Heavy lure rod.
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Heavy lure rod.

Discussion in 'Freshwater & Saltwater Lure Fishing.' started by gadusmorhua, Jul 3, 2020.

1. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

I'm after a heavier lure rod for my bass fishing. I have an HTO that throws 10-45 (but feels like it's pushing it at the top end), but I'd like something that could whack out heavy metals, when required, so I'm thinking 10-60. It is asking a lot but I would want it to still cast smaller lures well, as I often have a trek to my marks, and don't want to take two rods.. I wouldn't want to spend much more than a £100 either, hopefully less.

2. NIrishDane

NIrishDane Member

Probably better posting this in the Bass thread section at the top of the the lure sub forum. You would be right in saying 10-60g is a big ask because I havent seen any 'bass' lure lods to that rating. I do have an 8ft 10-60g lure rod though but its a teklon and they dont make them anymore unfortunately :( might be able to pick one up online if your lucky

3. JonD

JonD Member

Do you have Daiwa saltist coastal rods over there. They are relatively cheap here and Awsome rods with a 6-1olb rating and recommend lure weight of 14-50g. The more progressive action flicks lures an incredible distance with ease. They are two piece and though they feel fantastic with a fish of just 1lb they can also handle far bigger sporting fish up around 30-40lb ( or at least so far ). By the way these prices are Aus dollars which are roughly 2/1, also this is rrp, shop prices have been half that at times depending on promotions at the time. This would certainly be a rod I would love to use bass fishing around the IOW where I used to live.

I dare say the bait and sinker setups my son has used after dark are close to tripling the lure weight of 50g recommended.

IMG_4393.PNG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks Jon, the Saltist is a little more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds just what I want, especially as you say they are still fun with smaller fish. I'm not afraid to admit that most of the bass I catch are schoolies, so that's important to me.

5. garwed

garwed Member

i use a teklon concept 10m 15-60gm for heavy lure fishing ,fast fine tip action , no lightweight at 8;7ozs but does the job well, I changed reel fitting to suit me as was to long , worth a look veals stock most models, think they are real good blanks jap Toray carbon?,casts metals miles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. sergeï

sergeï Member

i have always a spare rod in the car in case of...
    daiwa lexa spin 1002MH 300 cm/175 g 30/60 gr but realy is 15/50-55 : for the price (find it at 75 euro) , it's a good one ;) . I use it when i'm on the rocks at night , don't want to break my dialuna .

• Like Like x 1
  7. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks, I'll check that out.

8. rockhopper 1956

rockhopper 1956 The cheeky Essex lure fisher

if i was u id look for an afaw spin rod
    ie the mark 1
    ive got one its awesome
    pick one up around a ton
    its a beast

9. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks everyone, I've ended up buying a used Sure Spin 11ft, made by Daiwa for Veals. Apart from the casting weight the extra length will make it adaptable on my long trek spots, where I only want to carry one rod. Yes, it's an old rod, and may not be as zippy as the modern jap rods, but I've got a feeling it will be very useful.

10. murpho

murpho Member

Don't want to dampen your spirits but keep an eye on the top ring they had a habit of coming off when casting but they where a good rod had one myself ended up using araldite to keep ring on

11. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks, I'll check that out, and may even fit a different pattern, I'll know when I get it. I had to do that on my HTO LureGame, because I found the tip ring snagged braid easily. Oh, and all the rings are prone to corrosion.:thumbsdown:

12. Battered

Battered Member

There are some lure rods in the for sale section, brand new Nomura rods. There's 3 metre rod that chucks up to 90g, and a couple of 3.3 metre rods that chuck between 70-130g. :thumbsup:

13. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

My SureSpin MkII turned up today, and I'm delighted with it. Coupled with the Stradic/.16 braid it casts really well. I tried a savage gear 35g metal sandeel, and that absolutely flew, but not such a good test. I then tried a dolive stick, one of the slightly chubbier, heavier ones. I'm not sure what they weigh but what I am sure of is that it went a good 13m further (all measured) than my 8ft Lure Game I tend to use in the estuary. The rod is rated 15-60, and certainly performs well at the lower end. An old fashioned type rod that you can feel load, and catapult the lure out. I'm delighted, and think I deserve to christen it with a five pounder. (I set my sights low to avoid disappointment)
    Thanks for all your input all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. doug

doug Member

comes with case.
    New never used bought for a trip that was canceled.
    £125[​IMG] including shipment within UK
    The fitted lenght is 300cm
    closed including case 85cm
    max casting wt 150gms.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020