Fixed spool on multiplier rod help
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Fixed spool on multiplier rod help

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by johnsy1953, Nov 22, 2011.

1. johnsy1953

johnsy1953 Member

Hi guy.s as the heading reads thinking of buying a century or zziplex rod
    but they are all rung for multipliers.I use fixed spool reels do you think a fixed spool would work o.k. with the smaller eyes and will they reduce my casting distance a great deal,i'm sure other people would be interesed in your views as quality rods alway's are rung for multiplier use
    but a lot of people use fixed spool reels your veiws would greatly appreciated thank's, Johnsy

2. karlos

karlos Member

Although not the ideal combo. Yes you can use a FS reel on a rod rung for a multi. Unless you are competively casting it is very unlikely the loss in distance(if you even notice any) is going to hamper you in anyway.

Though If you are adamant you want to stick to using a coffee grinder and are buying new why not just get it built with a FS ring pattern.

3. benjoma

benjoma TEAM FORESHORE

hi mate you are right that a fixed spool caster using a multi rod will affect your distance but if your adamant you want a zippy or century then if your buying from new then ask in the shop if they can get it rung for a fixed spool i'm sure they would do it, hope this helps mate

4. bray1002

bray1002 Member

5. simoniow

simoniow Member

I have 6 different zzipplex that where rung for multiplyers , when I changed over to fixed spool couple of years ago I did not want to have them rebuilt so used them as they are . I have not had a problem with ring slap etc and the distance is not dramatically reduced in fishing conditions. The most important thing is to use a top end fixed spool with slow oscilation line lay and you shouldn`t have a problem. Distance wise I can still hit over 230yds on the field with this set up and if you want to sell the rod on it is still built for a multi

6. stewpot

stewpot Member

Don't mean to hijack but if you alternate between a fixed spool and a multiplier on the same rod does that damage the rod in anyway? I mean it's being used reel down one session and then reel up on the next.

I used to think not but wondered what others thought. My rod snapped on the cast last week, it's rung for a multiplier and I mostly use a multi on it, but I have used a fixed spool on it as well. Now I'm wondering if it's because I stressed the rod in some way:confused::

It was only a couple of months old as well.

7. simoniow

simoniow Member

Shouldn`t make a difference mate I chop and change mine , I would send the rod back

8. johnsy1953

johnsy1953 Member

Good information is alway's welcome cheers guy's think I wll get a second hand century metal I got my eyes on it is mulit rung but will give it a go thanks again anymore info or views on this please post
    thanks Johnsy

9. johnsy1953

johnsy1953 Member

what make rod was it was it a sonic

10. stewpot

stewpot Member

No, it wasn't a Sonik - maybe if it had have been, it wouldn't have broken.

11. Gimmeabite

Gimmeabite Member

You'll struggle to see a difference using a f/s on a multi rod, all my rods are multi rung apart from one and the multi/fs set up will always go past the fs/fs set up (Diawa Supercast 13ft rg).

Makes sense imo to stick to a multi rod as if you ever go over to multi reels you won't have to be looking for re-builds/new rods.

Makes not a jot of difference to casting or fishing imo.

12. Rads!

Rads! Member

I have a sonik 3 f/s rung but its mega stiff. Really don't feel comfortable at all casting, anybody else feel same ?

13. ijjwsg

ijjwsg Member

I have all my rods rung for multiplier reels - both Zziplexes & Centurys. I usually cast reel down with a multiplier but on some occasions I use fixed spools with braid. I've had no problems at all and casting distance is not noticably impaired & no trouble with line catching on the first ring. So unless you are buying from scratch or doing a rebuild then you can use a standard multiplier rung rod with the fixed spool. I must admit my fixed spool reels are quailty with relatively narrow spools.

14. BILLBO

BILLBO Member

I dont have any problems at all using fs on my multi rung rods but I dont need to cast more than 200 yards. After several birds nests the only time I use multis is boat fishing when you dont need to cast far.

15. g4jnw

g4jnw Member

Interesting thread, I have a rod which is built as a multiplier but just can't get away with the multiplier reel so have gone back to fixed spool.
    I was gonna try and swap the combo but after reading this thread may just sell the reel.

1 question I have is what about the reel seat? as its on the wrong side for a fixed reel do you have to change the seat?

16. g4jnw

g4jnw Member

Just realised after the posting, its a abu stigma rod and didn't realise that the reel mount is moveable so turned it around and will try it with a fixed spool today and if it works ok will keep it and just sell the reel - thanks Ian for emailing as it prompted me to have a close look at the rod

17. speedmaster2

speedmaster2 Member

If you're getting a Century then look for a mk1 blackbird (2pc, 15ft length) as the rings on it are set up so it can be used with either multi or fixed spool. I've got one and only used it with a multi and it gets a good distance without the need for fancy casting. I don't know how the mk2 versions are set up ring wise but am told they are set up differently and different make rings.

18. g4jnw

g4jnw Member

Tested today and no difference in casting (am not the worlds best by any means) so will keep the rod and use it with my fixed spool.