GT knot
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

GT knot

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by MrE, Jun 18, 2020.

1. MrE

MrE Member

I know that most anglers who fish the bigger Palegic and other destination fish tie the FG knot and it’s recognised as one of the best or the best knot to tie Braid/Mono.

has anyone used this or tied it for stuff like Cubara/GT/smaller Tuna/

Here’s a link to the GT knot. Be interested in people thoughts on it. I know the FG is most go to knot, but interested in opinion on this knot specifically.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. waldo_one2

waldo_one2 Member

FG knot is the easiest for me.......

However for the big stuff I get the bobbin out and tie a PR knot. Never had one fail on me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Batenberg

Batenberg Member

I use the FG for every thing, I use it for 2kg to 100kg line. I've had every thing from 1 lb whiting to 400lb shsrks.. I've never had the knot break

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Serge

Serge Member

FG only here as well, never failed.
    It seems to me this GT knot would be rather bulky with heavier leaders and therefor not suitable for casting lures at big fish..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrE

MrE Member

I don’t usually let my knot go through the guides, so short 1 metres leader is OK. Bulky knot is fair point though. The GT uses the Mono part to stop the braid slipping through so it would be bigger with say 80lb leader.

That was the type of info I was looking for. I know how much the FG is loved. Just looking for an alternative if I have an issue on the go.

I am also interested as the Hobie cat skippers I know do not tie an FG and I would like to know what one they use. I will ask next time LOL.

6. baino

baino Member

The FG will be good for almost anything. It'll go through your guides without popping out the liners too.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the optimist

the optimist Member

I’ve tried them all and fg if tied properly is best for me- whenever braid is connected to fluoro or nylon fir tropical fish. Only time I go different is leader knot when beachcasting in UK - don’t know why I’ve never used fg for that. Probably just habit

8. piker20

piker20 Member

Member from here landed skate with the gt knot. It doesn't like going through small guides though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jerseyman

Jerseyman Member

GT knot? its a basic figure 8-uni knot standard leader knot. tied poorly as well. the tag on the thick blue stuff came off at 90' to the knot and only flattened out when pulled to the n'th degree. I wouldn't trust that normal fishing let alone serious stuff!!

Depending on guides/rings used, you really are at the limit with standard knots at around .9/1mm leader otherwise it sounds terrifying let alone the guide liner exploding if the tag is too long.
    Bigger guides can help ,but then you come up against blank recovery and tip weight
    Braid to mono connections that rely on the braid to constrict the mono in some way are always at risk of failure simply due to the braid cutting thru under pressure.
    As above, irrespective of size. braid to mono is FG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jerseyman

Jerseyman Member

following on from your comment about skippers using different knots, if you are not casting, use a link and tie 2 knots one each side, rather than connect straight? solid jigging ring or butterfly ring for example?
    Also, if the species targeted are " smaller" than exotic ones, I would be using gear balanced toward that , so the same criteria apply for me. use the best connection available =FG ,irrespective of gear

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. MrE

MrE Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have tied the GT on my home lure setup and will see what happens. Leader will not be going through the guides. As most of you say FG is the preferred knot for my destination guys.