New to fishing - chesil beach
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

New to fishing - chesil beach

Discussion in 'Newbie Introduction Forum' started by samin alakozay, Jul 23, 2020.

1. samin alakozay

samin alakozay Member

Hi everyone

Hope this message finds you all well

Every year me and my family / friends travel form London to the coast pay for a nice 3-6 mackerel trip on a boat which is really nice...

This year we are still going to do the same routine however we also have something else in mind.

10 of our friends will go down to chesil beach and camp there for 2-3 nights in tents- BBQ what we catch, have fun drink ect

Now being from London our knowledge of fishing is at a all time minimum... I’ve seen some YouTube videos of people catching mackerel/ cod/ conga ect....

Can you guys please help with the equipment I would need.... rod... reel... bait.... lure... weights

Any questions feel free to ask

Thanks in advance for any advice / help!

2. regpude

regpude Member

sounds like a 1 off Samin,for your friends.
    so personally id just say just buy some CHEAP light fishing rods @ reels.
    aswell as some Mackerel flys or some Bright lures,aswell as say 2oz leads.
    mind dont bank on the BBQ,but good luck to them,if the Mackerel are in,then theres food all round.

3. samin alakozay

samin alakozay Member

@regpude

Hey

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

You are 100% right that it’s a one off and the rods may not be used until the next year

Is 12-14ft rod good enough?

What about the reel?

What kind of fishing line do I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TELESCOPIC...id=1595539960&sprefix=12ft+fishing+rod&sr=8-1

Is something like this good enough?

Comes with reel too!

I think I got the basics...

rod... feathers and at the end of the feathers weight... cast out... and before it hits the ground jig it in slowly?

I’m hoping with 6-7 of us fishing we can catch a few fish to bbq

With the feathers I’m assuming mackerel is only hope and any other fish is too advanced for our level of expertises?

Sorry for being so silly here !!

4. TimmyH

TimmyH Member

Don't take offence, fishing is great but I would question 10 of you intending to camp on the beach for 3 days.
    There's few toilets, no real water supply and not many bins for rubbish. A lot of beaches have had a massive problem with litter and people defecating on the beach. I'm not suggesting you would do that but 3 days without a loo is a problem and 10 blokes eating and drinking will create a lot of waste.
    For ideas on tackle have a look at Veals direct.

5. samin alakozay

samin alakozay Member

@TimmyH
    Thanks for your reply.

Your points are completely valid but we have already discussed those points mentioned and have a plan of action.

We would never disrespect the area by leaving a mess regardless if it was me by myself or with a bigger group.

will definitely look at veals direct that’s for the suggestion

6. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips PLASTIC FANTASTIC The hard plastic and rubber guy Administrator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Welcome to WSF:)

Please try the beginners and tackle and equipment forums.

7. TimmyH

TimmyH Member

Go Outdoors also do some rods and tackle, often at silly cheap prices. I would suggest rods lighter than beachcasters, that way you can do lures, feather or even float fishing from the piers at West Bay or the rocks at Portland Bill.
    Look into getting a bit of bottom tackle, Chesil can throw up some surprises, besides, you won't want to be flinging feathers for 15 hours. Fishing overnight with a mackerel head or fillet close in may tempt a bass but be aware of minimum legal size limits. Most important though, if you catch mackerel you need a bucket for handwashing and a good supply of old hand towels. Those scales get everywhere!

8. fishing hobbit

fishing hobbit Member