Float fishing
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Float fishing

Discussion in 'North East Catch Reports' started by Anthony Logan, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Anthony Logan

Anthony Logan Member

Hi, Iv'e fancied trying float fishing as ive never done this before, does anyone know if blyth harbour or any decent places around northumberland would be worth a go? would it matter if it was high or low water if your going off a pier?

cheers.

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  2. BykerToon

BykerToon Member

plenty people trying blyth harbour but nowt doing been there 3 times now for mackerel , 3 blanks :(:(:(
    better off on pier's or mouth of tyne for mackerel (high water). or rock edges for pollack wrasse etc (low water).

3. Anthony Logan

Anthony Logan Member

i went down blyth harbour a few days ago and got a load of small whiting and one flounder, but just using flapper rig with bluey as bait, just fancied trying the float for a change. thanks for the info :)

4. Oli95

Oli95 Member

Float fishing is great fun and you can do it almost anywhere and scaled up/down appropriately, you can catch just about anything on the float. I've not fished in Blyth harbour but I've tried further up at peeping toms and the pier, both of which you can float fish from.
    Depending on what you want to fish for, set your depth to either the bottom for flatties/eels or slightly off the bottom for coalies/whiting or up near the top for macks. Fishing nearer structure like pier legs is good for ambush predators or fish that reside around structure, as well as the fact that if the bottom is quite rough, you can adjust the depth to fish just above the snags.
    I use a float stop knot instead of elastic band as the bands can get stuck in the rings of the rod restricting casting as well as the fact that rubber bands don't last too long in UV light or saltwater.

This should be a useful read, it shows how imaginative you can be if you target your quarry:
    https://www.planetseafishing.com/greatham-creek-flounder-tactics-and-tricks/

If you fancy bigger stuff, try rocks that have a bit of depth and/or with lots of kelp. A popular destination is St Abbs or Eyemouth, but you dont have to go that far. Slippy Limpets did a YouTube video on float fishing up that way a couple of weeks ago if you have the time:

If nothing else, it beats your baits getting stripped by crabs in 2 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Anthony Logan

Anthony Logan Member

Thanks for in the info, the video was a good watch too, i went to my local tackle shop and they didn't have any float rigs left in stock, should get sorted in a couple days :D

Cheers.

6. bamburghbreaker

bamburghbreaker Member

I like to float fish off fairly deep rock marks and have had Pollock, Coalie, Rockling and Codling with a float. I generally use prawns though I hear a wriggling ragworm is the most effective. I've never caught a single thing using fish baits on a float for some reason and I have never caught a wrasse yet which was the whole point of me trying it. That and a bass is all I want this summer !

• Like Like x 1