Boat - Netting at Ardrossan
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Boat Netting at Ardrossan

Discussion in 'Scotland Catch Reports' started by neptunes, Jun 28, 2020.

1. neptunes

neptunes Member

I’ve heard that the fishing at ardrossan has became very poor, especially around the most well known mark. There’s been more and more kayaks frequenting the area, due to its easy access etc.

I’ve been told on good authority that it’s been netted by foreign kayakers, possibly polish.

They’ve also been onto the island for eggs, the island is a reserve and is protected by the rspb.

Both incidents I believe have been reported to the relevant authorities.

The clyde has very few marks that can be considered prolific. I’m all for anglers going out and enjoying the sport and taking the odd one home. This mark could be wiped out in a matter of weeks by good anglers regards the head of decent fish.

When making reports it would be more beneficial not to advertise actual marks, maybe just concentrating on the playing of the fish. Also filming of open water.

If this is what’s happened they’ll be yet another mark on the Clyde that will need time to recover. The roving angler just moves onto another venue and another mark.

The local folk that have fished it regular for years will have to go further afield to find the same sport. Also hope that other marks they know haven’t been touched.

Cheers willie

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. clyderob

clyderob Member

Sign of the times , new cultures, with a very different mind set , are changing many aspects of our past ways of life and freedoms. Was in Arrochar recently and heard a sad tale from a local who said there was an incident at the head of loch long, when a large eastern European work gang arrived and systematically set about totally clearing entire mussel beds , all sizes, leaving absolutely nothing behind to recover. Removing them in barrel loads ; he was that sickened that he felt he had to say something and asked them to consider the damage they were doing by leaving nothing for the future. All he got was dogs abuse and threats of violence.

Funnily enough, myself and a friend had noticed a lack of mussels in a few places that used to be teeming with them and are now barren ,we put it down to pollution or something but now I`m not so sure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. neptunes

neptunes Member

Rob that a very sad indictment on today’s society.
    It’s the I’m alright jack.........vs the guy that wants to protect for future generations.

We hear more and more stories like these and threats of violence are never too far away from the folk that question their actions.

The law as on a previous thread certainly doesn’t look like any deterrent to me. Once all our seas have become deserts, it will be too late.

cheers willie

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LAVRAKI

LAVRAKI Member

I’ve heard about double kayaks and inflatables about at 3 -4 o’clock in the morning.
    Kayakers have every right to fish there as well as we do on boats. It shouldn’t be about ease of access, more about conservation of our sport. If the reef fish are obliterated there will be no point being afloat except for mackerel in season.
    The authorities were informed and did nothing as usual. The Scottish government doesn’t give a toss about the health of fish stocks in the Clyde or anywhere else for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. lochetive

lochetive Member

It’s odd. It’s the same in Loch Etive. Mussel beds have just vanished - not from people collecting them. May have something to do with either pollution from the trout farms or the invasion of zebra mussels. Odd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Malks

Malks Member

Strange that on the east coast we have a report of a local yokel netting illegally and getting caught, even though he was a commercial fisherman and knew the ropes.
    On the west coast we have possibly polish guys netting illegally with impunity and not getting caught. Poland has 300 miles of coastline yet these guys are able to get away with it.
    I'm not convinced that a few guys in kayaks are the reason the Clyde is mainly empty...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. neptunes

neptunes Member

I don’t think by naming names malks on an open forum would help in any way.
    So highlighting my response doesn’t mean it isn’t true. That’s why it was worded the way it was.

My reference about the kayaks wasn’t saying they’re to blame. It was to highlight that videos on here and YouTube have made the place more popular for kayakers.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

cheers willie

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. LAVRAKI

LAVRAKI Member

Me neither, the Clyde is open to all equally, and anglers can hardly be blamed for the lack of fish in it.
    The problem lies with the fact that illegal netting will remove the last bit of decent angling sport we have left on the few marks that the trawlers can't cover, and the threats of violence and repercussions make it despicable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Malks

Malks Member

Nor does it mean it isn't. Just don't put up "I think/believe/was told" unless you are prepared to stand up and say it was them, anything else is lies or rumour mongering just say someone has been setting nets!

10. neptunes

neptunes Member

Malks, would you rather I said nothing?

As I said on my original post, I was told on good authority,what some anglers have seen.

Yes they were polish.

Lies and scaremongering, really?

It looks like I’m not allowed to post a genuine concern without my post being torn apart.

I knew before I posted it that kayakers would be out in force to argue. Congratulations malks you didn’t disappoint. I care about protecting the areas that hold fish, that way the following year I may have a chance of beating my pb.

Let’s make all our fishing marks public, why don’t we? Folk taken the odd fish home isn’t going to damage a reef, is it?

Let’s see in future how all these marks fish, you’ll find that this reef will be fished out soon.
    No more videos or reports, still a good work out and nice scenery though.

I beginning to think I shouldn’t have bothered, maybe if it was more local you’d be worried:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. nicolas valentin

nicolas valentin Member

I agree with you but do we have to stop showing our resources , enjoyment , just because some people decide to wipe out any living creatures . Without people showing their interest it would be no forum whatsoever . Some folks won't be stopped . There is 100 trawlers out there as well . Mind you it will get worst , less work and more hungry people trying everything to survive .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. neptunes

neptunes Member

Nicolas the reason your getting fish is because the trawlers won’t go over rough ground or reefs.
    The majority of trawler are prawn trawlers, they fish over the gravel, sand and mud where the prawns live.

