Loch etive advice
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Loch etive advice

Discussion in 'Scotland Catch Reports' started by scotty_boy90, Aug 1, 2020.

1. scotty_boy90

scotty_boy90 Member

Hi folks,

My pal and I fished etive today for 8 hours and had a small dog fish and a small scorpion fish to show for our efforts... Not a great deal!

We fished the South shore of etive and although it was beautiful it didn't produce great fishing for us.

We will be fishing tomorrow on a dropping tide to low and then fishing a few hours of the flood.

We have bluey, mackerel, squid, prawns and trout as bait...

Please help, pms appreciated!

2. flappyfish

flappyfish Member

Nice one.. keep at it.

3. liam muizelaar

liam muizelaar Member

Pretty much sums up Etive - it’s nothing if not inconsistent!

I’ve had more success at the lower and upper reaches than I have in the middle of the Loch -Ardchattan priory etc. has resulted in more poor session than good, for me at least. If you’ve got an ebb tide coinciding with darkness try around the windsock (Connell) area for spurs.
    Further up the Loch around and past Bonawe will see you in deeper water again with the chance of spurs during all tides but be prepared to wait for them to show up.

Etive is a beautiful place to fish but it’s off more than it’s on and it can be on one night and off the next!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. scotty_boy90

scotty_boy90 Member

Thanks for the replies.

We will be fishing today through the day, unfortunately not at night.

5. codboy66

codboy66 Member

I've had some success lately just a little ways short of Bonawe village...before you get to the school and houses.
    A few doggies.....Spurs and decent Thornbacks.
    Barely half a mile before the village you can get the car off the road.....it's just after a passing place, on the right hand side as your driving out. Down the bank there's a rocky promontory to your left......very deep close in.
    Had success there.....but as it is with Etive, fish out of its skin one day.......nowt the next !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JimmyC

JimmyC Member

Get much more?

7. scotty_boy90

scotty_boy90 Member

Hi folks

Today we headed to the quarry where we met two other groups of people fishing. They had been there since Friday night camping and fishing and they had all blanked.

We headed back round to the priory where we found fishing very tough. Baits were being striped by crabs within 10 minutes. I managed a grey Gurnard which took a dexter wedge lure.

It saved the blank for me but my pal had no success today.

All in all a disappointing weekend fishing wise but good to be out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. codboy66

codboy66 Member

Maybe time to try and seek out some new marks.
    I've always been of the philosophy......if a spot looks fishy, it's worth a throw. Stood me in good stead in nearly 50 years of wetting a line.
    I'd an exceptional day on Etive a few weeks back......it's posted on here.
    That was from a mark I'd never fished before......had looked at it before, but only tried it recently.

Me personally....I shy away from the known marks. Etive's a huge expanse of water, and a beautiful place to fish. It's inconsistency is it's only bad feature.

There's fishy looking marks practically around every corner. Doesn't always ring true......but if you put in the effort, you reap the rewards.

If it was always easy it'd be called "catching"......not "fishing"

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotty_boy90

scotty_boy90 Member

Yeah I agree. It's only the second time I have fished etive from the shore as we usually hire one of dougs boats.

The first day we went to a new mark and I thought it 'looked fishy'. It was a bit of a trek to get there and on the south shore as opposed to the north shore which tends to be fished. We didn't have much success as other than my fishing buddy catching a small lsd and even smaller sea scorpion.

I would return to the first mark again though as although it was a bit of a trek and not very successful I can imagine it producing fish maybe on a different tide.

10. codboy66

codboy66 Member

Oh aye....TFC at Taynuilt, certainly cover a larger area with the boat.
    Haven't tried that in a while, been concentrating on the shore.

Used to have 2 of my own......not anymore. Now.......there IS some good advice for you.....
    Never split with your other half...... as they want half of EVERYTHING !!

And you can't venture far on any Loch with the feckin aft end of an Orkney Fastliner !!! :mad:

Well might be worth trying the mark you fished again.
    May produce on a different day...you never know with Etive.

If you don't mind the trek, in the past I've gone through Glen Etive....from Glencoe, and walked the North shore.

I've found a few marks there that have produced over the years.
    Your well in to the upper reaches there. Maybe an hour's walk or so, wouldn't say it was exceptionally heavy going.
    If you fancy a change of scenery, and don't mind the trek.
    Just have to persevere !

11. Robbienufc123

Robbienufc123 Member

Hi mate can you still fish the quarry do they keep the gates open i heard they blocked it off

We heading up September looking for a mark to fish the friday then the boat on the saturday

12. scotty_boy90

scotty_boy90 Member

I think people still fish it but the gate was locked when we were there. Guys walked in after parking outside I believe.

13. Robbienufc123

Robbienufc123 Member

Ok will the gates be open Saturday morning last thing youd want to be locked in haha

14. liam muizelaar

liam muizelaar Member

No guarantees without asking someone who works there. It’s not a right of way - anglers have been allowed through in the past but there have been loads of complaints from locals about the mess left by some individuals - plus it’s a working quarry. Always courteous to ask if you can go through if there’s someone on site

In the past when I’ve been if there’s no workers on site, sometimes the gates been closed but not locked - so always worth checking.

Haven't been for a few years though so may well have changed

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clanny

Clanny Member

Try spinning with lures. There’s spots with drop offs where you can pick up pollack