century rods with fixed spool reels ?
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

century rods with fixed spool reels ?

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by onmycod, Jan 29, 2011.

1. onmycod

onmycod Member

just wondered if there is anyone who uses any century rods with a fixed spool reel and what are there thoughts on the best model . im looking to purchase some new rods and like the look of the centurys but i have been told that they are mainly designed for multipliers and the pendulum cast , im more of a lob it out over the shoulder caster and only ever used fixed spool reels .

2. glasgowdan

glasgowdan Member

You can use any of them with fixed spools, but bear in mimnd the reel seat has the coaster which is awkward for fixed spool use. It's just a different type of reel - the rod still fishes the same.

3. big spurrie

big spurrie Member

Hi Bud!
    Yes you can use a fixed spool on any rod, i use multi's 99% of the time but i also use a f/s from time to time. Just change the reel seat for one without coasters and you'll be ok.

Hope this helps! Cheers! John:bye1:

4. onmycod

onmycod Member

cheers guys , any thoughts on the best models , at the moment i have been looking at the tip tornados , reading the info on the century website and taking into consideration what size of leads and where i fish im torn between the match / supermatch and sport . any thoughts ?

5. big spurrie

big spurrie Member

What kind of ground will you be fishing? Clean, mixed, rough? Big/fast tides.
    There isn't a bad Century, sometimes people buy the wrong rod for the type of fishing they do. Take your time and do your homework.

Cheers! John

6. onmycod

onmycod Member

mostly clean to mixed ground john and and fish big/fast tides occasionally , i have been thinking about rod choices for the last 2 weeks and seem to have read everything available on the internet , i have looked at the t.t match but as i very often use 6 & 7 oz leads didnt think this would be quite up to it .

7. ASSASSIN2020

ASSASSIN2020 BASSIN ASSASSIN

i have 3 century rods rung for fixed spool 2 r very powerful (but thats y i need them) any of the century rods can b custom built at an extra cost for fixed spool, if ur using 6 and 7oz leads the tip tornado sport or one of the kompressors (mine are a wr300,fireblade BC, and formula bass) they do the job i got them for perfectly well,

8. WOTNOBAIT

WOTNOBAIT Member

The century carbon metal blackbird was designed for use with multipliers or fixed spool. The mark 1 version even had the guide spacings and guide sizes for use with both.
    I think the newer version however has BNHG guides and looks more like a multiplier guides. However as the blank was designed for both , you know you can have it built up for fixed spool ..no problem.
    Its an equal section 15 footer.
    Another rod that can successfully be used for fixed spool is the century carbon metal express but you would need to have it ringed up for fixed spools ideally. Although not ideal, you can use a fixed spool on a multiplier rod because the ring spacings are close enough together but not quite large enough for coils of line coming off your fixed spool.
    You can't however use a multiplier reel on a rod rung for fixed spools because the rings are too far apart and as the multiplier reel is on top of the rod when reeling in the large space between the rings makes the line rub against the rod blank.
    :bye1::bye1:

9. glasgowdan

glasgowdan Member

It's nowhre near as black and white as that. You CAN use a multi on a rod ringed for fixed spool, though it's not ideal it will still fish quite happily.

You CAN very much fish a fixed spool on a rod rung for multi. Smaller closer guides suit fixed spools very well as it keeps the flapping coils down to a minimum. I suggest it works equally as well as larger fewer guides.

10. wizzywilson

wizzywilson Member

If you only lob it over your shoulder then you want a rod that bends easily. I only cast off ground and find that the cccld suits me perfectly, as others have said the bite detection is not super sensitive but its never been a problem for me. I reckon it would suit a fixed spool really well - but i would re-ring it.

11. WOTNOBAIT

WOTNOBAIT Member

The key word being IDEAL. :bye1:

12. big spurrie

big spurrie Member

If you're often casting 7oz i'd look at the sport, the ccl/d is another one worth considering great for casting but not the best bite detection.
    My no1 would be the sport!
    If you're not looking for distance then don't worry about re-ringing for a f/spool, it'll be fine.

Cheers! John

13. onmycod

onmycod Member

cheers for the help john

14. DAVE H

DAVE H Member

get your century rods in blank form and have them built by a good rod builder
    I have had two built over the years i had a CME built for genral fishing and a WR300 for heavy ground work and big leads 7oz plus.
    GET them built for fixed spool and there is no compermize

15. BassBE

BassBE Member

I use my SRE 4,69m with a fixed spool. Just glued a reel seat on mine and some Fuji Low rider guides, it's great for clean ground fishing with braid.

16. nicknwales

nicknwales Member

Personaly all this multi/fs rods is a ad mans dream and for fishing uses I don't really think theres a massive difference in the majority of rods....
    For what you've said the TT supermatch is really a brilliant rod.
    I use a komp for rough stuff but Ill use my supermatch also for my multi hook rigs and its fine.
    IMHO a true allrounder..........

17. simoniow

simoniow Member

My mate uses the new style`s tt sport for heavy and tt match for general fishing with his fixed spool`s , he has just turned the century reel seat upside down so that the coaster is out of the way and it works fine , standard factory build , the top end fixed spools throw off small coils of line he has never had a problem with line slap etc

18. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

use boh TT lite and TT ultralite with a fixed spool (4 cod on the ultralite last night), can just turn the century reel seat upsidedown so the coasters front top or just fit a fuji as ive done, couldnt care less bout the ringing, not a tourney caster so it dont matter 1 bit.

learnt to pendulum on the lite with a FS too.

19. krackoff chris

krackoff chris KRACKPOT CHRIS

my mate bought the komp ss ,he just had it re whipped for fs set up all fine ,