difference between multi rod and fixed spool rod.
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

difference between multi rod and fixed spool rod.

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by bretty1984, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bretty1984

bretty1984 Member

im looking at buying the shakespeare 12ft tidewater multiplier full carbon beach caster rod as it is on offer in the glasgow angling centre.

the question i have is what is the difference between a rod made for a multi and a rod made for fixed spool?
    this rod is made for a multi but im not sure if i would feel comfortable casting with it,my reason for thinking this is that im sure the reel sits closer to the butt of the rod. am i right in thinking this?if this is the case then there wouldnt be any room for me to put my left hand at the bottom of the rod and my right hand on my multiplier.

am i missing something or have i thought correct?

2. JimmyC

JimmyC Member

The reel position you can adjust yourself normally.
    Alot of people mount a multiplier nearer the butt end but you can mount a fixed spool or a multiplier up the butt as required.
    Just remember if it is a multiplier rod it will have more and smaller rings than is perfect for a fixed spool.

Jim

3. sweeper driver

sweeper driver Guest

You can also use a fixed spool reel down the butt, I always used to use mine low mounted, it makes life a lot easier on the retrieve.
    Right hand up the butt, left hand controlling the reel....if you are left handed just reverse the hand positions. It's also easier to cast with a fixed spool mounted low on the butt.

4. bretty1984

bretty1984 Member

here is a pic of the rod albeit a littel vague but this is the fitting it comes with
    [​IMG]
    , can this fitting be moved to the same sort of distance up the rod as a normal fixed spool fitting?
    also will my abu 6500c power handle fit this rod ok?

5. JimmyC

JimmyC Member

Its coaster fittings.
    They will be OK with your 6500 but will not hold a fixed spool reel securely

Jim

6. JimmyC

JimmyC Member

I always did, I found it easier.

Jim

7. bretty1984

bretty1984 Member

so just to clear this up before i go ahead and order it. these fittings will be able to move a little further up the rod?

8. bretty1984

bretty1984 Member

anyone?
    sorry for being a pain!!

9. Issy

Issy Member

Coaster will move anywhere along the butt, You will find the using a fixed spool with coasters difficult, I have replaced the coasters with an adjustable screw fitting that you can buy ( make sure you get the right size) and I can change between multi or fixed spool as I want.

10. bretty1984

bretty1984 Member

thanks everyone gonna go ahead and order it now!

11. Fisherdan32

Fisherdan32 Member

if you do have problems with coasters you can always buy a reel seat, which will comfortably hold a fixed spool and multiplier.

12. Swifty49

Swifty49 Guest

The most important difference between a multi and an FS rod is not the reel fixing but the size and spacing of the rings. This is very different on a FS rod and a multiplier rod. Multiplier ringing involves using more and smaller rings and FS ringing uses less and larger rings. Don't us a fixed spool reel on a rod ringed for a multiplier as you will not get best performance and may get crack-offs when casting.

13. OHTer

OHTer Smut Hunter

better advice, i think, is to not use a multiplier on a rod rung for fixed spool. FS on a multi rod you can get away with. Best advice though, buy a rod thats rung for both, a hybrid of sorts :thumbs:

14. smiley73

smiley73 Mussel Man

shown clearly here...

[​IMG]

right rod is a hybrid for both, left is a dedicated fixed spool rod. i dont think you would have to worry too much about crack-off's, but you would loose some distance as there would be more friction/drag on the spirals of line coming off the fixed spool through a smaller first ring.

although plenty of people use multi rods with fixed spool quite happily!

hth, al.

now there's an idea ive never thought about!!
    cheers for adding that, ill give that a crack next time im down the range ;)