It’s only my opinion that the mark will be fished out soon, then you’ll be back to pulling in the small undersize fish that you’re catching up the rhu narrows/blairvadach area.

Im all for folk fishing and enjoying themselves, but not advertising it. When the marks no longer produce, it’s a case of travelling even bigger distances.

I’m entitled to say how I feel, just like any other members. Time will tell with future reports:thumbsup:

cheers willie

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  13. nicolas valentin

nicolas valentin Member

I agree with you 100 % . I understand your point and I am on your side as well . I enjoy sport fishing , catch and release and so on . Just like littering , why a beauty spot should be littered to hell . Take care buddy . Not much we can do with those folks with net and no life ...

• Like Like x 1
  14. heedthebaw88

heedthebaw88 Member

I hate stories like this, like the netting down at Barassie last year. Its the eternal balance: people who enjoy themselves and share those experiences are, in the age of the Internet and ease of access to information, going to attract the sinister side as well.

This is no doubt rife via Facebook groups as well. The only way to combat it is to have a proper deterrent in place. If someone is on a pier and takes an undersized fish or two, I can understand this being down to a lack of knowledge or a cultural difference. But at the scale we're talking about, those that are at it know fine well that it's illegal.

Without the infrastructure and willingness at a government (be it national or local) level then this will continue unfortunately. I'm quite sure that if a person or group of persons were to impede the netters, the local authorities would intervene much quicker.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Malks

Malks Member

Not at all, there are too many people willing to point the finger of blame. As you have said it is Poles that are doing it then I take that on board, I don`t have a problem with it, I just hate the "I`ve been told/I believe etc" it does no one any favours. Yes there are going to be people who either bend, break, or don`t know the rules of all nations and backgrounds and we have to be aware and have the nads to do something about it, get on the phone get the police involved.

Here`s a for instance, I was at Auchmithie and coming back in while 3 E european guys are paddling past me into the distance towards Arbroath on a sib with just paddles and by the time I`m going up the road an hour and a half later (I was talking to someone), the sib comes back into view. I was concerned when they went past as there was only one life jacket between the three, but even more so as there are only 2 people in the sib now! I asked a guy who had a camera with a mahoosive lens on it if he could see into the sib which he did by taking a picture and blowing it up, just two of them!!!
    I phoned the police and told them of my concern, that either they had lost him or chibbed him, so they said they would send a car out to investigate, they left a message on my phone at home to say all was well and the third guy was seasick and lying down so we could not see him. Illegal stuff going on I don`t see much of apart from the local poachers snigging salmon and they get reported too. the more we do about it the less people will try it on and will be better informed as to the legality of what can and can`t be done here.
    Finally I am not just a kayaker, I beach fish, rock fish, LRF, spin etc etc so that is not why I said what I did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jimbocatfish

jimbocatfish Member

i have been checking my local area recently regarding the rubbish situation caused by what i would call scum anglers,now after a week or two of carefully worded flyers being left on their vehicles there is some signs of improvement.These scumbags need transport to get to and from the places they are plundering,perhaps if they realised there might be a cost to continuing they might have second thoughts.
    I am not suggesting that anybody take the law into there own hands,but sometimes a lightly veiled threat can do the job,just dont expect any help from the authorities,because the authorities are weak.Final point,this area I am talking about has been plagued by foreigners who turn up in a couple of vans when the mackerel are in,they show no respect for locals and do their best to get them to move.....all under the watchful eyes of the two big fag smoking guys who walk up and down telling them what to do and filling bin liners with fish of any size.Still......... more than one way to skin a cat JIM

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. neptunes

neptunes Member

I’ve already said that the authorities have been informed malks. It’s in the original post, it hasn’t been edited.
    My point is the mark is getting huge exposure on social media and media channels.

I’ve fished the mark for years and it always produced fish in all ranges up to doubles. That isn’t the case now, you’ll get the odd 4lb one, but nothing bigger.

If you were to go onto YouTube and type in, sea fishing ardrossan Scotland. Count the amount of videos that come up from kayak fishermen.
    There’s ways of editing videos that don’t show the exact marks.

cheers willie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malks

Malks Member

Apologies, must have misread it...elderly.
    I am careful not to show my positions exactly, just generally, east coast/Fife/mithie/etc

• Like Like x 3
  19. neptunes

neptunes Member

Jim what you’ve said is another facet to episodes that occurring more and more frequently across the country.
    I brought up illegal netting, that every angler who fishes this particular mark or area should be concerned.

I’ve read your posts and contributions over the years Jim and I respect you as a person and an angler.
    You have great knowledge of the Clyde and know how things work when it comes to marks etc.

We all try and share knowledge and help fellow members as best we can. It maybe through PM, but I’m totally against broadcasting marks to the nation and beyond.

It’s not like it’s cod marks that have fresh run fish every spring and winter with the odd ones deciding to stay and become kelpies or red cod.
    The pollack and wrasse stay on these reefs all year round, the odd bigger pollack going out to deeper water in the winter.

Videos are only helping the opportunist to find the exact area to plunder.

cheers willie

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. jimbocatfish

jimbocatfish Member

thanks Wullie,I have the same respect for you and your thoughts regarding the Clyde and its survival,always interested in your posts especially the ones regarding the Clyde.I think we must have been cut from the same cloth Wullie,or are just long enough in the tooth to remember the fishing we had before they destroyed it in every way possible.tight lines Wullie,jim

• Like Like x 4