Led Lenser MH10 Review
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Led Lenser MH10 Review

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by Black Tide, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Black Tide

Black Tide Guest

Evening guys, here is a review I wrote the other week for the MH10:

"I tend to go fishing every month of the year, in just about every weather condition imaginable here in the UK and abroad. From camping in Norway’s Arctic winter, to angling in tropical climes using lures at night for pelagic species, though the vast majority of it goes on in England and Scotland. One thing remains constant, I do a lot of fishing, hiking, and climbing at night and I need light, lots of it at times.
    1.jpg
    I have used plenty of torches from various manufacturers in the past including many by Led Lenser. I have been using the H7.1 & 2, as well as the H14.1 & 2 for years now, which at the time of their releases they were as good as it gets in portable lighting for people with nocturnal hobbies. Things have kept evolving at Lenser and what I really wanted was a light with a lot of luminance when required, that was also lightweight and could be dimmed down so that the light was very subtle so as not to spook fish on the UK’s beaches at night. I also do a lot of night photography both locally and on my travels. When you are doing long exposures it’s also pretty critical that the light can be taken down very low and ideally have a red filter as it’s the least likely to be picked up by the camera and the fish alike.
    1-3.jpg
    Led Lenser came up with the MH10, it has a maximum output of 600 lumens and drops down to a minimum of 10 lumens, whilst offering between 120 hours and 10 hours of battery life depending on the light output you choose. This weighs in at a staggeringly low 158g, making it extremely light to carry or wear on your head. I think it’s the lightest torch they make vs the powerful light output. Not that it matters much to most of us outdoor people but, it is also a very good looking bit of kit design wise.
    1-4.jpg
    The last fishing session I used the torch on involved casting lures after dark and also landing and releasing Bass whilst on the lowest light setting with the red filter. When I went to leave the spot I removed the filter, spread the beam and pushed it up so that I had a serious amount of lumens for clambering around boulders and rocks where an ankle could be easily turned an hour away from civilisation. We then encountered a thick sea mist as we hiked across the hills toward the car park. This session is not untypical compared to our usual adventures with rod and reel but, the torch is ideal, it is clear the manufacturer has listened to anglers feedback. I would use it for camping, the dog walk, hiking, jogging, boating, night photography or even hunting in low light, it would also be a great option to sit in the car glove box.
    1-2.jpg
    So, in conclusion, this would be a fantastic torch for beach anglers all over the UK. There is certainly more than enough light output and the three light settings mean that you can run it very low so as not to startle fish that may be feeding in close. The added benefit is it coming with an excellent red filter for bass angling or night photography. I think the pricing point of around £85 presents real value for money and the added reassurance that it’s very well made unlike many unreliable options out there on the market today."
    1-5.jpg

Here are a couple of links to the torch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...ia-21&linkId=e77cab33acd7da9efd1b8295ac866078

https://www.veals.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?WD=torches&PN=Led-Lenser-MH10-Headlamp-6619.html#SID=11

We'll be reviewing a lot of angling related products moving forward, rods, reels, terminal tackle, clothing etc. It's important that you guys understand that we'll only recommend or endorse products that we would choose to use ourselves as anglers.

Cheers

Chris

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

Great review, Chris.

That will be my next one, when my 14r dies.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  3. jackjock

jackjock Member

Great review Chris with some fantastic pictures, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Z20LEH

Z20LEH Member

Fantastic Review, this looks a nice bit of kit for not a lot of Money

• Like Like x 1
  5. zzip-to-it

zzip-to-it Member

Great lamp

• Like Like x 1
  6. seer

seer Guest

Was looking at these yesterday in Weymouth angling centre look ok but think Fenix 25r is better made

• Like Like x 1
  7. Black Tide

Black Tide Guest

The build quality is nice on the MH10. I had a quick look at the Fenix also. It seems like there are quite a few differences between the two.
    The fenix is heavier but, has a higher output on its turbo mode (1000 lumens) but, that lasts 1.5 hrs. You can run the MH10 for 10 hours at 600 lumens, wheras the Fenix will only run 2.5 hours at 350 lumens if I am
    Understanding the spec properly.

34888A50-BAD1-4A67-B711-0B2B31FC815D.png

8. Thames Swampy

Thames Swampy Member

Great review

• Like Like x 1
  9. sandeel268

sandeel268 Member

I had a look at the MH10 in Go Outdoors about 2 weeks ago , very nice well put together head torch , with good light output and long battery life on high beam, I have been using both the Led Lenser H7 and h7r, for a few years now and they have never let me down, I will be getting one of these as its on my xmas list to santa via wifey .

Great review and some amazing pictures there Chris , thanks Paul

• Like Like x 1
  10. p smokey

p smokey Member

Thanks for the review i ordered one yesterday and have just seen your post which is reassuring. Luckily the shop only had a display model left so hopefully I'll get it a bit cheaper.

Regards Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ronnie pinkery

ronnie pinkery Member

Nice pics

• Like Like x 1
  12. colina

colina Member

How comfortable do you find the MH10 as it does not have a top strap over your head?
    I find that a top strap allows you to have less tension around your head while the top strap supports the light. With a strap only around the head you need the strap to be tight.

Full marks to Lensor for supplying a 3400 mAh battery, where Fenix are still using 2600 batteries as standard. (Edited - std battery in Fenix is 2600 not 2200)

So far I have been unable to find any independent reviews that confirm the 10 hour runtime at 600 lumen.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. colina

colina Member

>>You can run the MH10 for 10 hours at 600 lumens, wheras the Fenix will only run 2.5

The spot light on the HP25R will run for 4.5 hours @ 350 lumens, the 2.5 hour figure is for the floodlight.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  14. rodney adler

rodney adler

Not to put a spanner in the works.But when i read a otherwise good review without
    any bad points,i get suspicious.Nothing is without its bad points,and a serious review needs
    to mention them.Spoiled a very good review for me,and made it difficult to entirly believe.
    A review should not sound like a advertisement for a product,and unfortunatly most
    probably not intended, this one does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Black Tide

Black Tide Guest

It's a comfortable torch on the head and its light weight means there is no need for a central strap like the more powerful models which need to support a heavier battery pack. There is no slipping or moving about. It's worth noting that Lenser make a lot of torches for runners and other athletes which also don't have central straps on account of their light weights.

On the battery life, its a trade descriptions act thing, if it didn't do as stated on their website they would leave themselves open to legal recourse.

16. Black Tide

Black Tide Guest

I like the torch a lot, it's a simple product, it does exactly what it says in my review. I spend a lot of time fishing, camping and climbing about after dark, my review is relevant to specifically anglers. If you do one bad review, then nobody believes you again, or reads another, your reputation becomes dust. My best advice to you would be to pick one up in a shop, try it and seek more reviews if you have doubts about this particular torch Rodney.

17. jackjock

jackjock Member

Like you Rodney I,m rather suspicious of reviews because of past products I,ve bought that when I,ve used them have no where come up to the hype that people have gave them. Some times to get a honest review and I mean a honest review is near on impossible. Like Chriss on here I,ve gave reviews on this forum and ive always tried to give a review that's honest and is biased on the actual use of the product . The only problem ive found when giving a review on any thing is where all individual's and what I find good you or some one else may find crap. So what I try and do right or wrong is to read in between the lines.
    Got to a agree on what you have said there Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rodney adler

rodney adler

Yes you are absolutly right Mike,like you say, you have to read between the lines.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rodney adler

rodney adler

No doubts that your review is your honest opinion.And i am not above trying one based on your review.:) Just saying that there is always something to inprove upon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jackjock

jackjock Member

Like getting one for free just to try it out.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1