lure Fishing With Mono or braid | Page 2
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

lure Fishing With Mono or braid

Discussion in 'Freshwater & Saltwater Lure Fishing.' started by Graham Hill, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Cian

Cian Member

Get yourself over in March and bring your mono !!!!!!!!!
    Remember last year ?:wiggle:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Graham Hill

Graham Hill Member

The old man showed you a thing or two about plastics that day:blink::blink::blink:,,and yes i will be over then(got to pick up the rent) but we must watch the weather 15thMarch as i recall the clarity must be there and a weather watch from mid Feb ,,,
    cheers

gee

3. mark333

mark333 *BASS LURE GURU*

4. fishdorset

fishdorset Member

Ok, another one to throw in on this subject!

Braid has the trait to pick up small particles due to the nature of its make-up. Salt can crystalize in between the threads, this doesn't happen with mono!
    Has anyone noticed with 'cheaper' guides extra wear when using braid over a period of time?
    Salt, sand, well anything can be picked up in the braid and becomes abrasive over time.
    Make sure you wash out the spools after use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Member

I gave up using braid. Tried lots, all gave me lots of unnecessary hassle. The ONLY advantage I could see was pulling out of snags. But I lost more plugs to wind knots suddenly halting the line and it snapping than I do to snags. So, back to mono.

Mono is so NICE to fish with! Dead easy to tie knots, to undo tangles, casts beautifully, invisible in the water, doesn't "bed" on the spool, etc. etc.

I guess if was fishing through kelp, instead of above it, I would think differently!

Yes, I do lose the odd plug to a snag (not always though, 8-10lb is still pretty strong), but I didn't lose less by moving to braid. And braid gave me a lot less fishing time...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ben_Pratt

Ben_Pratt Member

After switching to braid this year I have to say that there is no going back to mono! In my opinion the braided line just makes fishing more exciting as you can feel every bite no matter how small.

I think it is also important to use a reel that has been designed for use with braid. This eliminates problems such as line bedding and helps reduce wind knots.

Braid is also better for hook ups as I found out live baiting down under where I experimented using one rod with braid and one with mono. On average the rod using braid was about twice as likely to result in a hook up after striking than the rod with mono! However, I did lose 200m of expensive braid after a large fish picked up the bait, ran and did not stop running until the spool was emptied.

But obviously fishing with whatever you feel comfortable with will catch you the most fish.

7. Ben_Pratt

Ben_Pratt Member

Just thinking :g:

How about using a long fluro leader of about 1.5 - 2m onto a braid mainline for fishing in gin clear water so that bass don't see the braid as easily and more of a pausing action can be given to the lure. Therefore resulting in the best of both worlds and you do not need to change your spool from braid to mono all the time.

However, this poses one major problem; the knot joining the braid and the leader will limit casting distance + accuracy as it travels through the guides. But this could be solved with a knot less line connector sleeve, do they exist?

8. Ben_Pratt

Ben_Pratt Member

This is how I usually do it - a 50cm to 1m mono/fluro leader. Just trying to think of a way to give you that extra length of "invisible" line so as not to spook the bass in very clear water.

I also use a tiny swivel and this seems to work even though the lure can turn on its side as it passes through the water. But if it catches then it catches.

9. fishdorset

fishdorset Member

Exactly how I got shown to fish it.

Make sure the swivel stays away from the guides and no liners are popped. The shorter leader allows for this.

10. graham_hk

graham_hk Member

FG knot - really small don't even hear it going through the rings

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ben_Pratt

Ben_Pratt Member

12. graham_hk

graham_hk Member

Its proper tricky but pretty satisfying once you get it. Try it with thick braid and leader first before you go down to 10kg stuff

13. Ben_Pratt

Ben_Pratt Member

Cheers Graham, just a few other q's.
    On average how long are the leaders you use this knot for? And how long does it take when you get a bit of practice? Because trying to tie this knot down on the rocks may not be so easy - probably best to tie it at home and use it for the session.

14. ksaro1

ksaro1 Member

Ben,

This is why I use a snap-swivel at the end of my mainline and then make an 18-24" leader with a Surgeon's Loop at each end. One loop goes through the snap-swivel and the over through the lure's attachement. That way, to change lures is as simple as un-looping the end that's through the lure and switching to another lure. No knots needed.

This method may affect the action of certain types of plugs where you may want to use a Rapala Knot, but for general use I find it the simplest method.

15. graham_hk

graham_hk Member

Think the GT boys use it about two rod lengths - I am experimenting with bass but like to have a few turns on the reel.

How long does it take to tie? Less than a min once you know what you are doing. With the link you posted I don't think you need all those overhand knots. I just do 3 or so and I can't break the knot.

I got somebody to show me how and still had to practice (might be a thick as born in dorset - proper job). This website helped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5zRWvJ_3s&feature=related

Graham

16. Bill Portland

Bill Portland Member

I use the small size rig rings to join the leader to the braid, but i only use about 1m of leader so there's no probelm with it having to pass through the rings

17. Bassorama

Bassorama Member

Ben, I use an albright knot and it's never let me down. Actually it has once but that was my own stupid fault :doh:

If you prefer to do it the way Sharpshooter and FD say you could even think about attaching a small weighted teaser to the swivel as well so it looks like the plug is chasing a bait fish? Just a thought.

18. fishdorset

fishdorset Member

A lot of the time I just fish straight through with the braid.

I put on a teaser use a small length of flurocarbon tied to the mainline with a water knot.

19. Hengist Hengalbury

Hengist Hengalbury Member

I've been using braid for around 8yrs now.But still use mono in certian places as it does still have certain advantages over braid.So to me braid's very good but not perfect by any means.

20. paston

paston Member

I am a complete novice lure fisherman, but very keen to improve. My question: For example when fishing for bass (shore) with 20lb braid, should I use a mono or flouro leader? If so, what length and breaking strain?
    Cheers
    Paul