World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Demise of Avington

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fishermann 
#1 ·
Fished avington the other day, didn't see a fish worth stalking, the fish we had were standard stockies bang on 4 lbs, all long and thin, someone should tell the young nipper fishery management involves more than riding round on a quad bike, lots of fungus on the fish in the lakes and a few dead un's, seems they are only stocking lake 2.

#2 ·
Not enough punters in the winter to warrant putting in some good stock !
Even in it's heyday it was stocked according to what fishing mag was doing a feature there and then there was the early morning scramble for lunker corner !
I recall looking in the stew with the 20lb+ fish and saying to a friend " like to put a line in there ?" , a passing Avington worker said " If you've got enough cash you can !":rolleyess:

Still no excuse for letting the fish already stocked get thin ! Plenty of trout pellets around the place !

#3 ·
i remember when sam holland worked there saw a 44lb rainbow awesome
my brother fished it quite a few times with charles jarden
was great then shame its going down hill

#6 ·
I fished Avington a month or so back. Never again. Three fish about 3 and a quarter pounds and one at 4 and a quarter. Stock fishing. Not worth the cost. Was hoping to break my 9Lb record from some years back. Every man there caught his bag. Went dead by about midday. Alternatively, I fished Hazel Copse fishery for the first time in that pouring rain Monday a few weeks back. Lost two and landed a bluey and a 'bow. They were very light takers and both fish in the net spat out the hooks. Sizewise, about the same as Avington and half the cost. Hazel Copse allows catch and release after catching your limit so the day isn't done if you get your limit in the first hour. Old Wilf the farmer/owner is easy on rules and we can fish virtually any method we want. Team flies, curtains, boobies etc. I found nymphs were killing and others were taking on buzzers. Wilf said he has a big problem with signal crayfish and they are "big bu**ers too!" He's happy to catch some for you if you are a regular and ask him in advance. Crayfish are tasty eating.

#7 ·
I fished Avington a month or so back. Never again. Three fish about 3 and a quarter pounds and one at 4 and a quarter. Stock fishing. Not worth the cost. Was hoping to break my 9Lb record from some years back. Every man there caught his bag. Went dead by about midday. Alternatively, I fished Hazel Copse fishery for the first time in that pouring rain Monday a few weeks back. Lost two and landed a bluey and a 'bow. They were very light takers and both fish in the net spat out the hooks. Sizewise, about the same as Avington and half the cost. Hazel Copse allows catch and release after catching your limit so the day isn't done if you get your limit in the first hour. Old Wilf the farmer/owner is easy on rules and we can fish virtually any method we want. Team flies, curtains, boobies etc. I found nymphs were killing and others were taking on buzzers. Wilf said he has a big problem with signal crayfish and they are "big bu**ers too!" He's happy to catch some for you if you are a regular and ask him in advance. Crayfish are tasty eating.
i taught 3 of mates how to trout fish at hazel
all caught doubles
but i did get a 6lb salmon lols

#9 ·
think the day of trout fisheries like these are over
no money in them if u get good trout fishers

#10 ·
I used to do a bit of Trout fishing but all the waters in a reasonable distance from me would not allow catch and release. I don't eat Trout and couldn't even give them away so I gave it up rather than kill fish that would only end up going in the bin! I think that a lot of fisheries were just trying to squeeze every last penny they could out of Anglers and killed off their own livelihoods.

#12 ·
I used to love Avington but agree its not got the same appeal anymore, such a shame, I love my trout fishing but need to look else where but where??...… I used to fish Bewl Bridge but that's gone any method and ruined by certain idiots, I used to fish lakedown but that's not the same anymore either, I think the above have it right, there is not the money in it anymore so the attraction of knowing there are doubles in the waters has lost its appeal when they are in fact only skinny stockies and if your lucky a 3lb / 4lb !! I think most are happy to pay good money but we expect decent fish in return, cheers Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.