Out from Portland for some mixed fishing. 22/7/20.
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Out from Portland for some mixed fishing. 22/7/20.

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by manicdev, Jul 27, 2020.

1. manicdev

manicdev Member

Hi all, well it's been a couple weeks since I had been able to get out in my boat so was getting really exited to be planning a trip out of Portland mid last week :BigGrin:
    Only problem was my "crew man" was too busy with work, so single handed launch n retrieve it is then :smile2:
    Launched from Castletown around 7 am (1 1/2 hrs before high) meaning not coming in till around 7.30 ish in the evening, so a nice long day ahead.
    I was meeting up with Steve (Wreck fisher) and Jim (Espadon) outside of Portland harbour at 8am and then going off to try a few different things for the day :)
    Started with an area trying for Plaice ....... No ...... Not a single one boated by all three of us.....Never mind, I did manage a conger :eek:, a Black Bream :cool:, and LOADS of Gurnard :D:laugh:
    I had bought and individually wrapped some nice ragworm.......and duly forgot to bring it :(:mad:......so thank's Jim for the rag you let me have, I owe you :thumbsup::thumbsup:.
    Next tried a reef for Pollack ect and got probably my PB but never weighed it, it was well over 10 lb tho :D:D
    Tried for the first time "slow jigging", loved that but probably not doing it right.
    The big one came to a Mackerel strip fished on a 4 ft trace dropped to the bottom and reeled up six turns to keep it off the bottom while I jigged.
    Had four Pollack and a Pout.
    Next moved on to the Shambles for the afternoon, but that's where the "catching" ended......never had another fish :(:(, but never mind, I loved every minute of it :):).
    The other's had fish but not me this day.
    Came back in around 7.30-8.00 pm.
    Thank's Steve and Jim for being buddy boat's, that was the first time I have gone round "the bill" .... some "tasty water" there :laugh::laugh:.
    Can't wait till I get out again :):).
    Here's a vid of the day, I hope you enjoy.

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Wreck fisher

Wreck fisher Member

Glad you enjoyed your day out. Interesting that those pollack went for the mackerel strip not the jigs, usually the slow jigs nail them.

It can be eventful rounding the Bill, that was near High tide on a spring, no wind when you went West, so into a few knots of current! When you came back to the East the tide had only just started the other way so was ok, just a bit fidgety.

• Like Like x 1
  3. manicdev

manicdev Member

Had two on the jigs first off, then it died, and the Mackerel had two later. I think the jigs work better on slack, I should have tried a shad or something different when it started to run a little bit I suppose.
    Never mind tho, it was great fun :thumbsup:.
    I would like to try that race around the bill some time, i'll bet it's good for bass :).

4. Espadon

Espadon Member

Well done Dave on the Pollock i think if the tide had been a bit stronger you would have had more what a great day out and a great video.
    I ended up with 3 Turbot 1 Bass a Pollock, 2 brill one dropped off at the net grrrrr.
    That jigging mark normally produces Bream as well as Pollock.
    Tight lines

Espadon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wreck fisher

Wreck fisher Member

The Bill / race is one of the marks where the commercial bass boats catch their quotas - you see a lot of them with the beige coloured cool boxes on board.

• Like Like x 1
  6. manicdev

manicdev Member

Thank you Jim, and (again) thank's for the worm :thumbsup:
    I think the slow jigs need slack water, been watching some vids on it. I maybe should have changed lure.
    And next time there I will have a go for the bream, I love bream to eat :)
    Well done on your catch too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's good to know, i'll have to definitely have a go at that.
    Do they live bait for the bass ? or would lures be a good alternative if I can't get eels.

7. Wreck fisher

Wreck fisher Member

Some trawl the shambles at slack for eels and use them, but lures are also effective. If you want the bigger fish then a live mackerel works very well. Be aware that the drift line will take you directly into the roughest water - what you saw Wednesday was a very calm version of the water around the Bill.

• Like Like x 1
  8. manicdev

manicdev Member

Hahaha yes I was thinking that it's probably worse than that usually.
    I wouldn't do it if it looks too bad tho bud :thumbsup:
    Gonna hopefully have a little go next time i'm down there, looking maybe good for next weekend but haven't looked at the tides and times yet :)

9. Bass Ally

Bass Ally Member

Excellent video, love watching everyone else fishing, makes up for not been out myself, thanks for the report

• Like Like x 1