies and along the wall toward the end. below the wall on inside and out there is a ledge with kelp that can throw up the odd codling and wrasse etc.
    The inside harbour directly behind the breakwater can throw up a few fish to ledgering,, codling,saithe,eels etc..

A good spot also is "shanks pier" which is at the end of the old harbour slipway. look for the old wooden pier at the end and fish around the corner from the grassy bank into the main shipping channel for the shipyard. good for occasional flatties and codling when conditions suit. Again please be aware of all boats passing or moored.

Briggs marine dock is now out of bounds to the public as is the shipyard pier and shipyard dock area.

Any more info required will be glad to help.... Findus...

6. philbert

philbert Member

Findus
    Thanks for such a concise reply to my question.

7. findus

findus Member

Only too glad to help mate,, anytime.

8. findus

findus Member

Here is some more info pasted from an old thread.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a few PMs about the breakwater at B/island recently, asking about how to get there etc. Just for anybody else's benefit here is a reply with some info.
    DIRECTIONS/INFO - BURNTISLAND

Once you get into Burntisland head for the high street and go right down the bottom towards the train station. Here you will see an entrance for the harbour. drive in and turn to your left and follow the road right around to a big blue industrial shed that sits just in front of a long concrete wall. Over the wall is the breakwater that stretches for about a 1/2 mile. The rocks here are quite steep and shelve down onto a kelp bed. casting about 40yds out will clear the kelp in most areas and land you onto soft ground,, the closer you are to the rocks the more species you will catch. Ledgering,floatfishing, and freelining all work well here as well as spinning.
    Best all round bait is ragworm with lugworm doing not too bad also.. Mussel and mackerel work as well. the biggest mistake here is to launch a 5oz weight and 4/0 hook out to the horizon and then stand up at the wall. I get much better results with a light rod and fishing as close to the water as i can ( keeping safety in mind )... The heaviest weight i will go here is 3oz and thats only in windy conditions. i actually prefer floatfishing or freelining. If nothing happens after a while then move about until you find the fish. I find the lammerlaws end better for codling ( more kelp ) but anywhere along the entire length will produce.... WINTER: cod,whiting,dab coalies + others... SUMMER: mackerel,cod,coalies,pollack,wrasse + others..

If anybody requires any additional info i will be only glad to help... Findus...

9. philbert

philbert Member

Well i got there last night about 2 hrs before high tide. There were a few folks spinning but they didnt seem to catch anything and left not long after i had finished my chips. anyhoo i got set up near the blue shed and set up a baited rod. once that was in the water i set about spinning with my other rod.
    within no time 8 mackies and it was time to go home a happy man!

10. findus

findus Member

Nice one mate - thats good to hear :thumbs:

11. fifenewbie

fifenewbie Member

i got 3 from the harbour entrance and my friend 4 last night.The 2 seals that were there were a pain in the rear though.