river tay at logierait
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

river tay at logierait

Discussion in 'Scotland Catch Reports' started by lingking, Jul 31, 2020.

1. lingking

lingking Member

staying in one of their cabins last week in august gives me the chance to fish on here.i dont fly fish but im told bait is ok????? any advice would be good thanks in advance

2. Malks

Malks Member

Salmon fishing is dire on the Tay, has been going down the pan over 30 years or more, sorry to say, however I caught my first salmon there. I'm not up on the rules but I don't think you can use bait for salmon, trout perhaps. Spinning?
    Tight lines

3. Malks

Malks Member

Salmon fishing is dire on the Tay, has been going down the pan over 30 years or more, sorry to say, however I caught my first salmon there. I'm not up on the rules but I don't think you can use bait for salmon, trout perhaps. Spinning?
    Tight lines

4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

6. Malks

Malks Member

River has been up and is starting to drop and clear, most fish at Almond mouth, they might drop back as the water drops.

7. Sadung

Sadung Member

1645356175623408. plenty fish Cargill

Attached Files:

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  8. Fredo

Fredo Member

There are a lot of fish in the Tay this season. Just be mindful that the river is full of dickheads in rafts,etc in the area you plan to fish. Be prepared to fish early and late to avoid them. You are only half an hour away from some good beats, and if you do not mind spending ££££s book a day or two down river.

9. Sunrayshadow

Sunrayshadow Member

With respect the dickheads you refer to are not just in Kayaks or rafts (and they are entitled to be there).There are plenty of dickheads cutting about the banks with fishing rods too, not to mention the wild camping ****heads who literally leave their ****e behind them.

You do however make a decent point regarding the number of fish in the Tay (and other east coast rivers). This summer is quite unprecedented with beats doing 3,4 and 5 x the five year average. A small silver lining from Covid that has nothing to do with the rivers being untouched by rod anglers in the spring/early summer. All the research into our ‘missing salmon’ has been overtaken by the impact on Covid on interceptions to the activities of trawling. Where it is happening I have no idea but this is much more than a good grilse year.

10. Fredo

Fredo Member

Not buying the trawler bit. There is an excellent Tweedbeats editorial explaining why. The "good" seasons in 2010 and 2011 happened (not predicted at all) when trawlers were working.
    No doubt you have seen the recent pictures of the guys in rafts, all failing to adhere to the 2M rule. I know what I call them.

Edit. This one -
    https://www.tweedbeats.com/news/14_june_2020__news_editorial

11. Sunrayshadow

Sunrayshadow Member

That is of course entirely your choice but the article you cite ‘explains’ absolutely nothing. Long on rambling and opinionated rhetoric but lacking any actual evidence supporting an alternative, apart from the vagaries of nature. How ironic that he talks of ‘guff and conjecture’! So no, like you but for distinctly different reasons, I’m not having that either

12. Fredo

Fredo Member

Thats fair enough, but trawlers were working right through during the last couple of random good seasons. Maybe they were having a year or two off from netting salmon, who knows? :p

13. Sunrayshadow

Sunrayshadow Member

Agreed Fredo whatever has happened this year it has been good:)