From daiwa 7ht to penn mag 3 help
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

From daiwa 7ht to penn mag 3 help

Discussion in 'Casting' started by Jeffsketchy, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Jeffsketchy

Jeffsketchy Member

I'm after some help I've recently treated my self to a penn mag 3 afte rising my black daiwa 7ht but I'm little confused on my daiwa when I tighten the brake the reel doesn't move freely so I set up my mag3 (turn the right side nob so there's a little play init and then put my brakes on full) after doing that and testing with a weight it just flys off and can't seem to feel any resistance if that makes sense or does the mag brakes only kicking once the cast is started any help would be great as I'm planning on a trip out tonight

2. Smir

Smir Member

I think you may be confusing these reels with lure fishing multipliers.

Lure fishing requires the reel to run just enough to let the weight of the lure turn the spool and to avoid a 'birdie'. This is due to the low weight of a lure.

Distance casting reels (Mag 3 and 7HT) need to run at a much higher speed from the 'off' and be able to feed a high velocity lead over a much longer distance. Hence the lack of resistance.

The Mag 3 magnet is very effective, and on max mag it will slow the spool dramatically. If unsure, only fill the spool to within 3-4mm of the brim to avoid catastrophe.

3. Jeffsketchy

Jeffsketchy Member

Thanks for your help, went out last night with it for the first time backed off the magnets one click and off it went with no bird nests to be seen lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smir

Smir Member

Glad to hear of the success.

Ive had my mag3s for a while now, and can gauge what setting needed, given the wind conditions, to avoid over-run.

I have got 7ht mags too, and very impressed with the mag control. Not had long so still assessing the level of mag for wind conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jeffsketchy

Jeffsketchy Member

If I could pick your Brian's abit again on my mag3 there's a black collar behind the star drag and Ives noticed abit of play in that area is this normal thank you

6. Smir

Smir Member

When the star drag is fully unwound, a little wobble is normal in the whole handle assembly, but there should be no wobble when drag is applied.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Jeffsketchy

Jeffsketchy Member

Brill thank you