Casting Tuition | Page 5
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Casting Tuition

Discussion in 'Casting' started by BillyFISHING, Nov 15, 2007.

1. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Not much although I'm coaching here in Bournemouth between 10 and 12.30

2. Stupidluke

Stupidluke

Could you do another session about 2pm? I have to drop my daughter and her mate at Thorpe park around midday wait around and collect her late evening. I was thinking of combining a lesson with you and a visit to Christchurch Angling but even with my driving I won't cover the 80 miles from Thorpe park to Bournemouth in 30 minutes.

3. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Glad we met up hopefully you enjoyed the session and now have something you can work with !!!!!

4. Stupidluke

Stupidluke

Thanks Colin, it was good to meet you. Really enjoyable session and we dodged the rain by literally a couple of minutes. Until this year I had never seen proper pendulum casting. I had seen a few guys using a truncated fishing style pendulum on the beach, usually without regard to anyone fishing near them. So for the last few months I have made the effort to get down to Kent Sportscast at least monthly and hoped that spending time with some of the most proficient casters in the UK would solve all my problems.

This has been a partial success. I have learned to cast a bit further but only enough to reach the next plateau. Watching the top casters is inspiring but baffling too as each have their own style and the gap between them and me seems insurmountable, which it probably is. The Kent guys are helpful and happy to offer advice but sometime the advice is confusing or even contradictory to someone at my level. Especially someone as competitive as me that just wants to hit the cast harder and earlier to make up for any deficit in technique.

Spending time with a coach was, for me, money and time well spent. Colin immediately identified some faults with my stance and set up for the OTG and revised them. It was instantly noticeable how much smoother and more effortless the cast felt. I could really feel the rod (Century C Curve) compressing and firing the lead away with the reel running smoother. Probably a poor analogy but it felt that the lead was fired from a catapult rather than hurled like a boomerang. It was hard to judge distance as I was casting into a stiff onshore wind, with a fishing reel (6500 sportsmag with magnets halfway on) and .35mm line but it definitely felt like a big step forward and hopefully one I can build on with practise.

Onto the pendulum, which is the cast I have most issues with and again some small changes (alright quite big changes :oops:) from Colin and some time spent on simple drills paid off with some effortless feeling casts heading nice and straight seawards. I still have a lot of hours to put into the pendulum before I will be confident with it but thanks to Colin I have the chance to practise in the right way now.

As I don't get down to Bournemouth area much I had to add in a visit to Christchurch Angling to stock up on a few bits we cant buy over the counter here in Kent. The £100 I spent might seem a bit frivolous but I think it was very restrained as some of those Veret rods were giving me the eye and the credit card was trying to climb out of my pocket.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dmacca

Dmacca Member

Hi are there any casting tutors in the North Wales area please?

6. oneready

oneready Member

I have not see any post of any here . Blackpool is the nearest that I have seen .

7. Stupidluke

Stupidluke

There probably are but not all are techie enough to be on the internet forums. The way it used to work was that you telephoned Sea Angler magazine and they gave you the contact details of a few decent casters in your area that were registered to instruct. Maybe give that a try first.

If the magazine is no longer willing to offer any help then have a look at UKSF clubs near you and go along to one of their monthly practise days. They won't bite you, or laugh at you, or waive their 250 yard plus willys at you. I can guarantee they will be casting in an empty field and will be only too keen to encourage anyone that shares their interest or needs their help. That was certainly the case for me when I went to Kent Sportscast and I am sure it will be the same for you.

8. oneready

oneready Member

there are meant to be some lads casting around Blackpool , but I can not find where they are , + what you might want is help , i.e. new to beach casting and getting 50- 70 yds and just want to go 150 +

9. Shaun mcconnell

Shaun mcconnell Member

Hi, l'm looking for some casting tuition in Dorset (weymouth) getting back into beach fishing and want to master the multiplier!!!
    Thanks

10. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Take a look at www.castyourlead.com

11. Shaun mcconnell

Shaun mcconnell Member

Went on a casting lesson with Colin Olver of "Castyourlead.com" ,we met up at abbotsbury where he gave me some great advice on setting up and using a multiplier....l have been fishing for a long time mainly boat but wanted to go back to beach fishing after a 12year gap!.
    Got to the basics of the OTG cast and it was so nice to feel the rod working rather than the heaving and grunt l used to do!.
    Colin is a great guy very helpful and will point you the right way before picking up bad habits!
    Thanks Colin
    If you are looking to improve your casting what ever level you are check out www.castyourlead.com

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pontyboy62

Pontyboy62 Member

Another good contact for info on casting instructors all over is:

Etchells, Stephanie . [email protected]

13. TheBass

TheBass Member

Anyone willing to give casting lessons to a relative newbie in North Norfolk please

14. Archie_82

Archie_82 Member

Does anyone know of a Cornwall based casting coach who can provide lessons for a beginner?

15. Led

Led Member

C
    contact Cain Plumb from Norfolk Casting Club (Bircham Newton)

16. All rounder

All rounder Member

I would be interested in this

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gipsydavy

Gipsydavy Member

Anyone know of any "good" casting tutors in the Hull area pls?

• Disagree Disagree x 1