Casting low butt or high.
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Casting low butt or high.

Discussion in 'Casting' started by Jordan price, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jordan price

Jordan price Member

Hello just starting yo get pack into the sport after 6 years of no fishing just got a century tip tornando and a spinfisher 7500LC just wanted to ask whats the best way to get a long cast reel high or low im right handed and I always used to cast reel high but recently saw pictures of people casting with the reel low is it just what feels most comfortable or does it give you a advantage. Tbankyou for any help and tips btw.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John Ritson

John Ritson Member

Your choice as the tournament field has shown no real advantage of either method.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jackjock

jackjock Member

I fish reel down with back casting with a decent size fixed spool reel . Ok every one to there own but I think its easier reeling in and your out fit is more balanced with the reel at the bottom

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chukka

chukka Member

I like it up !

Multiplier down though.

Try both and use whatever works for you. If using fixed spool high you may find the bottom ring on the rod is too close to the reel, you ideally need 4ft or more.

5. Bill Bajaj

Bill Bajaj Member

For fixed spool its up for me.!
    For multiplier its both down n up but interestingly i just changed to high reel multiplier after ten years.! n i found oit i could actually pull/punch much harder than on low reel ! Now with the low reel youve got this 6-9in butt sticking out so it kinds of prevents you from getting a proper firm pull butt-into-chest PULL.! Now with the high reel theres no sticking out butt its just your left hand holding right at the bottom end of butt enabling you to have that super snappy pull/punch right into chest area nice n sharp !
    Just my opinion buds
    Cheers-Bill

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. g-force

g-force Member

Both multi & fixed spool reel-up for me! Something I've found since using braid on the bigger f/s the last couple of years is that the direction the line comes off fixed spools seems to have a lot to do with it. By that I mean that when casting (right handed, using my right forefinger to hold the line) the line is being pulled in towards my finger, making it much easier to hang onto, even when casting hard. I remember from when I tried backcasting big fixed spools about 40 yrs ago (horrible things compared to today's models!) and using the reel down the butt controlling it with my left hand, it was much harder to hang on as the line (mono back then) was being pulled away from my finger. In the end I resorted to using something similar to what jackjock (I think) has illustrated in the past - a small piece of tubing lashed to the rod that I would trap the line against with my finger. I tried one of the early Breakaway plastic thumbuttons but just couldn't get away with it and it didn't last long anyway.

I think this may be why a lot of people, especially those casting reel down, employ some sort of casting aid like the cannon or trigger etc. as otherwise you really have to try to hang on using your finger & can suffer a more jerky release. Using my right hand reel up I just use a finger-stall that I knocked up from a riggers glove (made 4, one from each finger) that I can tuck up my sleeve and have no issues just hooking the line with my fingertip when casting - release is just a case of straightening my finger and is more of a subconscious thing, just happens automatically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1