Mackerel
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Mackerel

Discussion in 'North East Catch Reports' started by Gash4444, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Gash4444

Gash4444 Member

Hi guys and girls anyone catching any mackerel yet from the shores i know they're showing in on the north east of Scotland but not see any posts as far as us !

2. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Member

Mackerel have been getting caught on and off all along our coast for 4 weeks dependent on the right conditions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MickMcC

MickMcC Member

Fish a chuck yesterday off the Headland.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HartlepoolCodhead

HartlepoolCodhead Member

Mackeral galore on the Heugh and Pilot pier yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gash4444

Gash4444 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys

6. Hazzo

Hazzo Member

Great and our kids back at work so I'm without transport into Hartlepool, its been very hit n miss over the last month.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Member

With the numbers of fish showing and the tides increasing id be suprised if they cant be caught off the beaches. They were right in the shallows yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bamburghbreaker

bamburghbreaker Member

I had a handful at Craster on Sunday.i wasn't expecting it as it was about 500 casts in with nothing. I thought I had a monster pollock on my spinning rod but it seems 3 good sized mackerel hooked at once on a little spinning rod is quite a good fight

• Like Like x 4
  9. Niathan

Niathan Member

Fish every cast of roker this week .... mostly small but some decent mackerel among them

• Like Like x 1
  10. River

River Guest

Had a canny little session on ssp today.. just grabbed one of my old 12' beachcasters and took 3 cheap reels along.. first was a Hunter Pro 7000, that was buggered after half a dozen casts, next two were D'Wave 4000 reels, both lasted the day, but pants for hauling up one mackerel up the side of the pier. I was gonna take one of my sks blacks and a surfblaster 8000... wish I had now. Can anyone suggest a decent but not too expensive reel for hauling 2 or 3 mackerel up?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gash4444

Gash4444 Member

I just use a cheap fixed spool 30lb line on it. Of Mackie season a Grays mag 6.

12. Niathan

Niathan Member

Yeah I just use a cheap fixed spool aswell with 40lb braid on it does the job pulls 4 up no problems just of eBay then I have reels that I wouldn't want to break fishing for mackerel

13. Hazzo

Hazzo Member

I use an aldi telescopic rod n reel I got there for a fiver years ago but only fish one spinner, it wont haul anything up the pier either so they get handballed, I've not used strings of feathers since the 70's and have plenty fun with very light line/spinner when the macky is in.

• Like Like x 3
  14. regal

regal Member

I use a cheap spinning rod and reel of the chinese variety and even cheaper home made spinners. I do not see the need for strings of feathers/daylites. I saw on facebook marketplace someone selling Mackerel at 1.00 a fish which really boiled my p*ss. Surely most people only need for themselves a maximum of six in one session unless they have plenty of room in a freezer of course. My thinking is only catch what you are going to use as i think that at least 25% of the mackerel that are caught get thrown in a bin at some stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hazzo

Hazzo Member

I've never kept more than 1/2 a dozen a season and I eat them as I've never caught anything using them as bait from the shore.

• Like Like x 2
  16. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Member

I like about 60 in the freezer for bait to see me through the winter. Great bait for whiting, flounders and dabs especially for tipping worm baits off. At the start of the year they are good for cod over clean ground. When traveling to other parts of the country for other species its a main bait. I also clean and freeze a load down for eating. I also supply other family members with them for the barbi. So..... i keep quite a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. River

River Guest

Went to ssp this afternoon for 3hrs, just past the 42 mark.. took my 13' sks black and surfblaster 8000 with me.. in the fish from the off.. nothing mental, just steady away... ended up catching 60, keeping 23 and releasing 37 others that were just over size or under, plenty of small joeys this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gash4444

Gash4444 Member

Hope ya used rubber gloves to set them free ma8

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. regal

regal Member

Mackerel do not survive for long after being handled.
    http://specieshunt.weebly.com/blogs...ther fish, Mackerel,30 hours later on average).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. River

River Guest

Nope.. didn't use rubber gloves, I always handle them with a cotton towel, and the belief that mackerel don't survive after being handled is total bollox!! Mackerel have been caught, handled, tagged and released.... the same fish caught again months later with no adverse affects! Its considered good practice not to handle with bare hands, thats why I use a cotton towel, natural fibres!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1